It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favourite pice of kit ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Whats your favourite bit of survival kit?, Your Pocket Knife, Multi tool, Flash light, Item of Clothing, Bag, Pistol, What do you like and why did you buy it ?

What drove you to select your EDC Knife, Your EDC Flashlight, Your EDC multi tool etc. Wotcha buyit fer and izzit any good ?

NR

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d761a673a22.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
My Ka-bar. My dad taught me a long time ago how to survive with just a knife. Building shelter is easy, making rope from trees is easy, and of course the fire starting method using friction or in the winter time using ice all no problem. But doing it without a knife is a little more difficult. I like the Ka-bar because of blade size and weight. It can be used for more delicate cutting, yet has the weight to be used in place of an axe in an emergency.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
My Eastwing campers ax. Short and light so can be handy, large enough to fell smallish trees, I keep the blade sharp so in a pinch I could butcher with it. With the all steel construction no worries about breaking a handle.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Along with my pocketknife my multi tool and feeler gauges which I carry with me daily..I also carry a lockpick set. Taught myself how to make them as well. What works best for me in making them is something hard.like the needles for a welding/scaler needle gun. I can get plenty of them and carefully work them to the proportions needed in a pick.

Also I have included in my lock pick set a set of hand made shims of .005 thickness and made from what is called shim stock of the mentioned thickness.

I am often tasked at work with opening certain boxes containing specialty tools ..chainfalls, rigging penents, wire rope etc etc and for which the preceeding shift often does not leave us the keys or combinations.
This would be handy in certain situations where one does not want to leave the tracks of forced entry or passage to other passersby.
Just another option and skill.

Lots of sites sell them now days and I was also surprised to find that they are now sold at places like Northern Tool company.

Keep a K bar in a box in my truck which also has my amateur radio set up..along with a folding shovel. K-bar is a good knife for the moneys..good steel in it.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'll be the first, generic "gun nut" to post.

I don't have a tremendously huge arsenal, but I have what I need.
Nor do I feel that my sidearm is the end all, be all to my survival.

I have, however, had my Glock 17 for over 15 years now. I traded my Sig for it. I have carried it for as long as I can remember, and I know every curve.

Like I say. there may be more important items regarding my survival, but you asked about my favorite.

I can sum it up like this: When I am spending the weekend, or longer, in the the woods of Northern Wisconsin, all by myself, in the cold, I better have my fire going, I hope my belly isn't empty and my wool socks have remained dry.

However, as I lay under my shelter, winds a'howlin, my hand isn't wrapped around my flint, multitool, or water filter.

My hand caresses my Glock, my sweet, sweet, Glock.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

However, as I lay under my shelter, winds a'howlin, my hand isn't wrapped around my flint, multitool, or water filter. My hand caresses my Glock, my sweet, sweet, Glock.

Thats how accidents happen buddy.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
As much as I feel my knife is the most important hardware in my BOB.

... I've got a thing for my Sweedish Firesteel. Not because I am a pyro, but because if I would have had this one tiny item, my life as a boyscout would have been sooo much easier.

Happy sparking!

Tim

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Okay, I will take the esoteric route and say my mind. As everything is worthless without it and it can (hopefully) figure out am efficient way to fashion, find an alternative or actually come up with anything needed.

But to select just a single item it would have to go to the old Craftsman multi-tool. Not as efficient as having a specific tool that it covers (like all multi-tools) but I can make out very well with what it does cover.

But if I had nothing at all. My first target of opportunity would be an abandoned car provided I can rummage through it safely. With the primary target being the tire iron and hope for other handy items like a small toolbox or any sort of knife to make do until something better comes along.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Okay, I will take the esoteric route and say my mind. As everything is worthless without it and it can (hopefully) figure out am efficient way to fashion, find an alternative or actually come up with anything needed.

But to select just a single item it would have to go to the old Craftsman multi-tool. Not as efficient as having a specific tool that it covers (like all multi-tools) but I can make out very well with what it does cover.

But if I had nothing at all. My first target of opportunity would be an abandoned car provided I can rummage through it safely. With the primary target being the tire iron and hope for other handy items like a small toolbox or any sort of knife to make do until something better comes along.

You dont have to select only one piece of kit, its a thread about your favourites, be it one item or ten that you find invaluable.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Is this about your favourite piece(s) of equipment you have or what would be your favourite if you had it?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Actually I just inherited a load of mostly old tools, there were a couple of small hand axes - I took the smaller of the 2, took it to a bench grinder - gave it a new edge again and put it in my fledgling BOB, it's got a hammer incorporated into the head... I'm planning to drill a hole for a wrist strap.

I want to see someone try to steal my sausages now! - (unless that gun nutta shows up caressing his Glock.. He can have a sausage)

[edit on 15/3/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

My favorite piece for survival is not located in any kit.

Its located in my head...knowledge.

More valuable than any fancy gizmo or hords of ammo and guns or fancy SUV or other nonsense.

And knowledge can be a valuable commodity, handed down, lasts far longer than any material item, and can be expanded and adaptable to the given situation.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Probably my favorite little item is my RAT Cutlery RC-4. It is not part of my EDC but it certainly takes first place in my ditch kit or when I go out into the woods.

All RAT knives are outstanding and built for a purpose. Not to mention, their website is full of great info. complete with links to survival manual PDF's etc.

ratcutlery.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
reply to post by Oaktree

However, as I lay under my shelter, winds a'howlin, my hand isn't wrapped around my flint, multitool, or water filter. My hand caresses my Glock, my sweet, sweet, Glock.

Thats how accidents happen buddy.

Not if it's got a grip safety mate

Mine is the trusty BOB with X bow strapped to it

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My favorite piece of kit would be one of my knives. I have a hard time picking a favorite, (I have a LOT) but my Busse Fusion Battle Mistress LE, my Bark River Bravo 1 and my Chris Reeve Sebenza are pretty high in the rankings. I never go anywhere without a Sebenza. As long as I have a good knife or two around, I feel like I'll be okay, no matter what happens.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
Is this about your favourite piece(s) of equipment you have or what would be your favourite if you had it?

Either?, I dnt care, if you have some single or multiple fav pieces of kit, or if there is some item you lust after , just tell us why you want want.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
Wotcha buyit fer and izzit any good ?

I will translate this for those who require English:

"What did you buy it for, and is it any good?"

Seriously, I don't mind typos or the occasional abbreviation, but this butchering of the English language is pathetic. And what was that in your title, "pice of kit"? Are you that lazy you can't correct your typos or do you purposefully intend on lowering the bar?

On that note, my favorite tool is clear communications through proper use of standard language (I prefer English).

Bcuz idont wnat me msgs 2 b defiklt 2 reep wen pplz lyvz dpndz un da enformashun.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
mine is the british army entrencing shoval. small light all steel construcion
fold away handle, its serated edge is usful for chopping and the shoval can be used for prying open padlocks, door locks . and its usful for digging too.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Originally posted by Northern Raider
Wotcha buyit fer and izzit any good ?

I will translate this for those who require English:

"What did you buy it for, and is it any good?"

Seriously, I don't mind typos or the occasional abbreviation, but this butchering of the English language is pathetic. And what was that in your title, "pice of kit"? Are you that lazy you can't correct your typos or do you purposefully intend on lowering the bar?

On that note, my favorite tool is clear communications through proper use of standard language (I prefer English).

Bcuz idont wnat me msgs 2 b defiklt 2 reep wen pplz lyvz dpndz un da enformashun.

BTW Its Favourite if you are trying to write in British English.

Oh Dear me a humourless misery befalls us, I think you would not want to survive any given disaster if your beloved spull chucker was no longer working. I believe you are intoxicated by the exuberance of your own verbosity. You clearly have nothing of value to contribute to this debate so why are you here except solely to lower the bar?
Still I am sure in your perfect world you have never made a typographical error of any sort. I offer you a piece of advice on sexual intercourse and intercontentinental travel accept it in the manner it is offered.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join