It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Iowans thrown out of public hearing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Hundreds of Iowans thrown out of public hearing

www.desmoinesregister.com

More than 500 people who are upset with a plan to change Iowa's tax laws were cleared from a hearing tonight at the Iowa House after they interrupted multiple times

“This is the most atrocious thing I’ve seen in the history of the 15 years I’ve been a lobbyist. Pat Murphy has acted like a jack-booted Nazi,” said Ed Failor Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief, a conservative taxpayers’ rights group from Muscatine with 50,000 members..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
even when people show to protest what we feel is a wrong act, the government eventually will get rid of the voices that try stand and be "peaceful". what does this tell us, it tells me that government is forcing people to accept the laws or regulations that THEY enact!!! even when the people try and voice an opinion we are forced to accept the opinions of the few.... this really is wrong. WE elected these individuals, WE pay the taxes, WE are the people.

www.desmoinesregister.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

Isn't that the truth. If Joe and Jane Average don't pull their heads out of their a***s, we are going to live in a totalitarian regime. Oh wait,

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Protesting... yeah like they care about us protesting. Protesting at the G20 will earn the same thing: NOTHING.

The only peaceful protest that will work is MASSIVE STRIKES.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
They are Iowans. I mean cmon, they should be thrown out of a hearing because they are Iowans.

Sorry, but the truth lies within the article. They were disrupting the meeting. There is a time and place for such things, but to do so at a hearing is uncalled for.

Obviously this group forgot all about parliamentary procedure. They would have been right to demand time to voice their opinion on the matter. But to intentionally disrupt the meeting is not the right way.

Throwing out protesters from a public hearing is not wrong. They were disruptive and not participating according to standing parliamentary procedure. If they had followed the rules they would have an opportunity to voice their concerns the right way and make it known to the council that they did not like the proposal.

[edit on 4/1/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

At first I agreed with your statement. Then I thought about it for a second. This isn't one or two...or even 10 people "disrupting" the meeting. There where HUNDREDS doing it. Now this tells me that the WILL OF THE PEOPLE is not being done. If that be the case, the people needs to out their representitive and have new elections.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

That's the problem, when hundreds of people are disrupting a formal hearing it weakens a republic. Order should reign and if hundreds were against it then they should have spoken in turn. Imagine hundreds of people at a public hearing telling the council to shove it in an orderly and respectful way?

Then if the council ignores that public sentiment, done in the correct fashion they would have just cause to protest.

Peaceful protests are a good thing for a free society. But they must be done in the correct forum. A hearing is an ordered and regulated forum, and not a place to hold a protest.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Citizens have the right to confront their government when they do not agree with what that government is doing . It is a constitutional right. If the will of the people is not being carried out, then the people of Iowa have the right to recall the their state reps and senators, and even the governor, and start all over again. I reccomend they begin today!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Massive strikes AND withdrawing ALL your money from the banks would wake the people up , and let TPTB know we are not to be ignored, But unfortunately people are asleep and won't wake up no matter how much people shout when protesting.

This has to be done by ALL or none at all, and if thats the case then we get what we desrve, a nice RFID chip and pills that will not only contain all the 'nutrients' and vitamins our body needs at a nice price for the doctors to make a bit of profit but also a nice healthy dose of flouride to keep us sedate.

top topics

join