It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some say want ad screams racism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

I would classify that as funny as hell.

So would everyone else, there isn't such a thing as white racist names. Just funny names.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
What I want to know is , Do latins really consider themselves chilli peelers?
Do people often refer to latins as Chilli Peelers? I never heard it said as such.
Thing is...They must consider themselves or look at themselves that way in the first place in order to get offended.
If someone called me a cornbeef preparer(I hate corned beef)...I wouldnt raise the race flag eventhough Im part Irish.
I think they are looking wayyyyy too deep into this to get some PR.
Sorry, not buying the whole race issue here.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I want to know if people actually peel chilis?

I never seen it done and I love the food network. If people don't do it then how can it be considered racist?

In Africa some throw spears, so we get the term...........well you know. That I see as racist when referring to Blacks.

But chili peelers? It doesn't make sense.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

It would seem that I am not allowed to say Ni***r here so I apologise for my previous post.
Pah and I thought it was open discussion here.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

So what do you all think? is this a clear cut case of racism or just a small group being overly sensitive?

Even though I've only ever considered peeling a chile one time - I feel obligated to take offense of behalf of those who would otherwise not....

If it wasn't for political correctness, this country would have went down the tubes long ago ;-P

(I joke)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
It would seem that I am not allowed to say Ni***r here so I apologise for my previous post.
Pah and I thought it was open discussion here.

There is no open discussion anywhere.

That's the problem.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

There is no open discussion anywhere.

That's the problem.

Unless a post attacks the U.S. or Caucasians or Christianity, ATS considers it strictly verboten!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

At first glance, I thought this was an obvious racial reference and was wondering what on earth this man was thinking and how the paper allowed it to even be published but it looks like it's slang for a slack-off employee.

Chile Peelers.

Then from the article:

But the owner of the auto shop says there's nothing racist about the phrase "chile peelers."

"Being a native New Mexican and growing up in this area, I've known that as being lazy," said James Sanistevan.

Sanistevan says in his fast-moving business, there's no room for lazy workers, and that's what he was trying to get across in the ad.

"I apologize if they took it out of context, but there was no harm intended and as you can clearly see, it meant to slack off," Sanistevan said.

Meh. He could have gone with more professional wording like 'Hard workers only' but this is being overblown, IMO.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

So true. That is the case online and in the real world now. Shame. What is the world coming to.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

"Now here, where I live the phrase "chile peeler" has a different meaning to it... It means a person who strokes off. or in other words does not do the job he's supposed to do. As in you go out to a job site and find the painter hasn't even opened a can yet so you'd say, "Hey what have you been doing all day? Peeling Your Chile"? I think you get my point."

Thanks for the clarification.

"So what do you all think?"

After reading that, Just a small group being overly sensitive, no doubt.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

That is racist in the UK? I don't thinks its racist in the US.
And I tend to agree with a fellow poster above, this country has become a country of what I like to call " High Maintnace Bitches". Get over yourselves. No one is better than the other. We all have lienage that somewhere down the line was oppressed by another.
Its only bad if you make it bad!!! Lighten up Frances!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
I can still recall the day when I was corrected for using the term "blackboard" - "we call them chalkboards now" said the highly offended minority member.

Yeh I know how you feel. Do you remember when there was that girl from Liverpool I think it was saying that the rhyme "Baa Baa Black Sheep" was racist and that it should be changed to "Rainbow Sheep". The ignorant woman thought the poem was to do with black slavery. It just goes to show that the people who make all this fuss about racism don't really know what they are talking about.

Oh yeh I almost forgot. Although it is racist to use the word "blackboard" we are still meant to use the word "whiteboard", someone please tell me where is the sense in that.

-Cauch1

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I can appreciate the law and believe it is a good thing.
However, I must admit that I am guilty of overt discrimination anytime I place an ad for a new employee.

In my business, a thick accent is not good and not welcome. I advertise that I do not want certain accents. I advertise that I only want people who speak clearly and do not use slang. A few times I have even said no Ebonics. Not because I am trying to weed out a certain race, but because I need people who speak properly and clearly.

I do not need to worry about the discrimination police. My business is not in the U.S. I have seen ads for employment that say no gaijin, no whites, no blacks, no males, no females, no gays, etc... I wonder how things would be in the U.S. for me.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
heh . . . no chile peelers . . . I do that on a daily basis

As soon as I read it, I busted out laughing.

If he would have put "if you like to sit around with your thumb up your ass, do not apply," the gays would have cried out.

I hope the PC people will get off his nuts . . . no gayness intended there either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join