It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are banks asking for more information than normal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Is this happening in your area?

Several weeks ago I took a large (for me anyway - just over $1000) check to our bank (credit union) to deposit - it was payment for a vehicle I had sold.

The teller asked me what it was from, which I thought was a little strange as I'd never been asked that before, and I've sold a few other things that have been in that neighborhood (old boat, etc) over the years.

I didn't think much more about it until yesterday when I was in line behind someone at the ATM, and heard a teller ask another customer the same thing.

I wish I had another big check to deposit, I'd love to reply "It's money I made from robbing old people" and see what happens

Is this a rising trend or just our credit union being nosy???

[edit on 15-3-2009 by ChrisR]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisR

I would ask them if this is a new policy to be nosey about how a check was aquired! I mean what the heck, banks don't want money deposited anymore?

Seriously, I would ask them the above question, and if they answered yes, I would yank my funds out of there on the spot!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Nah, nothing to worry about. The teller was just being nosy. I've worked for two Financial Institutions now and the tellers are supposed to ask questions and file a report if you bring in a large cash deposit. Has to do with anti-money laundering and terrorist financing laws.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Whatever man, this is total BS. They are more untrusting of a citizen with money than a global financial institution that has corrupted the system. We are being shafted by these people, and for them to question US, the american taxpayers, is just plain disgusting. We are funding these morons at the moment, we keep them afloat, and without us and other taxpaying nations they would not exist. Anybody who tells you differently is a part of the problem, I.E. the joker. Whatever your name is, grow some balls and fight against these corrupt people that you are currently defending. Let's get real here, we are being raped;

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I sense a lot of anger coming from your post. Anger that is justified but misdirected. I was simply stating that in this particular case that the OP was inquiring, he has nothing to worry about. There is no conspiracy about the teller asking the OP about where he obtained the funds for the check. He/she was just being nosy, or maybe just trying to strike up a conversation.
Banks are supposed to make a report to the government if an extremely large cash deposit is made. Thats's their job. Why? Think about it, who usually deals in large quantities of cash? Criminals (other than wallstreet), money launderers and drug dealers.
Do not take your anger out on the teller who is working at your local bank or credit union. They have absolutley nothing to do with the what's going on on wallstreet and the financial crisis. Like I said, your anger is misdirected. Do not focus on the people at the bottom, they're just trying to make an honest living just like everyone else. Instead, focus your anger where it belongs, at the the corrupt individuals at the top of the banking institutions and government whom are actually responsible for the crisis.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by kommunist]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist
Why? Think about it, who usually deals in large quantities of cash? Criminals (other than wallstreet), money launderers and drug dealers.

Anyone ever been caught with this technique?

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the criminal making the deposit would slip up simply because the teller asked where the money was from.
Customer: Hello I'd like to deposit $1000 today.
Teller(friendly midwestern accent): Oh my, that's a lot. Where'd you get it.
Customer: Oh just selling drugs- S*! I mean puppies! Puppies! S*!

Really? Has that ever really worked? While you are right, I doubt it's any thing more than a simple policy, I'm inclined to agree with OP. It's none of their damn business.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Why? Think about it, who usually deals in large quantities of cash? Criminals (other than wallstreet), money launderers and drug dealers.

No,
not that I'm aware of. And you're right, it is just a policy that the bank teller has to follow.
The teller is supposed to file a report after the depositor has left the branch if the deposit is over a certain amount ( a lot more than $1000). They are only supposed to do this if it is a cash deposit.
Yes you are right, it is none of their business if I just want to deposit a check to my account. The teller could have approached the situation with a little more tact.
The point I was trying to make is that in this particular situation, there is no conspiracy, no need for concern on the OP's part.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by kommunist]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the criminal making the deposit would slip up simply because the teller asked where the money was from.
Customer: Hello I'd like to deposit $1000 today.
Teller(friendly midwestern accent): Oh my, that's a lot. Where'd you get it.
Customer: Oh just selling drugs- S*! I mean puppies! Puppies! S*!

Really? Has that ever really worked? While you are right, I doubt it's any thing more than a simple policy, I'm inclined to agree with OP. It's none of their damn business.

You may or may not know this but one of the largest cases of money laundering that HBOS had problems a few years ago went by the name of......wait for it..............drumroll please.........Chris Tarrant.

How on earth would that not be spotted when millions is being deposited and withdrawn.

"Im just depositing this cash from the sale of my steamboat"

"I am just lifting this cash to pay my mortgage off"

"I am buying a car"

"I just won the lottery...again"

There is a reason they want people clean as a whistle working in banks, it is because they do not have a clue about crime as they are good law abiding citizens who want to pay their bills and shut up.

I have worked for 3 banks in my time and honestly the practices are a shambolic within branches and offices. Kinda evident right now is it not.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

I still think it was a bit odd, it was not an attempt to strike up conversation as she didn't follow up on my reply of "I just sold a car". If she wanted to gab, she would have asked what type of car, etc. She was quiet until she handed me the deposit slip and said thanks. Her tone and manner was not conversational, and she had the same tone with the other person I overheard.

I guess it's probably nothing more than the local credit union trying to flag criminal activity or something...but next time I'm going to say "excuse me, why's that relevant?" and see what happens.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by ChrisR]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I recently looked at my account and saw that the rent check i wrote had cleared-then been recredited-then cleared again. I found it to be very odd.

new topics

top topics

join