It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we still idolize the rich and famous?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
TV?

What's that?

I gave up on TV and the MSM as a whole due to their trying to distract the entire populace from what's going on by putting large headlines in about footballers, rich people etc. that really don't deserve to be in the news at all as most of the time it's none of the general public's business anyway. Oh no, look, *insert famous persons name here* has cellulite!

On the other hand if they worked for what they have then I don't see the problem with idolizing them for their hard work. Not for their money, or fame or looks or whatever. Plus I bet a lot of the 'celebs' wish people would get a life and stop poking about their private affairs.

Definitely need more scientists around in the MSM though.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I think we are all guilty of reading articles on celebrities. How many of us pass a magazine stall and see a headline that catches our eye. By an large the media have cast the hook and we have been caught. We want to take a peek. We need to know. Maybe it is so we can pass a derogatory comment, maybe other reasons. A little escapism perhaps.
Most celebrities actors/singers need the media to promote their talent, to find recognition yet the press have a process where a celebrity will be put on a pedestal for a while. Once in the public eye, the press will make attempts to knock them off that pedestal by following their every move in the hope they are somewhere they shouldn't be/with someone they should not be with. It is what sells newspapers.
I have some sympathy for a celebrity who has their every move followed but often it is the lifestyle they pursued initially.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The only two people I really would like to meet who's "rich and famous" are William Shatner and Patrick Stewart.

I don't follow any news regarding celebrities, why? Never found it that fascinating. There's a ton of other things I'd rather be doing then hearing about Brittany's new secret bald baby or whatever.

And the reason why many people go to concerts is not to promote the idea that the artists in question are better then they are, but because they enjoy the music and they go to show support to the band, not to mention hear the music live, which has always been fun. (Never been to a concert myself, so this is just my theory.)

But I pretty much agree with the OP, this fascination with celebrities are quite scary in my opinion.

People, if you really want to waste your cash and time, do it on me.

Peace,
FK

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I agree that celebrity worship can and does get extremely out of hand.

But you have to take into the fact that some, not all keep in mind, have worked very hard to get where they are. Some people look up to people who have "made it" it thier respective field.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It merely provides more distraction in the land of apathy.

TV, Video Games, Alcohol, Drugs, Entertainment etc... only serves as a veil to our true identity. People have so little control of their own lives they become infinitely fascinated when they get to watch people who reflect such qualities from the comforts of their own home. You will always draw what you hold within. Others simply point and laugh, it is purely entertainment for them.

Regardless of their reasons, its more distraction for our already distracted lives.

Break the cycle.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
Now these guys are my favourite and the ones more worthy of idolizing because they actually have a talent

Wow, really? So you are telling me it takes no talent to be an amazing football player or an amazing actor? I dare you to act on a level of Brad Pitt or Heath Ledger. They are idolized because they are gods at what they do.

The difference is that these are forms of entertainment. As such, most people take SOME interest in it, some more than others. Not everyone likes science, so not every cares/idolizes Stephen Hawkings, but there are some people who do idolize their work.

The reason they idolize is because they want to be like them. They want to be the best actor, the best football player, the best musician, just like these people they idolize ARE. For some, it gives them hope, and something to aspire to.

"If he can play football that well, maybe I can if I try hard enough." and you know what, maybe he can't. Maybe he plays baseball, like that guy he idolized throughout his teen years, maybe he only gets a scholarship to college for baseball, and after his 4 years are up he gets a job that pays more than enough to live a comfortable life as a result of that college education.

If he hadn't idolized that sports player, he never would have gotten that scholarship, and maybe he wouldn't have gone to college at all. Don't tell me it doesn't happen because I've seen in happen twice personally.

If you really want to bash people idolizing somebody for no reason, bash Obama supporters. They idolize him and he hasn't even solved a single problem yet. Idolizing somebody when all they have done is become president, not BE president, well, THAT is when I take issue. When he proves he was a great president, then idolize him.

When you bash people for idolizing the best in their field, whether you have respect for the field or not, it just makes you look like a condescending ass.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It's very simple. The reason why we idolize the rich and famous is because they have "The Full Kwan", which is something we all want.

- I WANT to date hot women. (It's a desire that's in my Y chromosome)
- I WANT a lot of money so I don't have to work, just party!
- I WANT everyone to like me and to have a lot of friends.

That's what it all boils down to.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Jock and celebrity worship....yes. Sad state of affairs, they are all overpaid in my opinion. When the revolution comes, they will be the first to get long overdue paycuts.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Rick are one of us and if they have done smethng for which they should be creditd then fine !

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
These people barely affect my life.

So what if people want to spend money on entertainment such as these people?

While I laugh at musicians such as the Jonas Brothers and certain sports - who cares!? You do not have to give them any money if you do not wish. If there are those out there who wish to blow half their money on such forms of entertainment - why do you care?

Your avatar is anti-government yet I get the feeling you want regulation of salaries and "ego".

What have these people done for us? Provide an unimaginable amount of entertainment for a relatively cheap amount of money (unless you are the one who gets the Superbowl suite tickets).

You get rid of all of the categories you listed, and then lets say the next industry will be virtual ping pong. The organizers will become rich just because the demand is so high.

There are many ways to have fun. Do not contribute to these if you do not like them. I think movie prices are to high, so therefore I stopped going to the 10 dollar ticket ones and stick to the 2-3 dollar ones. That is one of my "forms" of "protest"...

So what are you wanting to do? Take their money away and spread it around?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Very few, except for top tier celebrities have wieldable power today - the sort of authority you need to influence the masses in a meaningful way. Ironically, nearly all of them are held prisoners by the same cameras that propel their careers. Unless you’re making millions per movie fame could be more of a burden than a blessing. And unless you're smart enough to use your fame as leverage to acheive something bigger, you've likely wasted a great gift. I like the idea of a smaller yet more influential Hollywood based on talent and wow factor, not corporate hype. Still, I suspect the world is on it’s way to ruins, so it might not matter anyway.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by sexysadie]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I have absolutely no problem with talentful people I mean yes there should be a hell of a lot more than there is now but that’s not the point im making the point im making is that certain talentless and undeserved people are being idolized are Gods I mean it’s just pathetic IMHO.

I mean people from reality programmes like Big Brother those people are worshipped as well as the programme and I ask why the hell would you want to worship those people for sitting around a house all day talking and they get a prize for it aswell it just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Yes sports men and woman do get paid too much aswell far too much for the current events that we are living in so yes they shouldn’t get paid as much as they do.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Here's what drives me completely nuts:

I HAVE talent. I have talent leaking out of my *bleeping* ears. I watch completely talentless, scruffy looking idiots make millions. I have tried to use my talents, I have tried to get my talents on tv, even... and what do you know.. I am not 'the type to be on tv. I am not 'handsome' or some crap.

I have now found out it's not what you know or can do, it's WHO you know and are willing to do. I only recently have found I can make my own movies using 3d animation software... So.... Once I learn the software, I'll do up some voices, find some sound effects, music, and put an occasional parody or original item on Youtube every so often.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rachel07

I mean absolutely no offense, but That is why you're poor. Let me explain. Who are the ones who almost always win the lotto, or end up being ridiculously rich? The people who have a buttload of cash to begin with. The money never seems to go to the ones who'd actually put it to use. It's like the money PTB manage to always keep it from those who'd do the most good with the cash. I cant explain how. All I know is I see the results of whatever this is.

As for celebs who donate? Some are doing it for good- but it's a small %. The rest do it for the publicity: "Oh, look how charitable *insert celeb name here* is! *worship worship*.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I think anyone who cares more about Jessica Simpson's expanding waistline then the state of our economy is a sad individual. How about trying less Entertainment Tonight, and more CNN, less US Weekly, and more TIME.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
"We" still idolize because it's deeply rooted in our culture. I'm pretty sure it has to do with some sort of tribal hierarchy that goes on since mankind's dawn. You "need" something or someone to look upon, to function as a role model. I don't condemn anyone that wants to be like Paris Hilton (only you know how shallow can you get), but you only get one side of the picture. Most famous people have as many problems as they got money. You just don't get to see that part. A lot of these people are alone on a saturday night too. It's just a charade, a show someone (MSM, TPTB, whatever) put for your entertaintment. Noone wants to be entertained by some famous' sad, sorry life, right? That pressure is constant in them, and eventually leads on nasty stuff, like OD, empty lives, chronical depression, suicide, and the list goes on.
So to sum up people don't idolize rich and famous, only idolize what they think they are, and all the circus around them. Reality couldn't be farther. Believe me, I know of what I'm talking about.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

Can you show me how they are being worshiped? I hope you are not getting your information from T.V or magazines, because once again - those are made for entertainment and will support it.

Only examples I can think of is "rockstars" (ha) like Hannah Montana with little girls buying dolls, folders, etc of her.

Seems to me you have a personal problem with the wealth of first class. I almost never encounter any sort of worship or high talk of celebrities unless a new movie just came out, where people will talk about it.

I do realize there are those who DO worship the rich and famous - but there are some annoyances in every little thing of this world.

Many people are sick with all the talk that Paris Hilton and the rest of the nut jobs get. But you can't blame them for making millions.

The better question is why does the media idolize the rich and famous? Even with all the restrictions they have, I still find it hard to believe the argument that the powers to be control all media and they want the public to hear about Hiltons new sex vid. I have come to the conclusion that A LOT of the news and talk shows on TV are this - idiots.

Perhaps with all the bad news, a little talk here and there wouldn't harm us either?

I was driving with my brother, and we saw a sign for a bar saying happy hour. Then he made a mock of it, saying that when he becomes a manger, he will make a sign called "Depressed hour - 50 dollar beer, comes with loaded gun"!

Even in the ancient times, there were always certain events that brought each other together (Olympics an example). Our current entertainment industry is no different (kinda).

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Of course the rich will always stay rich.

But what prevents you from becoming rich if you have a good idea and the motivation to do so?

Even with all the negativity some can be put in - ULTIMATELY- you decide.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by univac500
Okay, fair enough. Everyone is coming down hard on 'today's crop of various media celebrities'. Or, as the immortal Bill Hicks might quip: Those suckers of Satan's ****. This is well and good.

But remember. There ARE great people out there.

They make great movies.
They make great music.
They write great books.

The world would be a darker place without these cats.

True. As a musician and writer myself I agree. But, I have made 5 albums and haven't sold a one.(you can almost hear the funny guys on this one). I did not sell any because I gave them all away, thousands, personally. Music is my life, writing is a part of that, but i'm not here to prostitute, like some whore, i have more dignity and pride than that. do I want to be rich? of course who wouldn't want to be comfortable and enjoy all the crap that is displayed for us on tv and magazines. Everyone is just out for a buck, but when that buck isn't worth a f***, what then? I make music to teach, not to distract with how many girls i've been with or how big my rims are, or what club im at. don't have time or energy to be in the clubs with zombies

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join