It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox To Remove Special Features From Rental DVDs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Fox To Remove Special Features From Rental DVDs

www.slashfilm.com

"File this in your the “Yet another way Fox has found to inspire geek hate” folder: According to a report by VideoBusiness (Via CNet), 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is going to start stripping rental DVDs SKUs of special features like commentaries and featurettes, in a horrendously misguided attempt to spur retail DVD sales."

The rental business is going downhill fast. Is this gonna do anything other than annoy customers?
(visit the link for the full news article)

Admin Edit: edited title to remove erroneous word placement.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by xbranscombex]

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Crakeur]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is not surprising....
You want the extras, you pay extra.

If I rent the movie, that's what I want to watch..
The movie. I don't have enough time within the 2 days to watch all the special features, if I enjoy the rental. I'll purchase the movie..

Yet I see why some people may be upset though...
Especially downloaderz.

www.slashfilm.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Crakeur]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Let em strip it, the extra features usually suck anyway. When you see how they make the movie for me it takes away the magic of the movie anyway. As far as people that copy the DVD's I am sure they only want the movie anyway. I can't recall anyone saying "hey I am going to rent X to see the special features"

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It doesn't bother me at all that they are doing this. Like someone said above me - I rent the movie to watch the movie. I can't even remember the last time I looked at any of the other suff on the dvd.

I can't see this having any effect on my decision to rent or not to rent a movie.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Works for me. I can't remember the last time I looked at my wife and said "hey honey, let's go rent us some special features".

Besides, If I want to burn a copy, DVD Decrypter and 1 Click DVD Copy Pro "strips" the special features off anyway; unless you are burning it onto dual layer discs.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The extra features are freaking pointless anyway, and if you want to see them, I'm sure a generous Blackbeard will buy one and give you a seed.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind the change if I wasn't certain that there will be 40 minutes of additional commercials with forced looping that makes it impossible to just choose to watch the damn movie!

This will save them money in production costs. Plus free up space for wonderful things like rootkits and marketing gimmicks.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I could'nt care less. I can't remember the last time I watched the Specials features. They should remove them altogether and lower the price of DVD's.
They should also remove the annoying FBI/INTERPOL warning as well. I mean, if I am to pirate a DVD, a warning won't stop me.
And while were at it, they should remove the stupid ads before the menu.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i cant remember the last time i rented a movie..lol..
i think it was terminator 2 and on vhs...

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I do like the deleted scenes, interviews,and some other bits.

But I get netflix and often and they don't include the bonus dvd. Of course your paying a lot less too.

Depends on how much Fox rental is. If it is like blockbuster and it is 4$. then I would be a little miffed.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A. I have enough Fox dvds to say something about this.

B. I never watched any of the X-Files extras.

C. I don't rent dvds anymore, I have enough to watch.

D. The one who thinks they will sell more retail because of that should be fired, they will sell less retail because of this and create more downloaders.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
If I interested enough to watch a movie, I wait until it shows up in the bargain bin at Walmart. Even then it might be a year until I get around to watching it.

I can't get too excited about this development.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
All I have to say is that I better get a discount then if I get a Fox movie from Blockbuster or Netflix. Though I do agree I usually don't watch the Special features.

top topics

join