It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daytime Shooting Star? Something else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I didn't notice this when I was filming but for a split second a tiny light appeared in the sky by the sun, shot toward the sun and disappeared(happens in a fraction of a second). Can shooting stars be seen in the day like this? Comets that small? I put a video on youtube but youtube sucks so you're going to have to watch it in HD if you really want to see it.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
seen two of those, but not that small..
One during day, but they were 6 months apart and in the same position in the sky...They traveled N to S ...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Do you think they where stars? I've never seen a shooting start in the day before. I didn't think it was possible, especially that close to the sun.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It is possible to see meteors during the daytime, but it's extremely rare, and you are less likely to see them looking towards the sun.

In this case, it looks like something caught in the wind catching the sunlight. Probably either a seed or a bug IMHO.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I have the original m2ts 1440x1080 file. Looking at it there is looks as if it goes behind the clouds. I can upload the source file tomorrow sometime(I'm not home right now so I'm leeching Internet with my laptop from someone who lives around here).

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CoverlessTech

Hard to tell for sure, but it could just as easily be lost in the glare of the sun.

We have no points of reference that can give us clues as to how far away the UFO is, but the rate of travel suggests something close. Chances are we will never know for sure.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What is needed as a point of reference in a video like this? I had always assumed it was the horizon or some object on earth(people always say that when there is nothing but sky in the video). I have the horizon, a few cars and a house, what else is needed(for future reference)?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CoverlessTech

You had the right idea when you said "looks as if it goes behind the clouds". That would be a point of reference, if we could say that it had gone behind some object, with a degree of certainty.

That would tell us that it's probably a minimum of a few tens of thousands of feet away (at a guess), and must therefore be moving fairly fast, if it had indeed gone behind a cloud of course.

With such a fleeting appearance, it's going to be impossible to tell either way with 100% certainty.

One other way you could work out how far away it was (or at least tell apart objects that are a few feet off the ground from those that are 100's + feet off the ground), would be to film an object/the same patch of sky simultaneously with two cameras that are a few meters apart. Comparing the differences between the two sets of footage would tell you weather the object was near or very far off.

Ideally you want some solid or predictable frames of reference in frame too - eg. a prominent building and/or a celestial body eg sun, moon, stars etc, and make sure the time is correct, to the nearest second on your equipment preferably. Doing all these things would make the footage very valuable (potentially, depending on how much attention to detail you paid) if you really did catch something, even if you can't run two cameras, this would always help future investigations into the footage.

You already did most of these things, so off to a pretty good start I'd say. Not to mention using a tripod, which is something people often forget

By the way, if you try blocking out the sun, say using a streetlight or tall pole, you'll get much better contrast between stuff in the sky, and the sky which will make them easier to see, but be warned that there is a surprising amount of detritus in the air, any of which can catch the light and become briefly visible.

Depending on where you live, this can be quite bad at certain times of year, and if you have a search here (let me know if you can't find them), you should find a couple of threads at least (try a search string along the lines of "thousands of triangle shaped ufos") with footage where people have filmed the air when it's a blizzard of insects/seeds.

Film at night when it's clear, would be my advice, then you won't see all the stuff that's in the air, so any "real" UFOs would stand out.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

top topics

join