It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea levels 'to surge at least a metre'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Sea levels 'to surge at least a metre'

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

SCIENTISTS have warned that the impact of global warming is accelerating well beyond a forecast made by UN experts two years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If these guys are right it is time to sell up your beach house and move upland a bit...

Using the new model, "we get a range of sea level rise by 2100 between 75cm and 190cm when we apply the IPCC's temperature scenarios for the future", said climate expert Stefan Rahmstorf of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.

We're only talking 90 years away for this. One to two metres will have a huge effect on many cities, not to mentino what the redistributed weight of the oceans will do to faults in the crust.

I really hope that climate change is a conspiracy, but this nagging voice is telling me to go high.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
have they revised their estimates again?

the last figure i heard was 59 cm

www.abovetopsecret.com...

can't they agree even with so much funding at stake ? ?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Flippin bologni, global warming caused by man IS a conspiracy, if sea levels rise we will rise with them, as we have always done, no big deal.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Could be from all the blackops going on under the arctic sea. It is going to, it is causeing the rise in temps and will lead to massive underwater volcanos erupting and changing the entire earth when the Shift happens.

Only place to be when the shift hits the fan will be high and dry...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The trouble I always have with these "computer models" is that they can be tweaked to give whatever output is required to fit the particular theory currently in vogue. Keep tweaking the input data and you'll get a range of scenarios which, given the dynamics of natural weather cycles long term, can give wildly varying results.
The output result is therefore one of complete conjecture based on supposition alone, NOT necessarily fact, but grabs headlines and attention.

Not so many years ago we were all told to expect the start of the new ice age by now.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
have they revised their estimates again?

the last figure i heard was 59 cm

www.abovetopsecret.com...

can't they agree even with so much funding at stake ? ?

Yes they have revised the figure again with new information on glacial melting from Greenland and Antarctica. Previously they had assumed a zero net sea input, but satellite studies showed increased meltwater was destabilising glaciers and increasing outflow.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I will believe it when i happens.

Oh i won't be alive by then and nether will most of us.

Good idea for them make a claim that may OR MAY NOT not happen in most of our life times and think we will believe them.

What a bunch of BS

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Sea levels have always risen and fallen.
Why should we pay more taxes because of this?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan
I really hope that climate change is a conspiracy, but this nagging voice is telling me to go high.

Oh climate change is real, you can bet money on that. However, the conspiracy, is the fact that so many have been convinced that it's all because of us.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wouldn't a "surge" be a sudden rise in sea level? Ninety years isn't very sudden now, is it?

As the living earth adjusts itself, things like this will happen. It's a cycle that will never stop, and I really think that the more that the people on this planet try to stop it, the worse it will be.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I always enjoy these discussions. Yes the Earth will survive, the real question is will man? Global warming/ Climate change/ Fragile Earth call it what you want!

The facts are that Earth has had major and minor Eco changes all throughout its history. In geological terms Mankind is a newcomer to such things.

Have 6.7 Billion people contributed to a change? I will say yes! Will this lead to the destruction of Earth? No! Again the Earth will survive but will it be an Earth mankind can survive on?

Whether these are changes that happen naturally over time or whether man has contributed to a change is really irrelevant what’s really important is what can we do for our children and grandchildren?

This argument over what to call it or what is causing it is like having our house on fire and instead of doing something about it, we are all standing around arguing whether it was a lightning strike or was it the coffee pot that short circuited and do nothing to put out the fire.

There has been ice ages in the past and then massive melt offs and possible meteorite or comet impacts that caused massive extinctions nobody argues that those events have not happened. We could be in the middle of a cycle that has been happening for billions of years.

We should stop arguing over what it's called and whats causing it. The dinosaurs died off and I'm pretty sure to them their idea [if they had any] of the Earth was destroyed as they knew it. I think we are headed for a massive change!

How soon and to what extent? Nobody really knows. We can run computer simulations all we want and they can be pretty accurate, heck those types of simulations are what got us to the moon! So I think they are pretty valid again what can we do about it?

I'll tell you right now that a carbon tax or whatever they want to call it won’t do squat! What we need to do is get off the freaking fossil fuel kick! If anything else we could all breath a little easier!

Hey people the house is on fire!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
notice how the article said UN Scientists.
The UN is backed by the Global bankers and the head of the Nazi beast.

Just more BS when hundrends of scientists from Cali to Japan say we are Cooling. Just a joke.

We will defeat the NWO

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I'll tell you right now that a carbon tax or whatever they want to call it won’t do squat! What we need to do is get off the freaking fossil fuel kick! If anything else we could all breath a little easier!

Well said!

Carbon trading is a dangerous sidetrack that distracts from the overall picture. There is so much more going on than just CO2 that needs to be dealt with in total.

I don't spread industrial chemicals and pollution around my home so I don't expect to get away with it in the world either.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Oh NO! The sky is FALLING! The sky is FALLING!

What ARE we going to do?

How about asking a stupid question...

Exactly how much has the sea level risen by in the last ten years?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by golemina

Oh man get a grip.
Please if you're just looking for a quick laugh may I suggest BTS.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
One thing these bozos ignore, in their desperate attempt to pin any and all weather / climate trends on man made causes, is the evidence of ancient ruins off coastal areas all over the world.
Did these ancient settlements become inundated and lost beneath the waves due to their insistence on chasing down their food from the backs of SUV's, or massive pollution from their animal hide tanning factories?

How can they possibly pin rising sea levels squarely on man when history shows this has happened before, without the assistance of man made global pollution. Another aspect spoken of little, or not at all, is the matter of all the gases released by increased volcanic activity.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

is the matter of all the gases released by increased volcanic activity.

Hmm yeah only problem is , do you see any going pop? coz i dont, the only gas i see right now is that stuff coming out of cars and insdusty pipes ect..

i guess you could class that as a man made volcano?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
thats nice to hear since i live in a costal town by the sea,
and the truth is that here at least the land is rising.
in 10 years time i can buy that pice of property thats rising from the sea outside my pice property.

earth is not round, its egg shaped and water do migrate.

groundwater levels here has fallen about 3ft and theyve risen in australia 3ft

only diffrence is that in australia it pushes the salt within the soil with it up and makes the water undrinkable and un usable for farming.

sorry to burts the bubble , its not global its regional

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
reply to post by Britguy

is the matter of all the gases released by increased volcanic activity.

Hmm yeah only problem is , do you see any going pop? coz i dont, the only gas i see right now is that stuff coming out of cars and insdusty pipes ect..

i guess you could class that as a man made volcano?

There are plenty of volcanoes around the world spewing gases out in huge quantities. They don't have to be actively erupting spectacularly to be venting these gases either. Also take into account the undersea volcanic activity, unseen but very much a part of the issue.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join