It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some say want ad screams racism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Some say want ad screams racism

www.kob.com

The ad was for an auto shop that is seeking a mechanic. But among the qualifications listed, the ad says "no chile peelers."

The local director for the League of United Latin American Citizens says it reminds him of when racism was common.

"Many employers used to advertise for help wanted jobs here in New Mexico, and they used to say 'Help wanted, Mexicans and dogs need not apply,'" said LULAC District Director Ralph Arellanes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I did a quick search for the ad but it must have already been pulled...

Now here, where I live the phrase "chile peeler" has a different meaning to it... It means a person who strokes off. or in other words does not do the job he's supposed to do. As in you go out to a job site and find the painter hasn't even opened a can yet so you'd say, "Hey what have you been doing all day? Peeling Your Chile"? I think you get my point...

However, now all the Latin American groups are screaming foul and there is talk of some kind of civil action....

So what do you all think? is this a clear cut case of racism or just a small group being overly sensitive?

www.kob.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Seems like political correctness going even more mad!

I wish we could stick up for ourselves in a patriotic sense more.

Instead, we are forced to accept that these people coming from other countries can push their beliefs onto us but we can't fly a flag. At least that's what it's like in the U.K.

Chile Peeler....Nice

I certainly wouldn't have thought that it was a racist term!

[edit to add S+F]

[edit on 18-3-2009 by TheOmen]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think they need to see what color the skin is of the person who placed the ad, by todays standards that alone will tell you if it was a racist remark

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I think that people are just being retarded. If he would have said "chile pickers" he would be in trouble. I would bet 100$ that the guy posting the ad was hispanic.

I'm down in Las Cruces, and I have heard the term "peeling your chile" it is the same as "wanking" or "wacking".

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'd post a second ad that basically repeated, unapologetically, that if you peel chiles, then don't bother. Darkie.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It would seem that once again the PC brigade is striking. For goodness sake lighten up. If I put an advert up saying "Honkies not wanted" then I would get away with it. But if I put up an advert saying "Niggers need not apply" I get taken to court, get a criminal record, get a huge fine and probably some jail time. It is just ridiculous that they get so worked up over the small things when we live in a country where violent crime is on the rise and they bother about things like someone making a joke that could be interpreted as racial hatred if you really wanted to.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

So what do you all think? is this a clear cut case of racism or just a small group being overly sensitive?

I vote for the overly sensitive. Much like the cartoon that suggested a crazed chimp authored the stimulus package.

The funny thing is, the people who leap to these racist conclusions are by definition the ones who are having racist thoughts. Living in New Mexico where a huge percentage of the population peels green chile during the season for their own personal frozen stash, it would not have occurred to me that was intended for one ethnic group. Even without the "slacking off" connotation.

I think those who seeing racism everywhere they look need to take off the VictimVision (tm) goggles. The world might look a little better if they did.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You did hit on a very good point...
Here in New Mexico we do have a good deal of racism between the old Spanish families and Mexicans... Oh to be sure there is a difference and these two groups hate each other, sometimes viciously...

Even I was once fired from a job because the boos found out my mom is from Spain

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

You wouldn't get away with an ad that said "Honkies not wanted"... That's incredibly offensive...

The fact that "chile peeler" has a negative connotation should be examined in this case.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by themystic123

Don't be ridiculous, there was no racism here.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
No chile peelers = no slackers. There is nothing racist about it. Geez we have become a nation of cry babies and complainers.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I can still recall the day when I was corrected for using the term "blackboard" - "we call them chalkboards now" said the highly offended minority member.

As a bonus question, would anyone care to explain why the term "nitty gritty" as in "we need to get down to the nitty gritty" is officially a prohibited racial phrase in that bastion of insanity otherwise known as the United Kingdom?

Anyone?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It sounds to me like a dumb misunderstanding.

I've never heard the phrase before, but if it's a local term meaning a "goof-off" as DaddyBare points out and not an ethnic term (here in the Southwest it's not just hispanics who eat lots of chile
) then it sounds like people are getting bent about nothing.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think it's racist to have to denote what race I am when filling out any job application.

Especially when I always check "White" and have had a hell of a time finding employment here in NYC. You should see the looks I get from employees of a store that employs few or no white people when I hand in that application.

I also feel it's rather racist to list the racial options as "White, African American, Hispanic American, Asian American, Native American etc etc" Honestly, PC stuff drives me nuts but if we're trying to be fair it should say "Caucasian American" not that all of us "Whites" actually trace our origins to the Caucus region.

People need to find something better to do in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by themystic123
reply to post by Cauch1

You wouldn't get away with an ad that said "Honkies not wanted"... That's incredibly offensive...

I beg to disagree.

I'm white, and I think that would be fricken' hilarious!

Does that mean that whites are "thicker skinned"?

God. There are so many wonderfully funny racial slurs and stereotypes. There really is something for everyone.

What a waste.

On the day that humanity finally moves beyond the need to have perfect thoughts and manners, I will be the first to create the "Funniest Racial Insults" thread.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
how is chili peelers even remotely racist? Do hispanics actually peel chilis? I mean, it doesn't even make sense that this is considered to be racist.

Now if he said something like no pepper hogs wanted, then yea I see how that would be offensive.

This guy is a blue collar worker who used blue collar language. A suit will never understand that. The people who filed the civil suit just want a hand out.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I don't see how that term could be considered a racist term. I think it's just a case of somebody being to sensitive.

It seems like everything that people say in this country lately is offensive to somebody. It also seems like there are those that just purposely look for something that they can say is offensive to them so they can start a lawsuit.

They have gone way overboard with this "political correctness" nonsense.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
We get ads here in Calif that say "must speak fluent Spanish" but nothing about speaking English.

We also see ads in "Spanish" looking for construction works without any corresponding ad in English. Are they just looking for illegals.

Is that reverse racism.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What if the ad said...

"We only hire Honkies"?

How would you classify that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join