It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake shakes Melbourne suburbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Earthquake shakes Melbourne suburbs

www.abc.net.au

The United States Geological Survey reported on its website the tremor was a magnitude 4.7 quake, about 96 kilometres from Melbourne, and Geoscience Australia says the tremor was centred near Korumburra.

There have been no reports of injury and police are urging people not to call 000 unless they have been injured or suffered property damage.

Victoria Police and the State Emergency Service also say there has been an earth tremor but said there are no reports of any damage so far.

Terry Ryan from the Bureau of Meteorology says the tremor struck just before 9:00pm (AEDT).

"At 8:55pm there was an earthquake 5.5 kilometres north-west of Korumburra, which of course is in South Gippsland," he said.

"At this stage the estimation was 8 kilometres deep."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Wow after the beached whales and dolphins post this one really hits.
I felt the quake and jumped out of my computer chair as quick as i could.

I was playing Empire total war, so the sounds of cannons and battle were loud, but when the whole apartment block shook I started to crap. I knew it was something else straight away.

My question to everyone is how do we get a 4.7r quake in Melbourne when we are so far away from any major fault lines?

Could it be HAARP? or are my ATS senses on nerve.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yep, and there's a discussion thread on it aswell here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We don't get earthquakes here, which is why this is worrying - it's not normal. (to the non-Australians).

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Don't need to be on a tectonic plate boundary for there to be an Earthquake. Although it is rare for it to happen; is is by no means unusual and has happened in the past.

The QUAKE

www.ga.gov.au...

Plenty of them.

Felt it,,, thought someone had crashed there car into my house or something LOL. That, or a plane crash,,, airshow starts on monday. Thought it was pretty cool actually; I want to be in a bigger one. Lol/.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
www.ga.gov.au...
Quakes in Australia almost every day.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
i felt it... but it felt like someone as rocking my chair so i didn't think much of it (thought it was the dog)... and its not rare...areas down near werribee get tremors every so often

new topics

top topics

join