It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a ski helmet have saved Richardson?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Could a ski helmet have saved Richardson?

www.msnbc.msn.com

CANBERRA, Australia - The death of British actress Natasha Richardson from a severe brain injury following a skiing accident has reignited the debate over helmets on ski slopes.

Richardson, 45, a member of Britain's Redgrave acting dynasty, fell during a private skiing lesson on a beginners' slope at Canada's Mont Tremblant resort on Monday. She died in New York on Wednesday, surrounded by her family.
Mandatory helmet use?
Between 1990 and 2008, at least 39 people died on Quebec's ski slopes, the provincial coroner's office said. A report released last year suggested that of the 26 deaths between 1990 and 2004, 14 were the result of head injuries. Helmets were worn in just two of those 14 cases.

Ski operators are among the most vocal opponents to mandated helmet use.

Alexis Boyer of the Quebec Ski Areas Association said he supports the use of helmets, but does not back a law mandating their use, saying it would put operators in the position of having to police their guests.

Valerie Powell of the Canada Safety Council said the group would like to see everybody wear helmets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I am an advocate for mandatory helmets on the slopes.
Why? you might ask?

Considering the annual death toll and this recent incedent,
That alone should be enough reason.

But let me go further,,,
Back in the day, I used to wear a cap or head sock and never thought twice about it.

I am proficirnt on skis and stay out of woods and off limit areas.

What made me change my mind was this.
One year, a skier fell just beyond a blind drop and was wearing a cap.
Another skier coming from above didn't see him and while attempting to avoid the fallen skier, as he was moving at a good pace, he inadvertantly stabbed the dudes head while planting a pole.

The fallen skier didn't make it.

The following day, I purchased a high quality helmet and I'll tell you another advantage besides the threat of other skiers.

It feels very protective, warm (-30 F) or lower, and I pulled the lining and installed headphones and carried a walkman with me. That alone was worth it.

I suggest everyone spend the extra cash and be safe.

This trajety seemed of no concern as her head evidently did not hit hard, and she felt fine for awhile, even well enough to refuse an ambulance ride. This is definitely rare iif there were no other complications, but the price of a helmet is worth a life every single time.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The answer is no...because she was not wearing one so she died, which just points out when you are meant to go, you are meant to go...it doesn't matter what precautions you take.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Maybe, maybe not.

But, maybe what could have saved her is if she went immediately to the hospital and had the injury checked out instead of going back to her room.

Head injuries are serious things, as this shows. Don't assume that just because you can walk and talk that you aren't injured. Get it checked out....it could save your life.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn
The answer is no...because she was not wearing one so she died, which just points out when you are meant to go, you are meant to go...it doesn't matter what precautions you take.

I disagree with the argument that destiny is preordained.

I will shrug off luck, miracles, lack of concern and carelessness, as some may if they have the mindset that there is no stopping mortality when the reaper comes.

I would rather assume I can live a longer fuller life by using safety first when being physical, or in water or heights.

Would you walk a 21st floor beam without a harness and lanyard?

Would you run bare headed down a freeway in rush hour with people tailgating at 75MPH and combination rigs surrounding you most of the time?
Would one persons error be worth you life?

Road rash and an exposed brain are not worth the breeze in your hair.

and freefalling to your death is not worth not using a lanyard. The guy I learned red iron from went 3 floors off a ladder into a basement hole and head first onto a pile of steel.

That was his second fall. He didn't learn the first time when his upper teeth caught a piece of steel two floors down, with another 10 below.

He's gone now.

When that happened, I sold all my tools and got out of that trade.

Another was at Microsoft last year. Very dangerous. Just like skiing and motorcycling.

I do not agree with you on this one.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

There were talking about that on the today show. Even if you feel fine, not a bad idea to have it looked at. You are not necessarily gonna slur or act strange with a head injury, because some take quite some time, even hours, to progress to fatal stages.

So sad.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
My children always wear helmets when on the slope or on their bikes. They do save lives. Most places allow adults to make that choice, but for me my children are not allowed on the slopes etc without a helmet.

My Dad in law was in a coma and died from a head injury, and so was my brother. My Dad in law was awake and talking to the drs in the ER for about an hour before he fell into a coma which he never woke from. My brother spent ten years in a coma before passing away. The drs felt it necessary to use herculean attempts to save his life after a car accident that he "died" in. He was brought back something like 10plus times, just to spend the next ten years in a coma before passing away.

Head injuries are a terrible thing.

A "closed head injury" is hard to determine within an immediate time frame without the diagnostic "tool" of the MRI, which can see brain bleeds. Even a helmet will not protect against closed head injuries. Closed head injuries are where basically the brain "bounces" around in your skull, ripping blood vessels and causing bleeding, which can take multiple hours to start causing symptoms. By the time symptoms show up, time is against you. If they can catch it quick enough, often times they can help by putting a stint in the brain to assist with drainage to keep swelling down. As often it is swelling at this point that does the most damage.

Here is some info in regards to closed head injuries.

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

It depends on the helmet. They have different ratings. Would any helmet be strong enough to handle the collisions skiers face?

There is a risk to skiing. Or it woulnd't be fun. When anyone dies, it is a travesty, but it is also a thrill.

Your flying downhill on little sticks. Your taking chances.

I think most of the deaths have to be analyzed. Are most head injuries? If they are, then a special helmet may have to be developed.

But then you run into visablility issues, and the old problem of people becoming dare devils because they think it is an all out safety net.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

I would have to disagree on that one. I had an accident out in the desert once on my dirt bike. To this day I still don't remember what happened. I hit my head pretty hard, and I had a quality helmet on. I couldn't tell you how, but I was able to ride back to the other people in my group and all ended well. My car had gotten stolen maybe a couple weeks before, and I kept asking them where my car was, forgetting it had gotten stolen, multiple times. I'm pretty certain I would not be here right now had I not been wearing a helmet.

This incident scared me a bit when I heard she had felt fine. Head injuries are weird things. I definitely didn't feel fine and never went to the doctor, it could have easily been worse. I'm quite thankful that I always wear a helmet when I go riding, and I would suggest everyone do the same with any sport where you can easily get a head injury; you never know when it might save your life.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

But then you run into visablility issues, and the old problem of people becoming dare devils because they think it is an all out safety net.

I never had an accident while mountain biking until I started wearing a helmet. It's like a set of brass balls you strap on your head.

I hate this making things mandatory crap. It's your life. Live it how you see fit.

Why do so many people beg and plead for great lord government to put shackles on them?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by amazed

Sorry to hear how close to home this subject is and for your losses.
I am however, pleased to know you are using helmets with your family.
Regards,

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'm sure that a helmet could well have saved her life. Its also entirely possible that she could've slipped in the bathtub later than night and suffered the same catastrophic injury with the same end result.

Accidents happen. You can't legislate protection from every single potentially dangerous act that a person can engage in. I guess we could all live our lives strapped to a bed in a padded room being fed by an IV tube and maybe that's safe, but its not living.

And I really, really wish people wouldn't try to play Monday morning QB when a tragedy such as this happens...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
reply to post by amazed

Sorry to hear how close to home this subject is and for your losses.
I am however, pleased to know you are using helmets with your family.
Regards,

Thank you, it has been many years and I have, over time come to terms (well mostly) with both situations.

I believe in helmets. I would imagine if she had been wearing a helmet, her brain would have been a bit more protected. But closed head injuries happen even with protection as a helmet does not stop your brain from bouncing around in your skull. Even with a helmet, a person could get a head injury.

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Could a helmet possibley have saved her life?

Sure it might have. It is very possible it could have.

Should we, as adults, be made to wear them?

Nope. If the government wants us to wear helmets then they need to have helmet companies lower the cost of their product. They are simply to expensive.

I don't ski, but I do ride a motorcycle. Right now I live in a state without a helmet law and the price of helmets are reasonable.

2 months ago I lived in GA where there is a helmet law and the prices there were outrageous. I had to buy a new helmet and after a week a searching the only one I found that fit right cost 500 dollars.

Now my 500 dollar helmet sits on the shelf wrapped in its protective bag.

Pay for your skis, pay for your clothing, pay for your helmet and then they want you to pay to be able to use all of it.

Nope, keep your helmet laws. We are grown enough to wear them it if we want.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I agree, I don't want to see a helmet law passed. However, if you don't wear one, you're not very bright. But, at least you can win a Darwin award!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yes, a helmet would have saved her. Also, I read that an ambulance and paramedics were called, but then turned away.

If she had go right to a hospital after that fall she would have been saved.

Very sad story.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Did anyone ever read what exactly killed her? I have searched many stories and haven't found anything yet.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Blunt force injury to the brain which caused brain bleeding, ending in brain death.

The medical examiner's office ruled the death was accidental, caused by "epidural hematoma due to blunt impact to the head."

Source

She hit her head, thought it was nothing, and it turned into something deadly.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I wear a helmet when I ride my bicycle. Two of my friends have crashed while biking and thank goodness they were wearing helmets.

You can't predict when you might be the next person to meet the pavement due to unforeseen circumstances. I manage to fall about once a year. The most recent incident was when another rider suddenly made a left turn into me without looking. I was just about to pass him but he didn't hear me because he had is walkman turned up.

He turned into me and bumped me pretty good and I couldn't correct and went down. No damage and I didn't hit my head but it happens so fast.

I support mandatory helmet laws for many recreational activities. I also support laws that state if you aren't wearing a helmet(or seat belt) that you can't sue for damages that you may incur through your decision to not protect yourself.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Thanks skeptic1. Great job in your debate, by the way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join