It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The DOW drops! Are you happy now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
How many people here find that drops in the DOW and other world indices bring about a feeling of happiness and elation? Alternatively when the DOW and other indices gain does it give you a pessimistic outlook for the day?

Please be honest and explain why you feel this way?

Just trying to understand.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Not until it is zero, will many of us be happy, lol.

We can all live in hope.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
We are just sick of the game. The false pumping up of imaginary funds into a dead system. The game must end at some point so that the true up swing can begin.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
We realize that there must be more bloodletting before things will turnaround. Am I happy the Dow is on a downturn, not really. It just is something that needs to be done, any minor BULL in this BEAR market will be used for people to recoop some loses .

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I feel like it is eventually going to just crumble so I would rather it just hurry up and crash then to have this slow agonizing fall. Now I in no way want it to crash, but if it is going to, just get it over with already.

I do not get happy with Dow in the red, I just want it to hurry up and be over.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I agree... it's a baffling phenomena, I would guess associated with boards like this one in particular, where people are HOPING for disaster. And they don't just want a minor collapse, they want pain, suffering, death, riots, looting, hunger and starvation, the whole 9 yards. They are lying if they say otherwise. "Oh.. I don't reeaaly want that.. I just want the 'system' to fall!" Yea.. right.. whatever.

People need some justification for the 25 year shelf life food they bought in bulk, and their lovingly crafted BOBs, and their carefully tended gardens, as if the crap really hit the fan, this would all be for naught. The overwhelming #'s of people if such a calamity were to occur, would null any feeble attempt to protect oneselves or their property. I don't think people fully realize how terrible it would be.

I for one, want a healthy and happy family and friends, and don't even want my downstairs neighbor, who is a bit on the elderly side, but seems kinda nice, to suffer.

I also don't think people realize how good they have it. They cry and moan about our system and how horrible it is, and yet they live like Kings and Queens as opposed to almost any culture currently on the planet, or anytime in its past! There are too many people who have never really suffered a day in their lives, and they only want it because it seems exciting and different. If it really came down to it, they'd be sorry they ever wished for it, imo.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I don't think it is as much being happy that it is down rather it is an acceptance of what we all really know . . . there is nothing supporting increasing value of anything much right now outside of pure greed through the manipulation of the markets.

I sit back and honestly feel that it is so bad for some, they see any potential increase, slight uptick or any other upward movement in the market as their last ditch hope of sinking a few bucks into it and finding some sort of fiscal salvation.

Sad thing is, and it is only my belief, that there are people out there driving this false hope as a means to suck the last few dollars out of the wallets of those who can probably ill afford to lose it.

Realistically, there is no reason for optimism. Jobs continue to leak from the proverbial employment pipeline like a high pressure pinhole steam leak. Banks have little money to extend credit to those few still considered to be credit worthy, there is little relief coming in the price of staple goods or the energy sector, manufacturing is basically at a standstill, to survive people have to buy the cheapest which ultimately is produced offshore, our taxes are just as high if not higher than ever and the return on that investiment is nil, there were 74,000 more foreclosures in February and our government is either unwilling or unable to find a cure to the economic ills.

So, we expect the markets will be in decline and expect they will continue to be in decline for a protracted period. There is no reasonable expectation anywhere supported by any kind of objective evidence that things will bet better anytime soon without a full and final correction.

In that vein, I look to the continued contraction of the market and the continued correction toward true value of what is out there as the only measure of stability toward breaking down the corrput system in which we exist to the point we can rebuild it . . . this time hopefully chok full of 'lessons learned' through the gusto and greed which fueled our trip here such that we'll get it right . . . or at least a little closer to that goal the next time around.

Increases in the market suggest, at least to me, that greed is still there and will continue to fuel the angst of society until there is some real, lasting and substantial repairs to our system.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by GoalPoster]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Funny how I check out the tv in the morning and lately I do get bummed when the market goes up... but I believe it's just because this thing is really draaaaging out!

Just crash and get it over with, so we can clean up the mess and deal with our new lives!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There's a lack of confidence in the economy, when the market hits bottom then we know the large uncertainty factors have been cleaned out and it's healthy again. We want a reboot so we know the economy is solid and on the way up again, and we no longer have to worry about it.

I expected a longer bear market rally, if this one goes down now the drop won't be as cleansing as it would be if it rose 15-20%. This quarter earnings will reflect that all of us including companies are cutting spending right now instead of splurging, so I would guess next earnings report should bring the markets down further than 6,500.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I will be more then happy when it is gone and when i see pictures of wall street scumbags holding their heads because they lost everything,I will laugh and laugh.
A bit of a lifestyle change is worth their misery.
Yes,I am happy when the dow is down.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
As others have said, I get a little bummed when it goes up because I know that it is only delaying the inevitable.

Another reason I kinda get bummed is, if it gets REALLY low, I can put money in the stock market--getting tons of shares cheap, then when it roars back up, I'll be sittin' pretty.

However, I do feel horrible when I think about people older than myself who need their IRAs and other retirement plans that are linked to the stock market because, they're evaporating to nothing. I remember George Noory saying last year that his IRAs had lost half their value, and that was before the DOW went below 10,000. Older folks don't have as much or any time to recoup any loses like I would.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I agree... it's a baffling phenomena, I would guess associated with boards like this one in particular, where people are HOPING for disaster. And they don't just want a minor collapse, they want pain, suffering, death, riots, looting, hunger and starvation, the whole 9 yards. They are lying if they say otherwise. "Oh.. I don't reeaaly want that.. I just want the 'system' to fall!" Yea.. right.. whatever.

I understand why a board like this creates such suspicions, but at least with respect to the GM forum I have to say it is a gross, even crass misunderstanding of the actual content (-as opposed to a theoretical concept of what you might expect is said in here - an important distinction).

Contrary to understandable expectations a very high proportion of the economy & market-related discussions in here are serious-minded and intelligent. Posts and even whole threads do sometimes stray right off the wall, but they are undeniably the exeption to the rule. If you want "Yes! Bin Laden has a Neutron!" try Skunk Works or the Gray Area, etc. If you find it in GM it is almost without exception a joke. (It's actually symptomatic of the persistently heavy nature of many topics.)

Fleabit, what you suspect truly misses the mark. What is really going on in here is more akin to the captain of the Titanic (and his minions) shouting "The sea ahead is clear" and the passengers replying "It doesn't match the facts".

More recently we've had admissions of "There is danger ahead" coming from the helm, but these are invariably followed up by (?willfully?) ignorant "but look at the iceberg - it's not that big"-type propaganda.

When the passengers have access to subsurface sonar you can certainly expect they will be looking forward to the day the lies they have been fed with are exposed for what they are. But that does not mean they are looking forward to the ship going down or rubbing their hands in anticipation of the carnage!

It's all about seeing through the official line so you, and others, can be ready when the ship hits the facts (SHTF).

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I am just worried what will happen in the future if it doesn't straighten out naturally,NOW.

We all know it is being manipulated by dishonest and unscrupulous people, people without conscious,

Maybe it has to happen.

Think about it, be are bailing out people that don't give a crap about, you.

We are rewarding dishonesty.

All the while the little guy, works himself to death.

[edit on 123131p://bFriday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I don't feel happy/elated when the stock market is down. There are people I care about whose 401k's, IRA, and retirement packages are taking a terrible beating because of stock market crashes. Some of those folks have been investing their whole lives and were counting on that money being there for them in their retirement years. Some of those folks are in their retirement years now and are facing a difficult decision.

Do they withdraw their money now and take a huge loss? Do they leave it there and hope the market bounces back so they can recoup their losses? Will the market crash even lower...to the point that they could be left with absolutely nothing?

I feel badly for them and others like them who are in this position. When the market is down and the people I care about seeing their investments/retirement go up in flames, I don't feel good at all.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Fleabit, what you suspect truly misses the mark. What is really going on in here is more akin to the captain of the Titanic (and his minions) shouting "The sea ahead is clear" and the passengers replying "It doesn't match the facts".

I'm not talking about "he said, she said" here. Yes, politicians lie. As do CEO, banks, and the media. Guess what: If the entire system collapses, and we end up as a nation of shanty towns, it will STILL happen. Every day.. it's just human nature, unfortunately.

I am talking about the general attitude that many display that says in a nutshell, "Yes, we are doomed, there is NO hope, and man, I can't wait for it to happen!" You know I'm telling the truth here. There are a whole lot of people that think this way. It's gets tiresome.

Some are happy that lies and deceit get exposed. I guess that's you? And some other folks here. Then there are a lot MORE who don't care about the lies and deceit being exposed at all, they are thrilled that the economy is collapsing. That's an entirely different subset of folks, and their mindset baffles me.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I get your drift. Maybe I was a little harsh on you. It does exist, and it is indeed baffling. It's a known human foible, which varies in degree. Look up 'schadenfreude' in the dictionary.

I nevertheless still maintain that that is not the prevailing attitude in GM.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I feel horribly for those who are nearing retirement age because they've got little chance that it will rebound.

If you look at a graph of the DOW, or any of the markets since their 'highs', you can see how the letdown has been somehwat gradual, with only slight blips here and their either way . . . it has been doing the one step forward two steps back jiggy for the past year.

Interspersed within that 1 minus 2 death waltz are the occasional jumps or dives of up to five percent. Otherwise it has been in a steady decline, sort of like somebody or something in providing a softer landing for a controlled demolition as if somehow we're not going to get all freaked out with the dropping values.

Really folks, the markets have lost half their worth . . . HALF . . . and there is no reasonable expection that theres a 'fix' in place so every time we get these blips up, people get false hope and start throwing in what's left of their savings.

For the most part, trading is computer driven by levels . . . we are being duped.

And somebody's lining their pockets.

It certainly isn't the poor bastard two years from retirement watching their 401K become a 200.5E . . .

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cornblossom

I don't feel happy/elated when the stock market is down. There are people I care about whose 401k's, IRA, and retirement packages are taking a terrible beating because of stock market crashes. Some of those folks have been investing their whole lives and were counting on that money being there for them in their retirement years. Some of those folks are in their retirement years now and are facing a difficult decision.

I understand, I never thought this was a good idea to begin with.

It is a gamble, after all.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm not happy when the market is down, nor am I happy when it goes up because beyond my useless 401k I have no vested interest in the stock market. I am however worried when people jump to assumptions that the economy is saved because of a few days of gains when by the numbers we are still horribly low in comparison to where we were a few years ago. I tend to liken this to the whole eye of the storm where its calm; on the other side is where the really frightening things are going to occur.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
We are just sick of the game.

The false pumping up of imaginary funds into a dead system.

The game must end at some point so that the true up swing can begin.

There might be some market manipulation taking place by the PPT,
plunge-protection-team....if they are who you mean by false pumpers

but, reasonable analysts say that most of the individuals have already taken their money out of the stock market & have been 'on-the-sidelines' with cash.

the wild swings are from the Big-Money players who are the Institutional money managers, Mutual Funds, even some large private capital firms....
the fund managers had already decided to make buy-sell moves
when certain stocks prices/values reached a certain trigger-point...
They are looking to show a positive increase in their managed funds at the fast approaching end-of-Quarter report to shareholders...
~ Bonus money is tied to the Quarterly reports ~

about the 'game end';
we still need to suffer through the Commercial Property crisis,
the credit market 'writedowns' soon to explode ,
the likely 'green' bubble, as the Obama stimulus ramps up thru '09-'10

'we' are tired of the Bank bailouts....
'we' are tired of the Gold & Silver Futures manipulations....
And not so much 'tired' of the manipulated DOW stocks,
as there's only 30 of them.

thanks......

[edit on 13-3-2009 by St Udio]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join