It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the Noosphere

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've writen an essay about the Noosphere on my blog that I would like anyone who reads this forum to read:

Welcome to the Noosphere

If you aren't familiar with the concept, the Noosphere is a theory of a global consciousness emerging out of the complexity of our society. The analogy I liken it to is that if our own consciousness emerges out of the complexity of our neurons passing impulses (memes), then a more complex entity will emerge out of the passing of memes from one person to another. Any input would be appreciated.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Where have you been hiding................

Why is this giving me an odd feeling in my stomach, something that even I to have come to realize, A global collective consciousness.

Though I have not read this essay, I'm going to assume that you and I are talking about the same phenom.

Deep

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Yep. I'd read the essay - there's lots of good links and some more comments at the end.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Did you write this essay?

This is your blog ?

Deep

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yep. I've written before about the global consciousness, but I can't seem to find the piece. If you're interested in spiritual type concepts, you should read this one on 21 grams and the comments:

21 grams

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
yeah, man. collective unconscious, too. there is a vast virtual machine which is the collective output of man onto different media, whether audio/acoustic, video/light, psychic/electrochemical, words on paper, magnetic disks, sculpture, painting, myth.....
i'll read your paper later(i read some).

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Let me know.. I'm looking for feedback.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This global rising in consciousness is EXACTLY why there is going to be a revolution. The mass control systems are being realized and people are waking up, they are becoming aware of their spiritual selves and the ones who keep them from developing theirselves and the ones taking their freedoms in such subtle ways. People are gaining awareness of truth.

My freinds, more and more people are realizing the rise in consciousness, and are going to be willing to take the necessary actions to keep humanity in existance for the remainder of its evolution.

This is the Age of Enlightenment. This generation is spawning revolutionaries, the world will be changed forever.

The Revolution
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by The Quiet Storm]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChefQuix
read this one on 21 grams and the comments:

21 grams

Thats good, I see it does not happen in dogs, very intresting.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I thought your essay was excellent and I very much enjoyed reading it.

For some good sci-fi that partially deals with these concepts in a very interesting way, check out Julian May's Pleocine Series and Galatic Milieu Series. These works continue the Noosphere concept into the future a ways and on a Galaxy-wide scale.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yes, eventually the concept of a Noosphere does lend itself to galactic civilizations and such. Whether or not that will ever happen of course is pure speculation - at this point all we can deal with it guiding our global consciousness in a way that will benefit humanity the most in the long term.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   

at this point all we can deal with it guiding our global consciousness in a way that will benefit humanity the most in the long term.

And how exactly do you propose to do this ? How can you influence an entire global society ?

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Six degrees of seperation. Once a meme has reached a 'critical mass' it will cascade and (conceivably) infect the entire world if it is powerful enough. The internet is a good start, but obviously it will only affect those of us affluent enough to have a connection. Access to the Internet should be a fundamental human right, however when a billion people have enough trouble finding a meal to eat then obviously getting a computer with net access is low on their priorities.

I suppose a religion could be started, but that's always derided and sneared upon as cultish. Of course, these are the people who wait in silent anticipation of being wisked away by 'the rapture' or kill innocent women and childen in the name of 'their god'.

At the end of the day I can only hope to get people to think a little bit more about the nature of the Universe around them. The teachings in the Bible and the Quran were helpful at the time but are based on pre-scientifc values and thoughts. I think that Jesus and Mohammed were just normal humans like you and I but were 'idolized' to the point where they became more in the eyes of their followers. All they had were some good ideas, which of course are now ignored. I mean you can't go as far off the path that Jesus spoke of as a christian's wanton disregard of that fundamental tenet - Love thy Neighbour.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
In the days of Jesus and Mohhamed, society was more ignorant than they are now, willing to follow an ideal without any sense of cognition. Or are they, why does it seem that we are just as ignorant if not more ?

I agree that the Internet should be a must have tool for society. The same was said for the television.

I still have not read your essay though......lol !!!!!!!!

Im reading it as we speak !

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

If you believe (like me) that the actions we take collectively as a species affect the shape of the Global Consciousness, then it's logical to say that if the majority of people are making Good decisions then the core Morals of the 'higher entity' we are creating will be Good as well.

I agree, but the problem lies that those making change, affect only certain sub-par societies. Every country has its own core morals which in thier eyes are deemed pious and law. If society was to act and govern it self as a collective, maybe we could create a ripple affect.

A global system of goverment might work, no ?

A whole new revamped religious doctrine, one that may subscribe to a Gaya consciousness of sort.

Deep

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yep, a global government would be the start however that's never going to happen with our current system. You'll never be able to convince the western world to altuistically bring the rest of the world under the same umbrella of governance that we enjoy.

The only way it's ever going to work is to let the current system continue on it's way to oblivion. It sounds terrible but only by letting the system collapse (which it will) and being prepared for the future will we have a shot at it. The old static value patterns are latched at their highest point that they can go. In order to go further we have to dissolve this complexity. Creation through destruction. It's the only way.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Creation through destruction ?

So you just want to ride out our current society untill it eventualy destroys itself, and only once this has been done can the foundation be set for a new system for control.

Wait, 2 billion must die !!!!!

You'll never be able to convince the western world to altuistically bring the rest of the world under the same umbrella of governance that we enjoy.

The rest, or just those chosen few in power ?

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Creation through destruction. Think of forest fires - until recently it was thought they had to be avoided at all cost. Now we know that fires are an intrinsic part of the lifecycle of the forest - in fact without forest fires the forests will eventually be choked with a slow rot. You can see this same process going on in our society. So am advocating burning the forest? Not necessarily. If there was a way to bring everyone together in a way that caused the least amount of death then I would be all for it. I still think that Ghandi's passive resistance is the best way to go about doing this, however it's hard to be passive when people are being mowed down with machine guns.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I still think that Ghandi's passive resistance is the best way to go about doing this, however it's hard to be passive when people are being mowed down with machine guns.

I have brought this up aswell. History dictates that passive revoltutions work and have positive outcomes for society.

But who is to say that after this revolution, corruption and ignorance wont stay?

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Also the more positive input that is brought into society affects this noorshpere. As we speak we see nothing but bloodshed, war, violence being protrayed on the telivision, this leads to a negative noorsphere?

Here in Canada, our society is much tamer, our media more focused on conveying an positive message, thus our society is more optimistic.......

Deep

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join