It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Israel protest staged at Sweden tennis match

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Anti-Israel protest staged at Sweden tennis match

news.yahoo.com

MALMO, Sweden (Reuters) – Anti-Israeli protesters clashed with riot police outside an Israeli-Swedish Davis Cup tennis match in Sweden on Saturday, but did not break through police lines.

Due to security concerns, the three-day match is being played in an empty stadium in this southwestern port city, which has a large immigrant population.

Several hundred left-wing militants carrying banners saying "Turn left, smash right," and "Boycott Israel" joined a peaceful pro-Palestinian demonstrat
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.state.gov

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is this 1933 all over again. The global economy is collapsing, huge up swing in anti-semetism.

Now, I am sure people will relpy saying that Israel has this comming based on the latest Gaza offensive. I'm not trying to debate this in this post.

Here is a report from US State Department from 2005. It states:

"Anti-Semitism in Europe increased significantly in recent years. At the same time it should be noted that many European countries have comprehensive reporting systems that record incidents more completely than is possible in other countries. Because of this significant difference in reporting systems, it is not possible to make direct comparisons between countries or geographic regions. Beginning in 2000, verbal attacks directed against Jews increased while incidents of vandalism (e.g. graffiti, fire bombings of Jewish schools, desecration of synagogues and cemeteries) surged. Physical assaults including beatings, stabbings and other violence against Jews in Europe increased markedly, in a number of cases resulting in serious injury and even death. Also troubling is a bias that spills over into anti-Semitism in some of the left-of-center press and among some intellectuals."

I have personally noticed increased anti-semetism towards Jews since the 9/11 attacks. Now I think it is really getting more intense with the issues with Gaza, with Berny Madoff, etc...

What are your thoughts?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

I have personally noticed increased anti-semetism towards Jews since the 9/11 attacks. Now I think it is really getting more intense with the issues with Gaza, with Berny Madoff, etc...

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are simple. Everything happens for a reason. Israel is experiencing a self induced backlash and are not exempt from criticism. Furthermore, we need to make a distinction between honest criticism and anti-semetism because the lines appear to be purposefully blurred by the propagandists.

The most constructive thing any one person or any one nation can do is honestly address criticism in the interests of a workable solution. Denial solves nothing.

IRM

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Israel is getting what deserves: US veto is UNABLE to stop the protests that are taking place worldwide: people is NOT as blind as they might think or hope, and the facts are that Israel, during Cast Lead killed HUNDREDS OF CHILDREN, and if you call to express some disagreement with that anti semitism then you are just exploiting the facts.
According to The Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) the death toll was 1,285 with 895 civilian deaths: according to PMoH 437 were children under the age of 16 : so, what do they want? Applauses, perhaps? I acknowledge to Israel the right do defend itself, i condemn Hamas and i state here and now that all Hamas member shoud be killed for what they have done to Israel civilians, but NO ONE, NO ONE will ever be able to acknowledge to someone else the right to kill children, CHILDREN mate, not in this world, not in a world made by HUMAN BEINGS.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by internos]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

What are your thoughts?

Everyone playing tennis for Israel (oddly with the exception of Dudi Sela) has either a past record of service in the IDF, or is currently in the service.

With that piece of information in mind, protesting the actions of the IDF in Gaza at a tennis match makes a lot more sense, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos
I acknowledge to Israel the right do defend itself, i condemn Hamas and i state here and now that all Hamas member shoud be killed for what they have done to Israel civilians,

Israel is the aggressor. Their actions are not self defence -- it's genocide. They are involved in the slow-motion theft of Palestinian lands.

The Palestinians are resisting with the meager supplies at their disposal but they are getting clobbered. The Palestinians need better weapons, in large numbers. And some serious combat training.

The US is absolutely supporting the wrong people in this low-intensity genocide.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ubergrasshopper

Israel is the aggressor. Their actions are not self defence -- it's genocide. They are involved in the slow-motion theft of Palestinian lands.

The Palestinians are resisting with the meager supplies at their disposal but they are getting clobbered. The Palestinians need better weapons, in large numbers. And some serious combat training.

The US is absolutely supporting the wrong people in this low-intensity genocide.

The problem is that Hamas hits some RANDOM people (as well as Israel): but this way to act is always wrong, no matter if one is on the right side
To kill civilians, to bring terror with some launches of missiles hitting random targets gets the right side to the wrong one, even if this doesn't justify the unexplainable support that US are providing to Israel. Hamas is too radical, while what would be needed now are people with some diplomatic abilities, able to involved who rules (US) in a process that brings to a conclusive PEACE: weapons are NOT the answer, they would never have any chance, the better result that they would get by keeping it open the conflict is to get more davastated, and i'm pretty sure that you are aware of this.
Please, don't take my words as if they were towards the palestinian people, because they are NOT, it's on the CONTRARY. All i really hope is that violence ceases, and this can't be reached until Hamas stops deciding in behalf of palestinians. BUt i confess you, i have no idea how this could be done, i have no solutions to this very complicated situation: the only thing i know is that i want all this to stop

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It's more of a protest over Israels lack of human rights than "anti-israel" demonstrations. It was also derailed by Anti-Fascist groups.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think it's sad when they mix in politics with sports!

And I feel sad for the tennis-players who had to play the Davis Cup match without spectators, even if it was for safety reasons.

It's a sad world we're living in!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Is it just me, or is this 1933 all over again. The global economy is collapsing, huge up swing in anti-semetism.

People like you will never cease to exist

I know this, but all I can hope for is that a majority of people understands that being against Israel's foreign policy is not anti-semitism.

being against america's foreign policy is not anti-american

Even colin powell said that criticizing isreal's foreign policy is not anti-semitism.

but people like you, even after being a member of ats and being exposed to so much truth, still fall through the cracks.

this is govt. vs. people, the country or countries religious beliefs are completely irrevelant.

link   
I think that the whole idea behind sport tournaments is that it is not mixed with politics. Ideally. It is not so in reality of course. However it has nothing to do with genocide - there is no genocide. It has nothing to do with antisemitism - it is against Israel.
By the way, Israeli team won.

link   
Double post. And one line.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Hamas have asked Israel for peace talks and the Israelis refused,after hamas won the election (which was funded by the EU) and declared democratic and fair i might add, they asked for talks with Israel,both Israel and America turned round and declared them a terrorist organization and refused to talk with them or even aknowledge them as the rightful government.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Hamas does not recognise state of Israel. At all. So after winning elections it indeed wanted to talk. About a truce for re-arment. I do not think that diplomatically isolating Hamas was really benefitial but Hamas never wanted/participated/asked for peace talks.
Do you want me to quote parts of Hamas charter??

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
I think it's sad when they mix in politics with sports!

And I feel sad for the tennis-players who had to play the Davis Cup match without spectators, even if it was for safety reasons.

It's a sad world we're living in!

I think it's not only sad but INHUMAN for you to care about sports more than this:

no genocide eh?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The Hamas leader in an interview after the elections said he would forget the charter for peace talks and Israel to retreat back into its borders,israel refused,say what you like about Hamas...they may have been telling fibs who knows,but the fact you didn't even give peace talks in such a situation a chance shows israels true motives, and they are not for peace.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Genocide is a :

is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group.

en.wikipedia.org...
So it is not genocide. You can call it a lot of things (murder, cruelty, i can even understand war crime.) - but it is not a genocide. Is gruesome picture of blown bus in Jerusalem with body parts of kids a proof of genocide too?
War is awful nasty thing everywhere. Civilians get killed everywhere. Kids get killed everywhere. Body parts can be photographed everywhere. It is not justification of what was in Gaza - just statement of fact. All wars are genocide? Or only those that politically suit to be called genocide?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The OP brought up comparisons to prewar feelings, those same conditions dont exist now

Israel are now the Nazi's exacting genocide on another country.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

why is it a jew on ATS can tell what anti jewish is and being against Israel?
and why do people still insist on using Anti semetic when Semetic refers to Arabs aswell.

on topic

also when it comes to sports

Sports can be the pride of a Nation to show their peoples skills
and the people who protested peacully against Israel and its crimes
bravo

the violant ones just went down the same the level as the Israeli forces.

Originally posted by branty

The OP brought up comparisons to prewar feelings, those same conditions dont exist now

Israel are now the Nazi's exacting genocide on another country.

good luck with that

to most people here the crimes Israel commit are nothing as they are small scale, few even try and justify it by calling Israel a settler state and that justifies their actions. and that Nazi germany was in larger numbers

good vid

[edit on 8-3-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

What borders? Maybe Pre- 1948 borders....
Or this is what you mean:

"We accept a state on the June 4 line with Jerusalem as capital, real sovereignty and full right of return for refugees but without recognizing Israel," Mashaal told reporters, referring to the borders before the 1967 war, according to the Reuters news agency. Mashaal is known as one of the most militant members of the group's leadership.

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2008/04/22/MN9K109AB1.DTL
I am sure that Israel would accept a Palestinian state in borders of 2009, with all Jerusalem under Israeli control, without any refugees returning , with settlements all over and without recognising Palestinian state. What a compromise indeed. Of course it had to be accepted in referendum by majority of the Jews in the world.
Why sides are yet to sign a peace agreement i wonder...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join