It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparent metals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Is there such a thing as transparent metal?

Well it seems that some researchers have come up with Aluminium Oxynitride, wchich is a crystal clear Aluminium compound.

So if this is public whats hiden behind the scenes?

Do you know of any other transparent metals?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I can't see why there couldn't be.

It's difficult to do, but certainly not impossible.

Reminds me of that star trek movie, where scotty gives them the formula for transparent aluminum.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Sapphire (corundum) is a form of Aluminium Oxide. Also gold can be bashed so thin it becomes transparent. Astronauts visors have a thin film of gold to reflect radiation but let visible light through (I believe).

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
Sapphire (corundum) is a form of Aluminium Oxide. Also gold can be bashed so thin it becomes transparent. Astronauts visors have a thin film of gold to reflect radiation but let visible light through (I believe).

It's a thin film of gold on a glass visor. So it's exactly what a half-silvered mirror is. It's made to block out most visible light and UV, but still be transparent enough to see what needs to be seen. It does pretty much what a pair of good sunglasses does, only presumably better.

Aluminum oxide/corundum doesn't really count as a transparent metal, because it isn't a metal, it's an oxide. It's more of a ceramic. like you said, it's sapphire. It's hard and strong, but it's not ductile or malleable or conductive.

I'm fairly sure there aren't any true transparent metals.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I have to admit that its not really metal but rather ceramic....
however i wonder if there are any advancements that i or we are missing.
i am quite sure there is an ongoing research on the matter.
on the other hand commenting on the thin layer of anything....
anything will mostly become transparent if thin enough.
I mean transparency on solid metal. Or at least a material that does not brake but has some elastic properties like metal's

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I seem to recall reading an article in a science journal some time back about it being possible for hydrogen to behave as a metal under certain conditions. The report stated the metallic hydrogen was transparent. Look at the Periodic Table, and you'll see that hydrogen can be classified as either a metal or a nonmetal based on it's position in the table.

I'm trying to remember exactly where I read this. If I do, I'll post the information.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

That would be Star Trek IV.

To the OP, I'd say never rule something like that out.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Trust me i won't and i did not!

However hydrogen?
Are there any real life conditios it will behave like metal at all?
ohh let alone be transparent at that?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I assume you ask in regards to military aircraft and other secret applications.

If that is the case then why make something transparent when cloaking and invisibility technologies are already here.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Correct me if I am wrong and this is not why you ask, if so then what applications or end game are you trying to figure out?

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I also remember reading about transparent metals from New Scientist some time back. I wonder how their research is going today.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
To be honest i would really prefer my cars windscreen to be part of its structure rather than a sheltering piece of glass....
This is the kind of applications i hope for and then the millitary can around creating invisibility for the rest of the parts...

Thanks for the question though! Helps in defining the thread.

reply to post by Desolate Cancer

new topics

top topics

join