It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Kids Get Autism from Watching TV?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
An even more interesting thought...what if this whole- convert your TV Federal crap is nothing more but a scam to get everyone to "upgrade" to the types of TV that will program us.

What if now- in all TV's- we are being transmitted electronically either messages, microbots, subliminal receiving the NWO agenda. Totally possible- will the world ever be safe again?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
An even more interesting thought...what if this whole- convert your TV Federal crap is nothing more but a scam to get everyone to "upgrade" to the types of TV that will program us.

What if now- in all TV's- we are being transmitted electronically either messages, microbots, subliminal receiving the NWO agenda. Totally possible- will the world ever be safe again?

I think, if it is a fact that children are more susceptible to Autistic Spectrum Disorder and that adults become 'zoned out' after staring at the screen for a minute, that any subliminal effects are already in place if they need to be. Is it by chance or a NWO agenda? Who knows, but is the equivalent of administering a very powerful sedative drug on people, it desensitises people from understanding reality by broadcasting low grade, crap, entertainment.

In short, it stops people thinking for themselves critically and from appreciating the effects of political manipulations on the world today. For example 1 million people dies in Iraq, yet, because TV 'protected us' from looking at images of dead people, dead children and destroyed lives, we felt as if everything was as normal. TV gave us a daily dose of normality - we still voted for the best singer, we still saw out Police bravely fight down the bad guys and we concentrated more on the sex life of the next super-slut rather than pondering on the Holocaust that we helped to create.

In short, if the media ever broadcast images of dead and mangled bodies into our living rooms on a daily basis, the outcry would serve to mobilise public opinion to stop all war straight away. This is the hypnotic effect of TV on us. I don't think the digital switchover will change much.

Thank you for your very valuable contribution to the thread.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
My son whom use to watch Barney 24x7 who now is 10 years old. Is close to having MR. But my Autistic daughter whom never had a tv around her until when she was 5 years old is Autistic. So there full of crap. My youngest daughter now 6 years old. The one that is Autistic went 5 years with no TV so how can TV have anything to do with autism? Yet she had it from the time she was a baby? Just the government trying to put the blame on something other then there vaccines.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nasacarl

I watch an our or so of Tv a day but i only like watching History/Discovery , then again i spend heaps of time on youtube. But its exercising your mind so its not really a bad thing , like playing video games.

Well, if I watch anything, it is typically the Discovery or History channel. I watch the news stations fairly regularly, but take most of what I hear with a grain of salt.

If you're going to argue that we learn anything from "Reality" T.V or the like, then I have to beg to differ. From what I can see, everything that the critics said about television at its inception has turned out to be fairly true.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Its sad we dont have an answer for this frustrating disease. I think it could be a million things. Genes, environmental issues, food quality, vaccines (GMO food, hfcs). You could come up with hundreds of theories just on this one subject!

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

Well, I already gave my honest opinion about it. I think it's a shame that people continue to want to label it a "disease" and "medicate" these kids.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by nibirusight
It is caused by marijuana....either the male/female were high on it while they practiced sexual intercourse....

Neither one. Sorry to say it but hubby and I dont either one do drugs in any way shape or form. We dont even drink. So that elliminates alot. As for food, I have to say that when my child was very young she ate what came from our garden not hamburgers and all of that stuff. So there goes another ellimination. I still think it has to do with the vaccines no matter what anyone says.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pmbhuntress

I have a family member of mine who has it..

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Let me get this straight... Becaue these kids are "unsociable" or whatever,I and everyone else is supposed to assume that it's a "disease?" Hmmm... That's the problem with psychology and psychiatry now. Everything is either labeled a mental "disorder" or disease.

We already have a society of walking zombies walking around from being over "medicated," and some want more... Interesting concept, but it's one that doesn't make much sense to me.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Let me get this straight... Becaue these kids are "unsociable" or whatever,I and everyone else is supposed to assume that it's a "disease?" Hmmm... That's the problem with psychology and psychiatry now. Everything is either labeled a mental "disorder" or disease.

We already have a society of walking zombies walking around from being over "medicated," and some want more... Interesting concept, but it's one that doesn't make much sense to me.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

Speaker, I appreciate your point of view but it is not only being unsociable with these kids, it is about some serious symptoms like complete avoidance of human interaction. The levels of autism are going up. What is making them go up? I don't think it is down to parents getting high when they conceive their children. Some of it is down to the environment.

If environmental factors are examined some researchers claim that watching TV from an early (infant) age may help in autism. Not all autism as has been already mentioned but maybe some of the autism. I am trying to highlight that TV is not always educational, it is also a tool to hypnotise the watcher for want of a better word. In that highly suggestible state, advertisers can run riot skilfully, to force people to consume. It is a possibility that it may cause our kids to be less sociable and I see that as a problem. If society becomes more electronic and isolated where is society any more? What about helping your neighbour or helping those less fortunate than yourself? It then becomes an essentially selfish and the family unit is even less nuclear than before - this is a danger for the development of the human race IMHO.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Let me get one thing straight Autism is not a disease, it also is not a disability according to the government. My 6 year old who rocks all day long. (which has gotten worse over the past 2 years) They say will be able to get a job when she is 18. How I dont know? Figuring that she rocks constantly all day long. She cant even learn in school. Yet she is suppose to be normal according to government standards.

The only way they can seem to calm my daughter down is by letting her listen to music, it calms her down for a short time. But she is scared of everyone and everything. She screams when people go near her, and she throws things, as well as kicks and bites. In fact they had 14 police at the school one day, just because she had a bad day. 4 people ended up in the hospital. Yet she is not disabled, according to government standards.

The government wont pay for these children to be sent to special schools, so therefore they have to be kept in with regular children and treated as though they are normal. Which I hate to say it they are not. The problem is Autism has been around for years we are just finally seeing more of it.

Last year I had the pleasure of meeting a 40 year old man that had it. He was a rocker like my daughter. He rocked all the time while I was there. He cant work due to it, he also is scared of everything like my daughter. Yet he does not get disabilty because, Autism is not a disabilty. His mother is still taking care of him. Will I be taking care of my daughter in 35 years? I guess so.

The odds of a child being autistic are 1 in 10. That is the new odds just in the past 5 years. If you ask me its most likely in the foods we eat now a days. to many preservatives, and chemicals. Or from the vaccines. Or maybe from the pollution. Either way its something that we all do every day. Most likely it all goes back to the government some how.

If I had the chance to go back and have a normal child instaed of having Paloma would I do it? No way. She makes my day. She may be a handful but I have to say I wouldnt trade her for a million normal children.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pmbhuntress

Thank you for sharing what is not, unfortunately, an uncommon story. When I was growing up (1950s-60s) autism was rare. Supposedly, girls were immune to it. Try telling that to the family with TWO autistic daughters. We now know that is not true.

There can be mild to severe autism. One boy (mildly autistic) I know probably could get a job, but, the rest of the children I have seen will not.

There is some merit to having children with disabilities interact with "normal" children. "Mainstreaming" children used to mean placing them when they were ready to interact. Sadly, it has turned into a cost saving device, shoving children out before they were ready, to cut down on the costs of special education.
Merely placing a child in a "normal" classroom will not "cure" the disability. The intense work that must be done to allow even a moderately, let alone severely, autistic child to have a better quality of life is enormous, way beyond what most people can conceive.

My heart goes out to all families of not just autistic children but children with similar disabilities of social interaction.
Oh, and, yes, adults better believe that a small child who has a "bad day", as you so truly said, can easily disable an adult.

TV? My understanding of autism is that the infant seems to be developing normally in all respects, until a point between the first and second year. Then parents see a reversal of development. Some other similar but non-autistic conditions are caught around the age of three, when the parent realizes for sure something is not right.

So I wonder how much time an infant would have to spend in front of a tv. Could it be alpha-waves or some field bombarding and interacting with the brain in some way?
Study needs to be done, as researchers are finding out that, while the brain can repair damage and be malleable, even psychological/emotional trauma can hardwire the brain. It is this hardwiring that sets even "normal" children up for later continuing displays of social reactions to that trauma.
Bottom line, whatever is causing this increase in autism better be found out before long.

Also, bottom line for the human race, it would be better to hardwire the human brain with loving interactions than hateful interactions. Behaving with self-respect and respect for others may be our only salvation. Maybe the commands to forgive and to love one another, and even love your enemies, is the only way for us to survive. It goes against what we would like to do, but maybe we need to hardwire our brains differently to survive.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I have recently been reading some groundbreaking work in the area of autism, I also work as a carer to a couple of autistic guys.... I don't have the stuff in front of me it's at work but the nuts n bolts of it are.

In the past it has been thought that the autistic brain didn't process all the information that it takes in, under-processing. The thinking now is that it is actually over-processing....imagine you're driving down a motorway your brain takes in everything that you see, but most of it goes straight into the sub-conscious. In the autistic brain everything is processed and nothing goes to the sub-conscious, so there is so much information in it cause an overload an certain things shut down, to the point that they cant drive.

As to them being unsociable, absolute rubbish. I've worked with people from mild to extreme, once WE learn how to communicate properly they are the same as everyone else...

to the point of television causing autism, not directly but if the above is correct then todays children are taking in a lot more info than in the past..

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's very hard to base an intelligent discussion on an abstract of a paper of which we are unable to view the methods and statistics more closely.

The authors state that they believe that television is a trigger for autism and state that television viewing is positively correlated with precipitation and then compare data about the prevalence of autism in three locals with the precipitation data in those locals.

One could just as easily conclude that precipitation causes autism based on that flimsy data and what about all the other variables related to house-bound children due to precipitation.

Might one not look for variables such as increased abuse under such circumstances or perhaps the effects of indoor pollution?

Television might well be a trigger for autism, but based on the limited data available regarding this research, so could a lot of other things.

[edit on 2009/3/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoswatchinwho

In the past it has been thought that the autistic brain didn't process all the information that it takes in, under-processing. The thinking now is that it is actually over-processing....imagine you're driving down a motorway your brain takes in everything that you see, but most of it goes straight into the sub-conscious. In the autistic brain everything is processed and nothing goes to the sub-conscious, so there is so much information in it cause an overload an certain things shut down, to the point that they cant drive.

Well, it's known that of the 4 billion bits of information that is received per second by the human, we process only 2000 bits of it. So, if what you are claiming is true, I suspect it may be, then that fits well with the whole "autism is a part of evolution" theory.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I've found the article in the newscientist....

www.newscientist.com...

Read full articleContinue reading page |1 |2 |3 IMAGINE a world where every sound jars like a jackhammer, every light is a blinding strobe, clothes feel like sandpaper and even your own mother's face appears as a jumble of frightening and disconnected pieces. This, say neuroscientists Kamila and Henry Markram of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is how it feels to be autistic. According to their "intense world" hypothesis, all of autism's baffling and sometimes incongruous features - social problems, language impairment and obsessive behaviour, sometimes allied to dazzling savant abilities - can be explained by a single neurological defect: a hyperactive brain that makes ordinary, everyday sensory experiences utterly overwhelming.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
do kids get autism from tv?? I've have to say no. I mean, I watched tv as a kid and I do not have autism. Maybe a little ADD, but even that I don't attribute to tv. I don't know the cause of autism, but my wife and I have some disagreements. I know a lot of autism is blamed on vaccines. I'm not sure I totally buy into that. I have had vaccines as a kid, and even an adult. I jokingly told her I didn't want to get out kids vaccinated because of autism...of course we did though. That is a whole different topic though. My wife attributes the "rise" of autism cases with doctors diagnosing more cases of autism...not that the cause is vaccines. More so the criteria of what constitutes having autism, maybe being misdiagnosed. Sort of like how lots of kids seem to be diagnosed with ADD, even though it might just be a phase, or my belief is having a poor diet. I was never diagnosed as a kid with ADD, not until I went to the doctor well into my 20's did I seek some help. I don't know...I'm pretty sure tv wont cause autism though.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

Over-processing. Interesting. Would the intensity of motion (rocking, ex) or using a sense intensely (music, touching) help to stabilize this over-processing, make it more manageable? I wonder.

Also, a parent at my work uses sign language to communicate with her son, who has some severe type of language disorder. She says that experts told her don't do that, as he has normal hearing and it might set back his attempts at oral communication. As a mother, she said he certainly hadn't been able to communicate with her before and now they can, his speech will develop eventually. She thinks they were more concerned that a school could not provide a sign language aide (human resources and money) rather than a developmental set back.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

Over-processing. Interesting. Would the intensity of motion (rocking, ex) or using a sense intensely (music, touching) help to stabilize this over-processing, make it more manageable? I wonder

That is where my thinking is at, only by focusing almost entirely on one thing can they start to make some kind of sense of whts going on..

This could also lead to an understanding of savants, autistic geniuses,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join