It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find a new weapon in MRSA war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
MRSA infection is caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria — often called "staph." MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. MRSA can be fatal.

Source: Mayo Clinic

Now for some breaking news! This story was first hit the internet about 30 minutes ago according to Google search:

Northern Ireland scientists find a new weapon in MRSA war
Belfast Telegraph - ‎23 minutes ago‎

The following report was taken from two sources:

The Worldview blog

Belfast Telegraph

A new weapon that could help wipe out the deadly MRSA virus has been developed by researchers from Northern Ireland.

Experts from Queen’s University have discovered new agents that can kill colonies of MRSA and other antiboitic resistant hospital-acquired |infections.

The antimicrobial agents also prevent any growth of the potentially lethal bacteria.

The breakthrough was made by a team of eight researchers from the Queen's University Ionic Liquid Laboratories (QUILL) Research Centre led by Brendan Gilmore, a lecturer in Pharmaceutics, and assistant director of QUILL Dr Martyn Earle. The discovery has been published in the |scientific journal, Green Chemistry.

Dr Earle said: “We have shown that, when pitted against the ionic liquids we developed and tested, biofilms offer little or no protection to MRSA, or to seven other infectious microorganisms.

“Our goal is to design ionic liquids with the lowest possible toxicity to humans while wiping out colonies of bacteria that cause hospital acquired infections.”

Many types of bacteria, such as MRSA, exist in colonies that stick to the surfaces of materials. The colonies often form coatings, known as biofilms, which protect them from antiseptics, disinfectant, and |antibiotics.

Ionic liquids, just like the table salt sprinkled on food are salts. They consist entirely of ions — electrically-charged atoms or groups of atoms. Unlike table salt, however, which has to be heated to over 800 degrees celsius to become a liquid, the ionic |liquid antibiofilm agents remain |liquid at the ambient temperatures found in hospitals.

One of the attractions of ionic liquids is the opportunity to tailor their physical, chemical, and biological properties by building specific features into the chemical structures of the positively-charged ions (the cations), and/or the negatively-charged ions (the anions).

Microbial biofilms are not only problematic in hospitals, but can also grow inside water pipes and cause pipe blockages in industrial processes.

Mr Gilmore added: “Ionic liquid based antibiofilm agents could potentially be used for a multitude of medical and industrial applications. For example, they could be used to improve infection control and reduce patient morbidity in hospitals and therefore lighten the financial burden to healthcare providers. They could also be harnessed to improve industrial productivity by reducing biofouling and microbial-induced corrosion of processing systems.”

I am looking for related videos about this story. When I find them I will post them at the Worldview blog

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I just added a video to the story. It is called:

MRSA - The New Aids

The video is at the Worldview blog

More information as I find it

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
damn I contracted it a few years ago at Toronto Western Hospital, put this way it almost killed me , my lungs have never and will be the same . Man it would be great if they wiped it out .

[edit on 24-3-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OpusMarkII

I know, this could be a big story!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The Russians found a way to treat MRSA years ago.

Its just that the FDA that restricts there use in the US.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Bacteriophage's are used to treat many hard to treat bacterial infections in Russia and other countries.

Before penicillin they were commonly used in the US.

tahilla.typepad.com...
www.sciencedaily.com...
www.phageinternational.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Can I post your comment on the worldview blog?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I just found this report:

News4 WOAI uncovers a new study that finds MRSA could be carried on about one-third of the stethoscopes used by Emergency Medical Service Workers.
Firefighters and EMT workers in San Antonio got an email today as a reminder to clean their instruments.

Here are the link to the story:

Worldview blog

WOA1

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsrk30
reply to post by ANNED

Can I post your comment on the worldview blog?

Yes yes yes. This is one of the new/old treatments that are being rediscovered.

The word needs to be spread to get the FDA off there a**.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thank you, I posted your comments at the end of the article called, Breakthrough in superbug fight

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Suggest trying MMS for such things and taking a teaspoon of unrefined sea salt every day.

top topics

join