It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have heard stories from older people about a sattelite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I have heard stories from older people about a sattelite that was lit and plain visible during the night in the past, some 40-50 years back or so.

Anyone knows the story to give it in better detail?
I would like to know all about it. Could it be a version of sputnic ?
I do not know just asking, but i am quite sure this story that came back to me from my early years in life is true. If i recall it was visible for quite some time.
I do not know if it is of any current interest but i would really like to know more.
Any clues?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
you can see the iridium satellite constellation at certain times of the night, bright as a star. I think there are astronomical programs that can tell you when you'd see them. Other satellites are often less shiny in construction.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
No no i know about this!
I mean VERY bright. Brighter than the star most of us observe near the moon lately. Venus? Whatever. MUCH BRIGHTER!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
I have heard stories from older people about a sattelite that was lit and plain visible during the night in the past, some 40-50 years back or so....Could it be a version of sputnic ?

I recall seeing Echo 1 pass overhead in the early '60s. I think it was the first American satellite.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I am under the impresion that the sattelite was static over the earth....

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hi!

I believe the satellite story dates back to the beginning of the space race.

Way back then the USSR (or perhaps USA) coated or filled one satellite with potassium or a similar stuff that made a big bright glow when the satellite reentered the atmosphere.

Don't think this had any scientific meaning, it was most probably just an PR stunt.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
I am under the impresion that the sattelite was static over the earth....

If it's in a geosynchronous orbit then it would appear to be static when observed from earth. Are there satellites that are not in a geosync'd orbit
Aren't there even sats that have thrusters so they can reposition themselves?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
If it's in a geosynchronous orbit then it would appear to be static when observed from earth. Are there satellites that are not in a geosync'd orbit
Aren't there even sats that have thrusters so they can reposition themselves?

There are plenty not in geosync orbit. If you can get away from the city on a clear night if you look up for awhile, you'll see them go across the sky. They are pretty fast, and not as bright as most stars. They go across the entire sky in about 30-40 seconds or quicker.

But others aren't as fast. I know the ISS isn't in geosync, but it doesn't move around so fast, and it is much brighter than a star. You can view it for long periods of time if it's over you.

top topics

join