It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China demands end of US Navy surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

China demands end of US Navy surveillance

news.yahoo.com

BEIJING – China's Defense Ministry has demanded that the U.S. Navy end surveillance missions off the country's southern coast following a weekend confrontation between an American vessel and Chinese ships.

In its first public comment on the Sunday episode, the ministry repeated earlier statements from the Foreign Ministry that the unarmed U.S. ship was operating illegally inside China's exclusive economic zone when it was challenged by three Chinese government ships and two Chinese-flagged trawlers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I can only imagine where this could go.

More than likely it will involve the PRC threatening to stop buying our debt and then we send Hillary with a DVD gift set to Beijing to beg the Chinese to keep buying up our debt.

Of course if we intend on defaulting on our debt we could always send Beijing nukes instead of DVD sets.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Maybe we should stop all the chinese ships from entering our exclusive economic zone.
All of there cargo ships.

Some of there cargo ships have military electronic equipment rivaling a military ship way more then a normal cargo ship would need.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
The USN was operating 65 NM offshore. That's well inside the EEZ, but well out of the territorial waters.

It's technically legal for a ship to be there, unless what they're doing is specifically made illegal by the nation claiming the EEZ.

My question - how would the US react to a Chinese naval spy ship cruising around 65 nautical miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, for example?

Technically legal, but it's still a provocation.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
China is totally kicking ass on a global scale and the US is scared enough now to send out these risky recon vessels.

It is still 1billion vs 300million - most things will swing the Chinese way as time goes on.

Good to see a superpower standing up for themselves against the USA.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by Nick_X]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
So, America uses boats as pretext to war? Again?

So predictable.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Several decades ago, in about the same area, USA found a pretext than
drifted into Vietnam war.
I guess, US elites are conniving a plan, when they find their economy
dooms to collapse, they wage an all out war to save their country or ruin together with rest of the world.
A cornered beast will do something desperate

[edit on 12-3-2009 by gs001]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I think China needs to get a grip.
If the US military wanted to do surveillance on them, they could take clear HD pictures of HU Jintao's nose hairs, from space.
Why would they need to use ocean research vessels to do surveillance on them?
I doubt that's what they are doing.
Usually when people conduct surveillance, they do it covertly, not right out in the open.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
I think China needs to get a grip.
If the US military wanted to do surveillance on them, they could take clear HD pictures of HU Jintao's nose hairs, from space.
Why would they need to use ocean research vessels to do surveillance on them?
I doubt that's what they are doing.
Usually when people conduct surveillance, they do it covertly, not right out in the open.

China knows exactly what the USNS Impeccable is capable of and what it was doing. It's an Ocean Surveillance Ship, it deploys it's sonar array and tracks submarines, its not really a hidden secret. They do a much better job of it than satellite imagery.

www.msc.navy.mil...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

I'd also read about the Impeccable's use for submarine mapping.. even though a satellite can look at the ocean floor like theres no water even there..

Maybe just trying to make a statement of we're watching you rather than doing it in "secret" from space!!

It would be very disturbing if WW3 was started by some chinese guys mooning a surveillance ship.. funny.. but disturbing

[edit on 12-3-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Look, it may have been used for that in the past.
But with currently technology, they can drop a module into the ocean from a plane or drone that is completely wireless and undetected.
And can monitor anything from it.
They don't need this old unarmed ship to be doing this.
I say its doing something else.

top topics

join