It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India accuses Pakistan over Kashmir exchange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

India accuses Pakistan over Kashmir exchange

edition.cnn.com

Indian officials describe the incident on Saturday as the first major violation this year of the more than five-year cease-fire along the Line of Control, the border between both countries in the disputed territory of Kashmir.

"Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked firing on our positions in the Uri sector of the Line of Control for four hours last night, causing injury to a trooper.

"They fired indiscriminately, using small and automatic weapons at our positions in the Uri sector. Our troops had to respond to the unprovoked firing from the Pakistani positions," Lt. Col. J.S. Brar, Indian defense spokesman, told CNN.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
it is really going ugly there. situation is getting more and more unstable.

we have a domestic unrest in Pakistan. we have a talibans on the boarder with Afghanistan. we had a Mumbai attacks last year. we have a US occasionally bombing the terrorist inside of Pakistan. we have a war in Afghanistan. we have Polish geologist killed as a hostage.

and the hell... we have a nukes there.

and my problem is that I see no light in the tunnel. the economic crises will only accelerate the events.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Bad news. They've done that a lot of time before that... not really new, they've already had a couple of wars. But none since both have nuclear weapons. Let's hope they never have a war or it would kill over 15 million people.

If another big terrorist attack occured in India in 2009, they could go to war.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well it's alwasy nice to see two super powers on the verge of killing eachother now isn't it?

It's a double feature this time folks, they actually have WMD's that they could use, how fun.

Well that's enough sarcasm, this is getting really annoying. I wish I could find out who is actually shaking things up in that part of the world right now. These kinds of events, this one, and the one in China/US with the recon boat, they seem a little too orchestrated for my liking.

Either way things are getting sour really quick, we have a very upset world population at the moment and leaders brimming on being labeled as crack pots, ours included.

I hope they find a way to end this diplomaticaly, however I do fear that if any blood is spilt between those two it will act as a catalyst to military mobilization.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Well that's enough sarcasm, this is getting really annoying. I wish I could find out who is actually shaking things up in that part of the world right now. These kinds of events, this one, and the one in China/US with the recon boat, they seem a little too orchestrated for my liking.

~Keeper

I think these are almast always the same players: US, China, Russia, Israel.
hope they will hold on this time...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I've always maintained that Pakistan is on the fast track to becoming another failed, Islamic state in which it will become the perfect breeding ground for radicalism to rear it's ugly head and just mushroom the Middle East's problems into the Indian subcontinent.

Pakistan's being pushed from three sides whichever way you look at it:

1. The Taliban growing ever stronger from their turf and threatening to take hold of not only the autonomous provinces but major cities now.

2. India constantly pointing the finger at Pakistan for every firecracker that goes off.

3. The US not only violating Pakistan's sovereignty by just bombing targets with their borders at will but then demanding that Pakistan "gets it's act together" and starts obeying US directives to combat the problem in Afghanistan, which of course means a huge campaign to clean up insurgency in places like Waziristan.

I've always thought Pakistan is a US Ally simply by necessity, not by way of choice or ideological affirmation.

America's presence in Afghanistan for the meantime, keeps Pakistan relatively stable and gives a much bigger target for the Taliban and radicalists to target.

Pakistan also desperately needs America's arms deals to counter India's large-scale modernisation programme with Russia.

When America leaves Afghanistan (if ever), we're going to see Pakistan slip through the cracks so fast it'll make your head spin and it'll just become another drop in the sea of ex-Allied, Islamic Fundamentalist states like Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
When America leaves Afghanistan (if ever), we're going to see Pakistan slip through the cracks so fast it'll make your head spin and it'll just become another drop in the sea of ex-Allied, Islamic Fundamentalist states like Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.

The only difference is that the country is armed with more than a 100 nuclear warheads which means US ain't gona leave pakistan alone no matter how much US tax dollars it costs to keep the puppet 'democratic' government or the millitary dictators up and running.

Otherwise if them things get into wrong hands, than we mightaswel call it a day espicially with the Asian continent.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

That's fabulous. This time when India and Pakistan go at it, it should end up nuclear. I like that.

I could use some massive nuclear death and destruction. Now why don't they just hurry up and do it??

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by merkava

The only difference is that the country is armed with more than a 100 nuclear warheads which means US ain't gona leave pakistan alone no matter how much US tax dollars it costs to keep the puppet 'democratic' government or the millitary dictators up and running.

For the sake of global stability I hope that is true.

The last thing we need is an Islamic Fundamentalist government, bordering India, in control of a substantial arsenal of Nuclear weapons.

Pakistan needs all the help it can get right now, not more baseless accusations and political 'sniping' from it's arch-rival, who is simply using Pakistan's severely weakened state to undermine them politically and to even out the scoreboard after decades of rivalry.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Pakistan and India have fought a full scale war in 1999, when both were armed with nukes.

This was just another minor incident of cross border skirmishing.

And besides, India has a no first use policy. This means India will not use its nukes unless Pakistan does, and I don't see why Pakistan would use its nukes at all, since India refuses to cross the LoC even in full scale warfare. Pakistan wouldn't sacrifice its entire existence just to gain a few square kilometres of barren rock and ice in Kashmir.

Limited border conflicts/ cross border terrorism? Yes

Full scale warfare? Perhaps

Nukes? No

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Did you just not bother to read what I said?

Radical Islamic Fundamentalists at the helm of Pakistan's government would be very willing to either use nuclear weapons or siphon them off to other Fundamentalist groups who also would like to get their hands on them.

That's the danger here.

India & Pakistan in their current wouldn't dream of this nightmare scenario, irregardless of how much they hate each other, but some of the Taliban-backed insurgents multiplying out of control in Pakistan's autonomous provinces make Bin Laden look like an altar boy.

The danger lies therein, not within the current Pakistan government, who as you quite rightly pointed out wouldn't dare risk Nuclear war over Kashmir.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
That is of course a major concern. However if such a situation were about to occur, I'm sure the US would intervene and send in special task groups to capture the nuclear arsenal.

I think at that point, even the Pakistani politicians would have to relent and reveal the location of the arsenal to the US. If they didn't then the effect would be the total annihilation of Pakistan.

However as for the official, conventional armies of India and Pakistan, commanded by civilian governments, engaging in nuclear war- that situation is totally unlikely in my book.

I think the biggest threat is a dissident General in the Pakistani armed forces "defecting" to the Taliban, or supplying them with a nuclear weapon. Such a move would be sudden, undetectable and dangerous. I doubt that an Islamist group could/would outright control Pakistan or its armed forces.

new topics

top topics

join