It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EID card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Where I live, they have introduced the EID (electronic identity card) 5 years ago. Last week I had to turn in my old plastic card to get my eid. I'm not sure which other countries use these, it's a plastic card with a chip on it. Do you guys have them in the USA?
Soon I found myself having a big discussion with the lady behind the counter, she wanted me to activate the ship with a pin code I received. I told her I didn't want to have an activated chip and she said that if I refused to activate, I would risk a 500€ fine. So I activated.
I asked her to get a print with the information that was on the chip. She said she couldn't give me one and that I had to buy a card reader so I could make a print myself. I don't want to make a print with a limited card reader, I want her to give me a print out of THEIR card reader. anyway. She also warned me that if I removed the chip from the card I could get prosecuted...
The discussions over here are big, what is on the chip that you cant access yourself?

My eid is now hanging on my fridge with a large magnet (probably won't do it)
I wonder if there is a way to make the chip unreadable without distroying it?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Interesting.. Did they say what the chip was suppose to be for?

I don't think a card reader would do any good... I might be wrong but I think the only thing that is stored on the chips is a unique number.

Thats why I don't get the whole health/safety aspect of it. It seems like an excuse to get you to agree to have all your medical information on a database. I think the chip just gives the computer a number and the computer looks for the information they put on the network for that PIN.

They can probably read these chips from farther then they say and track our every move digitally. Would probably be cheaper and more practical than cameras.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Maybe you should ask the government dept (I assume it's govmt issued) about the laws regarding the card and not a checkout lady at some store. She might be right, but then again, she certainly isn't the authority on it by any means.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bumr055

That’s why I don't get the whole health/safety aspect of it. It seems like an excuse to get you to agree to have all your medical information on a database. I think the chip just gives the computer a number and the computer looks for the information they put on the network for that PIN. They can probably read these chips from farther then they say and track our every move digitally. Would probably be cheaper and more practical than cameras.

The FINAL solution as one fellow called it, is this: BAR CODE every child at birth, using the inside left forearm as history bears was the safest place to put a number.

Then as you go through life, as you enter a place for service, you flash your arm, they run the scanner, you get the service or goods you want, your bank account is EFT’d and you move on! The mundane things of life taken care of by the Great Computer in the Sky!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gypsk

EID card Where I live, they have introduced the EID (electronic identity card)

When I saw EID I thought first of the Muslim equivalent to Christian Christmas or Jewish Hanukkah.

Eid ul-Fitr, often abbreviated to Eid, is a Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.

Eid is an Arabic word meaning "festivity", while Fit.r means "to break the fast;” and so the holiday symbolizes the breaking of the fasting period. It is celebrated starting on the first day of the Islamic month of Shawwal.

Eid ul-Fitr is a three day celebration and is also known as the "Smaller Eid" as compared to the Eid ul-Adha that lasts four days and is called the "Greater Eid" Muslims are commanded by the Qur'an to complete their fast on the last day of Ramadan and then recite the Takbir all throughout the period of Eid [Qur'an 2:185 (Translated by Shakir)]. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

My eid is now hanging on my fridge with a large magnet (probably won't do it)
I wonder if there is a way to make the chip unreadable without distroying it?

I assume it is the Smart Card with contacts not RFID.

If it follows ISO 7816 (it should), you should be able to fry it internally by connecting 30V DC or more to pins 1 and 5.

1 is upper left contact (VCC) and 5 is upper right or center contact (GND)

Not sure why you would want to kill it. Can you purchase things etc. without it?

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Maybe you should ask the government dept (I assume it's govmt issued) about the laws regarding the card and not a checkout lady at some store. She might be right, but then again, she certainly isn't the authority on it by any means.

The lady behind the counter, I mean the lady that gave my my eid card, she works for the major in my town so she should know the laws involved. I had to activate it to be able to receive the card

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

MIcrowave it. Or hit it with a hammer. Do'nt microwave it for long, maybe 5 seconds. If it burns the card, and you can see where it got messed up, you went too long.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
When I saw EID I thought first of the Muslim equivalent to Christian Christmas or Jewish Hanukkah.

Eid ul-Fitr, often abbreviated to Eid, is a Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.

Eid is an Arabic word meaning "festivity", while Fit.r means "to break the fast;” and so the holiday symbolizes the breaking of the fasting period. It is celebrated starting on the first day of the Islamic month of Shawwal.

Eid ul-Fitr is a three day celebration and is also known as the "Smaller Eid" as compared to the Eid ul-Adha that lasts four days and is called the "Greater Eid" Muslims are commanded by the Qur'an to complete their fast on the last day of Ramadan and then recite the Takbir all throughout the period of Eid [Qur'an 2:185 (Translated by Shakir)]. en.wikipedia.org...

hehe, sorry for the confusion

didn't know it also meant 'festivity' in Arabic

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrganizedChaos

I assume it is the Smart Card with contacts not RFID.

If it follows ISO 7816 (it should), you should be able to fry it internally by connecting 30V DC or more to pins 1 and 5.

1 is upper left contact (VCC) and 5 is upper right or center contact (GND)

Not sure why you would want to kill it. Can you purchase things etc. without it?

Cheers!

yeah I think it's the smart card...

You only need it for purchases when it involves credit, otherwise it's mostly the police that reads the chip or other gov agencies. For everything regarding healthcare we have another chiped card, the sis-card, it contains information about every medicine you ever bought in every pharmacy... another pest! But they are planning to have it all on one chip in the future.

I guess at one point you can't go around in a society with a not working chip. For now it just bugges me that every information there is about a person in stored on it... and we all know the possibilities of a chip.
I just want it not working because I feel it invades my privacy.

btw, I have a card reader and on mine it just shows the basic information that was visible on the old id cards.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gypsk

. . didn't know it also meant 'festivity' in Arabic

It's true we don't speak Arabic in public much anymore.

[edit on 3/27/2009 by donwhite]

new topics

top topics

join