It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Oak Cliff High School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

South Oak Cliff High School

www.news.com.au

* Students fought in steel cage
* Principal knew it was going on - reports
* Described as "gladiator-style" fighting

A FORMER school principal is under siege after sending troubled students into a steel cage to battle it out Fight Club-style with bare fists and no head protection.

Internal records show the "cage fights" took place between 2003 and 2005 at South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas, Texas.

The reports describe sanctioned violence in which school staff and even principal Donald Moten relied on the cage to settle disputes and control wild students.

Investigators said Mr Moten "knew of the practice, allowed it to go on for a time and failed to report it", The Dallas Morning News reports.

Former school counsellor Frank Hammond said: "It was gladiator-style entertainment for the staff. They were taking these boys downstairs to fight. And it was sanctioned by the principal and security."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.dallasnews.com

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
So basically, the kids do something wrong, so the teachers take them down to a gladiator style ring and force them to fight each other???? How is no one in jail over this?

This is pretty creepy... And the fact that no criminal charges where applied? Has anyone been to this school, or know the area that it's in. This reminds me of the school in Brittan that puts the kids into solitary confinement for punishment...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

I don't condone or agree with what the school or those involved did in any way. However, in knowing what South Oak Cliff is like I can look at it from a different angle what the school staff my have been trying to do.

Let the kids beat the crap out of each other while supervised and get it over with there. Or, they both go on a shooting rampage on each other once they get out of school and getting innocent bystanders killed too.

South Oak Cliff is no joke of a neighborhood. Anybody who even lives in surrounding counties knows about the high crime gang related problems in this city. The police don't even like patrolling certain parts of South Oak Cliff.

Think of the movie Stand by Me. How the school was before Morgan Freeman took over as principal.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

Thanks for your reply, i was wondering if the neighborhood was a tough one, then i could maybe understand this a bit better..

What i don't understand is that if these kids already come from a taught neighborhood, all these teachers are TEACHING them is that violence is a just punishment. Imagine how they will treat their kids ...

Cherry

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

Ditto. The dad of my best friend is a police officer that patrols that area, he is always saying how lucky he is to come home alive every day.

I believe South Oak Cliff has had grade-changing scandals also? Or am I thinking about another school in that region?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarlaan
reply to post by CherryDuck

I don't condone or agree with what the school or those involved did in any way. However, in knowing what South Oak Cliff is like I can look at it from a different angle what the school staff my have been trying to do.

Let the kids beat the crap out of each other while supervised and get it over with there. Or, they both go on a shooting rampage on each other once they get out of school and getting innocent bystanders killed too.

South Oak Cliff is no joke of a neighborhood. Anybody who even lives in surrounding counties knows about the high crime gang related problems in this city. The police don't even like patrolling certain parts of South Oak Cliff.

Think of the movie Stand by Me. How the school was before Morgan Freeman took over as principal.

So true my friend. I am from Dallas and well, like you said, South Oakcliff is no joke.

High crime rates, and lots of violence. South Oakcliff is the epitemy of the word "ghetto". Every now and then I have to drive through that area to go visit a friend who is frequently sick and goes to a hospital in that general are (methodist).

During the day, things are not TOO bad as long as you mind your own business and keep your car doors locked. Once the sun goes down though lets just hope you arent there... I got turned around there once after dark. I went through a drive through because I was hungry and it would give me a chance to ask for directions with out getting out of my car. Well, while in line the car in front of me got car jacked....

Let me put it this way, I am 6 ft 230 pounds and even I feel uncomfortable in that area....

My Mom grew up in Oakcliff in the 50's and 60's before it got bad. I used to go visit my grandparents who lived there and I was not allowed to go outside and play because the houses on both sides were crack houses, and gang members were in and out of there all the time. Guns often were shot off and the house my mom grew up in had numerous bullet holes.

Once one of the neighbors decided to try and break in to rob the place but my grandfather was home. he saw some one starting to crawl in through the window. He grabbed his gun and said, I have a gun and I suggest you start backing out of the window and get the hell off my property if you want to live. Well the guy did leave.

Bottom line. Oakcliff is a BAD area. The school system their is just as bad and for that reason I am not at all surprised to hear that disputes between students were handled this way.

As you said, Things propably would have gotten handled with a drive-by shooting and the idiot prinicipal probably thought that making them fight in a cage was a good solution....

Ugh.

Sorry to ramble so long......

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Seeing as how it is South Oak Cliff . . . why am I not surprised?

I lived in Dallas for a few years. Once after I had just moved up there, I made a wrong turn and crossed the river . . . my sphincter was never and has never been so tight lol

Now imagine if this happened in Highland Park or Plano

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

I lived in Dallas for a few years. Once after I had just moved up there, I made a wrong turn and crossed the river . . . my sphincter was never and has never been so tight

Lmao. So this obviously well known as being a tough town lol, i'll make sure to cross it off my vacation list

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Did they give them those sparring helmets and spongy gladiator bashing sticks?

Because if they did that it would be ok.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
Did they give them those sparring helmets and spongy gladiator bashing sticks?

Because if they did that it would be ok.

but only if they played the music in the background

American Gladiators

top topics

join