It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you cook and bake in the past week?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I half-abandoned this thread! Sorry! I rarely come on BTS.

Let's see... I made another sugar cream pie. I made fried chicken with buffalo sauce and celery. I maaaade... these delicious cookies with chocolate and cinnamon and ginger and orange and brown sugar. I made pasta fagioli. And pasta and marinara sauce, both from scratch. Good food. Gooood food.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/39dfadf6e448.jpg[/atsimg]

There are the chicken tenders. I dislike sauce on my buffalo chicken! I like to dip.

[edit on 5/13/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I made cinnamon roll cupcakes.

Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes

2 1/4 tsp. or 1 packet (1/4 oz./7 g) dry active yeast (they sell these in the store, they come in packages of 3 packets over by the um... like by the freezer section in that corner where they also have refrigerated dough and stuff in Shop Rite.)
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided (that's white sugar, and divided means have 1/4 and 1/4 of it separate)
1 cup warm milk (approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour (It has to be bread flour. They have this in the supermarket, too.)

1 cup brown sugar, packed (I used half dark brown, 1/4 light brown sugar, and 1/4 coconut palm sugar. But I'm weird and you can just use dark or light brown. It has to be the packed kind, not the brownulated kind that comes in a bag. This comes in a box)
2 1/2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened

1. Dissolve the yeast and 1/4 cup of the granulated (white) sugar in the warm milk in a large bowl and let stand for about 10 minutes until foamy. (Foamy doesn't mean it gets poofy or anything. It just gets light and the yeast covers the top layer of the liquid. It won't totally dissolve, so don't worry)

2. Mix in the eggs, melted butter, salt, and other 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Add flour gradually and mix until well blended and the dough forms a ball. (I would use a Kitchenaid or equivalent stand mixer. If you use a hand mixer it might break. Use a dough hook when it starts to get thick).

2.5. Put in a bowl, cover (I cover with clingwrap/plastic wrap) and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about one hour). (You'll know when it's done if you press two fingertips a half inch into the dough and the indentation remains.)

3. After the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover again and let rest for 10 minutes.

3.5. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon (use a fork). Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners (I like to double them up because these cinnamon rolls are so moist), and lightly spray over the top of them with cooking spray.

4. Roll dough into a 12x22 inch rectangle. (I used a ruler to measure. Try to get it as rectangular as you can, so you don't need to cut it. Cutting dough is always kind of a bad idea, so just stretch it and roll into corners to shape. Go for longer and skinnier, rather than shorter because the rolls will be too big.)

Spread dough with 1/3 cup of the softened butter, using a spatula, and sprinkle -evenly- with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough so that the cinnamon and sugar is inside, and you end up with a looooong roll, and cut into 24 rolls. (I cut it with a sharp serrated knife. The lady who provided this recipe online used floss, but my dough was too elastic for that to work. So I cut it and it worked fine.)

5. Place each roll in a cupcake liner. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

6. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes, on middle rach. Let rolls cool completely before frosting (or else the frosting will melt and slide off).

Now I used Betty Crocker Vanilla frosting to ice mine, rather than the Cream Cheese Frosting that was suggested in the link. You could do whichever. I just dislike cream cheese based frostings.

www.lafujimama.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34a4de86ebf8.jpg[/atsimg]

Tomorrow I'm making rice pudding.... Mmmmmmm..

[edit on 5/16/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Aha! Rice pudding.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a752cfa47054.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks nasty. But it's REALLY good!!!

www.elise.com...

Rice Pudding Recipe
INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups (600 ml) of whole milk
1/3 cup (66 grams) of uncooked long or short grain white rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup (50 grams) dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/3 cup (40 grams) raisins
METHOD
1 In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, combine milk, rice and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
2 In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and brown sugar until well mixed. Add a half cup of the rice mixture - a tablespoon at a time - beating to incorporate.
3 Add egg mixture back into the saucepan of rice and milk and stir, on low heat, for 10 minutes or so, until thickened. Be careful not to have the mixture come to a boil at this point. Stir in the vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in the raisins and cinnamon.
Serve warm or cold.
Serves 2-3.

I added nutmeg at the end, too. And I used dark brown packed sugar and long-grain rice.
Yummmmmmmm. Oh, dark raisins, too. Not golden. And only 1/4 a cup, not 1/3.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
cheesecake is my new mistress

mmmmmmmmmmm

baked cheesecake is all i have tried so far. going to attempt a chilled one.
melt 70% dark chocolate add a generous amount of sugar and then mix that into one half of your cheesecake mix so you have a bowl of plain and a bowl of chocolate cheesecake mixture. add them alternately on to the base and create a nice 'swirl' or marble affect.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have experimented on my first stir fry attempt this week. I only just got a package that is veggies that are typically in a stir fry. I cut up a boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked it until nearly done. Then I cooked the veggies then added the chicken. After a few minutes I then added a stir fry mix with some soy sauce. I made it for me and my girlfriend and it actually turned out pretty good, especially since it was my first attempt. I know i got some work to do to improve it, but I'm glad I finally got around to experimenting with this, I had been wanting to for a while.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
We've made some birthday cakes... I'll have to post some once I get them organized...

We did a bubble gum cake, a terminator cake, and a littlest pet shop cake....

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I love easy food... Just had 2 poached eggs on toast with 2 well cooked bacon and (tinned
) mackerel.

Actually tinned mackerel is great, small single serving tins you could have 4 or 5 in the cupboard for a very long time (actually I should check how long) it's like 35p per tin Would be really good in a camping pack... Oh sorry this is (B)ATS survival kit

edit:
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Raisins in rice pudding!

I'm a purist... If you ever invite me round, leave the dried grapes out if you don't mind

[edit on 29/5/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That sounds awesome. I love cake making!!!

I'm working on a king cake right now.

Oh, I have a blog...
hitmewithaspatula.blogspot.com...

Right. Not much on it yet.

@nt- my mom dislikes raisins in hers, too. No worries!!

[edit on 6/1/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I made conecup cupcakes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e1cb65483b32.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

I LOVE THOSE!!!
Send me one? Please?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I made those on Friday, they didn't last through the weekend, so sorry

btw they were super easy to make and decorate, I was always intimidated for some reason and never tried it until now though I've seen pictures and the recipe for years.

Do you bake bread btw? I need a super easy, no mixer or breadmaker recipe that makes a good tasting bread.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

Kikkoman's makes a great Stir Fry Sauce. I typically add a little bit of their Terriyaki Garlic marinade too...

The Stir Fry Sauce also works good if you get the asian noodles (use the sauce to brown them), and use the noodles as a base for your stir-fried veggies and meat...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Tacos/fajitas. I also made a jar of my own taco seasoning for future meals.

Steamed chicken with a bruschetta vinegrette and asparagus.

Afghan Beef Ravoil (posted in this forum)

My personal lasagna. I made the noodles, sauces and mixture all from scratch. It takes two days to make my lasagna and I also made a basil pesto Italian bread. I haven't decided if I want to share this recipe. I share all my recipes and have a link to my cooking blog in my signature. All recipes can be found on here as well. I am just debating whether or not I want to share my "baby."

Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, rosemary dill bread, banana muffins.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

I made those on Friday, they didn't last through the weekend, so sorry

btw they were super easy to make and decorate, I was always intimidated for some reason and never tried it until now though I've seen pictures and the recipe for years.

Do you bake bread btw? I need a super easy, no mixer or breadmaker recipe that makes a good tasting bread.

I have a recipe for a no knead bread ( i nicked off internet) google "doris grant loaf" it is a delicious and easy recipe!!!!! Namasté

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Baking a cooking pear pie. Basically, you address it like you would an apple pie, but will come out tasting closer to fresh apples (I hope, since Snapple's Apple drink that tastes like fresh apples is made from pear juice).

What's in it:

5 cooking pears, thinly sliced.
1/2 cup of sugar.
1-2 tablespoons bacon grease
generous sqirt lime jucie
1 shot amaretto
2 teaspoons apple pie seasoning

And it's in a cheap grahm cracker crust, since I am so not making 1.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I am not going to state my menu choices for the entire past week....I will share one though. A recipe for split pea vegan soup.......I hope some of you try and enjoy this recipe.

2 cups of dried split peas
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion chopped
1 bay leaf
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup barley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
7 1/2 cups water
3 chopped carrots
3 chopped stalks of celery
3 diced potatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Use a large pot and saute in the oil the bay leaf, onion and garlic for around 5 minutes. Then add the peas, salt, water and barley. Bring it to boil and reduce the heat to low, cooking for 2 hours and stirring every now and then.

Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about another hour.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

This sounds good and I have everything but barley
I can go get that in the morning.

Its funny I dont like peas but for some reason split peas dont bother me

I will probably add chicken since i have to have meat in my soups

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join