It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO-induced "Non--sonic" Boom Rattles So. Cal?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo
Last night (3 March 09) about 9:30 pm I felt, along with thousands of other locals in Southern California, a very strange house-rattling that set us all on edge.

As a Physical Geog professor and long-time California resident I've experienced hundreds of earthquakes - and this was definitely not one at all. None of the earthquake monitoring sites show anything of note, the local airports and regional military bases all say no operations, and nobody seems to know what caused it.

It was a quick rattling of a few seconds, rather noisy, causing the windows to rattle, doors to shake in their frames, and setting the dogs in the neighborhood off on a barking frenzy. There was no ground movement felt and the typical 'signs' we come to expect following an earthquake were altogether absent: chandeliers swinging, swimming pool water rocking back-and-forth, etc.

I've felt precisely the same thing occasionally in Southern California, where I live. First experienced it in the early 1990's.

It is almost certainly a sonic boom from an unacknowledged aircraft.

I heard a story at one point, unconfirmed, that seismic experts from Caltech detected this phenomenon and recognized it was not an earthquake. The effect was coupled into the ground by the tall skyscrapers in downtown L.A. By some computations they recognized it as corresponding to something moving north in the direction of Edwards A.F.B. at about Mach 5.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm still surprised that there is talk of any type of sonic wave here.

Say it was a secret hypersonic aircraft flying through the valley in Riverside. The sonic wave still has to travel and spread at 750 mph,

How could someone in San Franscico and Orange County 400 miles away, feel the wave at the same time? Or even Tenessee and Portugal?

The notion of a sonic boom is impossible due to the wide area that felt it at the same time.

Even assuming a sonic wave could travel 400 miles from origin, it would still tae quite a few minutes to reach it.

I witnessed this event in my house in SoCal, I can tell you right now, it was not a "shaking" or "vibration" it was a deliberate MOVING. Unlike a sonic boom which occasionally shakes my windows and doors and plates , this night, it seemed like someone was prying up the window pane, and leaning against it for 10 seconds or so. Then it sounded like someone broke through my window upstairs and was walking and shuffling their feet. It was VERY unsettling.

THere are reports of interior doorknobs moving and INTERIOR doors being pressed against the door jam.

Sorry fellas, but the ol' sonic boom secret aircraft explaination doesn't apply in this incident.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Where I live is on the south east coast of England, 30 miles across the water in Essex is a place called Shrubrness firing range. www.qinetiq.com...
When they are firing or blowing up large munitions we often get a shock wave that rolls across the sea and makes doors and windows shake.In some cases windows have been damaged .The shock-wave can be felt and makes me feel a little nauseous.When I lived in a flat on the seafront part of a large 150 year old building, the front door would shake loudly every time there was a boom.Some people can hear the boom like me and others don't notice it. It got so bad that at one stage complaints about the vibrations were taken to Parliament hansard.millbanksystems.com... Maybe there were secret naval maneuvers out at sea that could account for the shock-wave similar to my experience.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by manbird12000

Your description of the event is quite spooky. If you live in an active EQ zone along with regular sonic booms, you most likely know when it doesn't feel "usual". If someone was rattling my windows and doorknobs at night, I'd be scared.

I posted in the other thread a theory on the footsteps sound. Is it possible other animals (squirrels, raccoons, bats, other people's cats etc) that may usually nest above your home, roof, attic etc may have reacted as pets did, and made those sounds as they scrambled away? Or did it really sound like something heavier walking around? Just curious, since you're one that heard these sounds.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The santa cruz event was 12 hours later

I remember when the space shuttle used to land at edwards, it would pass over where i live at about 100k'-80k'.

There was no boom per se, but just a passing rummble

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
There's something fishy goin on here. I thought military jets where prohibited from breaking the sound barrier over dense population centers such as this?
Even when watching the Blue Angels show they are rarely if ever allowed to go supersonic over areas such as Seattle. But in general, it doesn't seem likely this would be allowed. Secondly the report states the USGS found no earthquake activity, winds or natural phenominon to account for this.

Thirdly, why no comment from the military, the FAA? Don't they know whats going on above our heads, surely SOMEONE should be easing citizens minds?
Its the lack of ANY comment that makes us suspicious..was it military exercises? fine tell us so. WhATS GOING ON??????

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yea thats nice, but there is no shuttle in orbit let alone landing is there?

Originally posted by punkinworks09

The santa cruz event was 12 hours later

I remember when the space shuttle used to land at edwards, it would pass over where i live at about 100k'-80k'.

There was no boom per se, but just a passing rummble

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So your saying they are blowing up munitions in the middle of a city? C'mon..NOT REMOTELY POSSIBLE.

Originally posted by tarifa37
Where I live is on the south east coast of England, 30 miles across the water in Essex is a place called Shrubrness firing range.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I can confirm this. Once when shooting some pictures in Beltinge, IIRC summer 1996, I heard something very similar which was apparently from the range in Essex, 30 odd miles away across the water. Must be a pain for people living nearby because it was quite sporadic and thus came out of the blue.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet

Your description of the event is quite spooky. If you live in an active EQ zone along with regular sonic booms, you most likely know when it doesn't feel "usual". If someone was rattling my windows and doorknobs at night, I'd be scared.

I posted in the other thread a theory on the footsteps sound. Is it possible other animals (squirrels, raccoons, bats, other people's cats etc) that may usually nest above your home, roof, attic etc may have reacted as pets did, and made those sounds as they scrambled away? Or did it really sound like something heavier walking around? Just curious, since you're one that heard these sounds.

Hi Violet, good question. The footstep sounds I heard were in my upstairs bedroom, and I was directly below it in my living room. Unless I ahve a 100 pound mouse in the closet, I don't think it was an animal.. hehe.

It's so hard to describe it, you can see on some of the witness reports that people were feeling like someone was breaking into their home. It was just a feeling I've never had before in my life. We get earthquakes and occasional sonic booms, even the space shuttle rattle our house a while ago. But this was compeltely different.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

That isn't it. One of the largest, most active military bases in the SW US is just a few miles from us (Camp Pendleton). They often do maneuvers on base and just off-shore.

We hear artillery and canon fire and explosive munitions coming from there all the time - almost daily. Some are quite large and have, on occasion, rattled a window or something.

No, this was much, much different. For one thing, the effect from a munitions or artillery blast only travels several miles at most (which is why we feel them regularly and hear the 'bang'). With this incident, however, thousands of homes in a 400 square mile area were affected!!

Secondly, the rattle lasted several seconds and was very intense, very noisy. Nothing like the quick boom (or successive booms) of artillery fire followed by a tiny rattle (rarely). With this incident every window and door rattled and lasted much longer than the munitions reaction we're used to experiencing.

Thirdly, the animals went ballistic. My dog started whimpering even BEFORE the event, and seconds later when the shaking started my dog and all the dogs as far as you can hear all went off on a barking jag I've never heard before. My dog (and the neighborhood dogs) NEVER bark when there is military explosions going on at the marine base nearby.

Finally, although some reported hearing a 'boom' noise, by far the majority, myself included, heard NO SOUND whatsoever! Whenever the military is playing war games nearby I ALWAYS can hear the distant "boom-ba-ba-boom" of the explosions. Always. In fact, if it is especially quiet (no wind, etc.) I can often distinctly make out several different types of munitions going off by the way they sound. This incident produced not a single sound that I could make out - more like an earthquake - but without any of the other characteristics that earthquakes produce.

Also, the base always issues a release warning that maneuvers will be taking place at a certain time (the base, though desolate and mountainous, is surrounded by densely populated areas). Further, the local news media inquired at the base following the incident and the Marine public affairs officer confirmed that there were NO munitions-explosive exercises scheduled on the evening in question.

So, thank you. I know exactly of what you speak. But - that just wasn't it.

In a way, I wish you were right on. Then we'd be able to put this matter to bed.

P.S. The consensus around here is a classified, high-altitude black-ops type aircraft either on its way into or out of Edwards Air Force Base to the North (the same place the Space Shuttle lands periodically - and yes, we've heard the sonic boom from incoming shuttles in the past as well. this was nothing like that either).

*sigh*

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Outrageo]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I may be wrong, but don't Sonic Booms regularly trip seismographs?

This is odd. Like the third or fourth time I've seen a thread of this nature in the last month or so. Usually being reported from a different region in the US, although there have been similar reports in Greece, I think.

www.abovetopsecret.com... This thread hits really close to home for me. Too close for comfort.

I've also heard it reported in Detroit, New Jersey and now California...

Each time the MO is basically the same, except for the one I linked above. Around here people heard a noise associated with the rumblings. The "experts" in this area are convinced it is atmospheric in nature, but no mentions of a sonic boom. Unexplained is the term they used.

I've heard people suggest it is a subterrainian supersonic train system, UFOs, military jets, etc. etc.

When I read this thread, my wife suggested that it could possibly be something like high-energy protons striking our atmosphere.
That sounds like as good a guess as any so far, I suppose. I wonder if anyone has access to any data-sets that show concentrations of particles colliding with the magnetosphere? Or if any such data-sets even exist.

The reason I ask is because I have heard that Nikola Tesla wanted to harness the energy exerted on the magnetosphere by collecting the particles being sent through. He would then use this to build his "peace ray" or whatever it was.

It is just a bit scary, if you ask me. If this is some sort of device that produces this effect, it has very deadly potential.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Yes, the Newspaper blog that originally broke the story has several posters who are convinced that the area was subject to a low-level weapons test or something similar at one of the many skunkwork/phantom work labs in the area.

Not necessarily intentional or even accidental, just a theory some are postulating. The majority are still leaning experimental aircraft a la Aurora or something along those lines.

[edit on 3/9/2009 by Outrageo]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by manbird12000
I'm still surprised that there is talk of any type of sonic wave here.

Say it was a secret hypersonic aircraft flying through the valley in Riverside. The sonic wave still has to travel and spread at 750 mph,

How could someone in San Franscico and Orange County 400 miles away, feel the wave at the same time? Or even Tenessee and Portugal?

Do we have confirmed instrumental evidence that people felt that wave at the same time exactly? Numbers matter here. And remember that the important issue is the speed of the aircraft, which is substantially faster.

The notion of a sonic boom is impossible due to the wide area that felt it at the same time.

Even assuming a sonic wave could travel 400 miles from origin, it would still tae quite a few minutes to reach it.

A sonic boom from a rapid aircraft is not a point event, like a big firecracker---it is created continuously in front of the aircraft.

I witnessed this event in my house in SoCal, I can tell you right now, it was not a "shaking" or "vibration" it was a deliberate MOVING. Unlike a sonic boom which occasionally shakes my windows and doors and plates , this night, it seemed like someone was prying up the window pane, and leaning against it for 10 seconds or so. Then it sounded like someone broke through my window upstairs and was walking and shuffling their feet. It was VERY unsettling.

THere are reports of interior doorknobs moving and INTERIOR doors being pressed against the door jam.

Sorry fellas, but the ol' sonic boom secret aircraft explaination doesn't apply in this incident.

The fact that it seemed different in some way doesn't at all rule out a sonic boom. The effect could be substantially different because the aircraft, altitude and speed are different.

I felt the same things as you described---it felt like a very brief earthquake, and didn't feel like when the Blue Angels occasionally create a sonic boom.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by mbkennel]

[edit on 9-3-2009 by mbkennel]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Just a thought..

I read alot of the accounts posted on the OC register and quite few people said they felt strange, they thought someone was tapping on there windows trying to get in to their homes etc..

Could and I am only saying could be that there was a high Electro Magnetic Field at that the time of the windows shaking etc that made people feel uneasy.. it is widely known in paranormal circles that high emf readings can cause nausea, hallucinations, feeling of not being alone, being watched, etc..

Maybe a weapons test of some sorts?? Very interesting post one I shall look forward to following..!!

Flag for sure!!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
There are now over 525 posts on the newspaper site from individuals commenting on their experiences with this phenomenon, theories, analysis, explanation, and links to related information. There is way too much to re-post here, but it may be worthwhile to provide the link to the original article and blog about this event so ATS researchers and enthusiasts may peruse the latest. Surreptitiously, the reporter renamed the original article "Boom from jet likely caused mysterious shaking...", but doing so has done little to quiet the controversy.

What I find most interesting is the consistency in the accounts of so many people from widely different cultures, locations, communities, and circumstances all relating nearly identical experiences: the rattling of windows and doors with no earth movement or loud boom, the dogs and other animals clearly anticipating and reacting to the unusual event, the headaches of those that were in the area at the time of the event, the inescapable feeling of intrusion, and on and on.

The follow-up article by the newspaper, interestingly named an "X-File" by the paper and journalists also is building a large contingent of posters that are eager for answers - and so far are not satisfied by the explanations proposed.

Several other local and regional news and television stations hopped on the bandwagon, sending chummy reporters to the field to video interview the 'common man and woman in the street', doing a bit of UFO-snickering (par for the course), and speaking with police and other authorities about the hundreds who called 911 reporting that the shaking "felt like someone was walking on their roof" or "trying to break into their house".

Others around the country and the world have chimed in as well with similar experiences, though much of it may be a bit of "herding mentality".

The mystery remains, though the majority of news reports and lay consensus remains with some large, secret black ops type aircraft operation as the culprit. As we all know, this would be a convenient explanation, and just as likely true, but certainly would preclude any further definitive we 'citizens' can sink our teeth into. The gubmint's policy of "Plausible Denial" has worked for decades - no reason to expect any change just because a few folks had their cages rattled a bit...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

That was the story over this way also. We aren't as prone to EQ's as you guys in Cali, but people were all over the seismographs saying it wasn't an EarthQuake.

It is some atmospheric event. Some unknown event.

I imagine that the feelings of intrusion are the realization that this is likely manmade and it is threatening.
Electromagnetism could also be at play.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Not sure what it could be that people are hearing but 2 "booms" were apparently heard in Rockland County NY just this past weekend. The article seems to allege a meteorite...

I have a good friend who's from there and asked if he had heard it. He said no, but did mention that there's a lime quarry not too far from this area where dynamite blasts can be heard every once in awhile.

Not saying that's what it was for sure but certainly something to consider...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

I previously lived directly across the highway from a rock quarry.

What happens with these occasional blasts is that blasters will sometimes accidentally drill into the rock and hit a cavity. Not realizing it they begin to pack powder. If they don't pack the hole completely, look out!

The blasts can be tremendous. Shake a house at the foundation.
Blasters can tell you the barometric pressure by the decibel level of their blasts. It is an exact science, most of the time.

Two things.

1) These types of things carry a definate BOOM with them. There is no doubt what just happened when you have a bad blast.
2) If this were the case, it would have been explained away by now. These events have not been sufficiently explained at all.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It happened again!

Read the latest here. Obviously, there is something going on. Check out the 83 posters already to the blog in the article above. Also, an interesting poll on the same article shows that the far majority of respondents believe that "Secret Military Aircraft" is the culprit.

Apparently, Skunkworks/Phantomworks and their customers are either testing some new-fangled super-plane in the area - or - maybe there is some sort of UFO convention going on up at Edwards AFB. A cosmic trade-show of sorts.

Perhaps the Janes folks will release a watered-down highlights report for us lowly unwashed masses in the near future... Nah...
We don't rank high enough to get the truth about what's going on.

My guess is that in 5 or 10 years we'll find out that some ultra-sleek spy plane has already been in operation for decades, with maybe a space-plane re-entry type of boom rattling windows as it head backs down to base...

*sigh*

[edit on 3/17/2009 by Outrageo]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join