It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caution: Stores are not buying much for next season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
No links, just watched a Fox Business segment about a coming retail store consolidation which will be dramatic compared with some of the chain closings we've already seen.

Consumers are not purchasing much, stores are not selling much, regional stores are closing, and some chains are closing. They expect dramatic consolidation of chains. Retail stores don't have much money, and they make seasonal purchases (spring line, summer line, fall line, winter line). Purchases are made a few months in advance.

Reduced sales, fewer stores, chain consolidation, reduced resupply = shortages in the winter.

So heads-up, plan your fall/winter resupply while last winters' inventory is still on sale. Christmas shopping 2009 will be very different from Christmas shopping 2008.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That is why the GDP was down for the last quarter of the 2008, the reports on production were also down in February due to the same reason, American retailers are not buying as much making the imports stagnate for the time being and all those trade partners will do the same with Americas exports.

Is not reason why to buy more than you can sell to end up on the sales rack at a lost.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
your right. i notised the other day shopping that my local super store has sneekly cut back on alot of it,s houshold products, and is stocking up on unfamilier products, it took your post before i clicked on what was happing is this a sign of adeeper recession than first thought, alot of the stuff their blagging is inferior rubbish ... hmmm this has got me thinking thank,s for the heads up

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I've said it before - take a good look at the shelves of your local big box or grocery. Pretty thin stocks already and inventories will only get tighter as the fiscal year progresses.

The staffs are bare-bones as well. Target's not even trying to fake it, they stopped playing music - probably ditched their Muzak account to save money. It's creepy quite while shopping since I'm practically the only one there...

[edit on 5/3/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The ones store that I have see a big change on stock is our local Dillard's at the mall.

While the store is saying that they are not closing, the store does look sad and everything is in sale.

I am not the only one nothing this also many people are questioning the closing.

Wal-mart is ok but the grocery areas are not as well stock as they used too.

Still they are one of those retailers that say they are doing well.

Our local Publix is doing very good, they are my favorite store to buy groceries, quite costly but at least I can find anything I want.

Bargain stores like TJmax and Ross are so messy that I just turn around at the door as i can not stand shopping in a messy place.

JcPenny look Ok, but Sears is another place that the store look like is thinning out.

Kohl's is booming in my area.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

The staffs are bare-bones as well. Target's not even trying to fake it, they stopped playing music - probably ditched their Muzak account to save money. It's creepy quite while shopping since I'm practically the only one there...

I have never been in a Target that played music. I was told none of their stores play music

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What type of stuff other than food and toilet paper do you think is being cut back on that we should stockpile? It's hard for me to get an ideal specifically without a link.

I don't do much department store shopping. Most after market stores like Ross tend to be messy most of the time anyway. I keep hearing that stores are doing poorly, even Goodwill and other thrift stores, but it seems like whenever I go there are plenty of people there. Maybe I'm not going to the stores that are being hit the hardest?

I just don't imagine an emergency over luxury goods being in short supply (except for maybe wine and chocolate
) So, this must be about more basic stuff?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by compwiz32190

Well mine used to but stopped around September/October. Curious. Now I'm just going to have to Scroogle that.

edit: You're right! And I'm obviously losing my mind...

www.thebreakroom.org...

Back on Topic, Sorry OP

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I notice that here in California many Starbucks stores, which usually are famous for thier music, have none. They too have to "buy" soundtracks from corporate. Bet they are just trying to get by.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
A few weeks ago, I did noticed lower stock in our local grocery store, but that is no longer the case. And around Denver, all the major stores look very normal. I don't see a lack of anything, or weird stock items, either.

As far as the #'s of employees, that has never changed. Even years ago, in a wal-mart, there is often only I dunno.. 1/4 of the lanes with checkers.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I've said it before - take a good look at the shelves of your local big box or grocery. Pretty thin stocks already and inventories will only get tighter as the fiscal year progresses.

I've just started noticing this at my local supermarket. Inventory is pushed to the front of the shelves with the back part of the shelves either empty or, bizarrely, filled with short, empty white boxes to hold the cans and packages towards the front.

The first time I saw it I could have chalked it up to being there in between shelf-stockings, but two more visits with the same strange white boxes is just plain worrisome.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I also noticed stores are carrying lower quality no-name brand items.

I stopped by Sears on the way home Tuesday, easy parking, and very few shoppers but full shelves with lots of 50% off signs. The few clerks that were there were chatting with each other, also no music. I'll come back this evening as there's a sale starting on kitchen goods today.

I went to a Circuit City during lunch today, about 80% of the store is empty and there's mostly previously opened items and little-needed accessories left at 50%-80% off. Lots of lookers but most of the good stuff is gone.

As far as winter items, stores have little budget to restock the winter items. If the dropping economy spreads a fear of the unknown spreads through the rest of the public in the fall, generators, pellet stoves, heaters, blankets, jackets, tents, winter tires, batteries and other winter survival items will be in short supply if not restocked. One strategy could be to slowly buy winter items over the summer, if you can find seasonal items off-season.

The economy will contract further over the summer, unemployment will rise, unemployment benefits will time-out for those already on it, public services will be trimmed back. Imagine unemployment and a hot summer. Those thoughts made me browse through Google videos of the 1992 Los Angeles Riots...

top topics

join