It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Kids Get Autism from Watching TV?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
Is it just bad parenting using the T.V. as a pacifier or baby-sitter?

Wow, you are suggesting parents are to blame for children having autism spectrum disorder? That's a new low for ATS.

I have a one and only child who is now almost seven. I was in my mid thirties when I had her and would *never* consider using a tv as a fraking babysitter. We spent most of her young years and even today outside in nature. Going to the park, the zoo, or just hanging out in our yard. When she does watch tv, it is education and non-commerical.

Your suggestion is insenstive, at least in the way in which it was presented. You must think highly of the parents of the children in which you teach. ::smirk::

I have my own ideas on the causes for autism. As you know, this is a worldwide phenonmon not limited to just the US or UK. My theory is prcessed foods. It's all the spam and hamburger helper we ate in the 70s.

Luckily, my child is in a 'normal' class with her peers and is doing outstanding. She very cerebral and rather unemotional. Smart as a whip. Just the other night I commented, where is the moon (after reading an ats post about what's that by the moon) my six year old informed me it was behind the clouds. ::insert warm fuzzy here:: She can navigate around a computer better then some adults I know, using drop down menus, minimizing, and opening new windows. Hey! where did mommies ATS go? I know I didn't leave the 'puter on the Noggin website.

Finally, I refuse to medicate my child just to make MY life easier. It was suggested by doctors to medicate her because she use to be prone to the most awful meltdowns. When we left the park it was if I was abducting a child the way she would act. Now that we can communicate more fluidly, this behaviour has seemed to lesson.

[edit on 3/1/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You are so lucky to be able to take yours to the park. Mine hates Butterflies, flies, cats. dogs. anything that moves. Including the wind. If the wind blows she starts screaming. We have 4 dogs so it gets kind of bad some days. Then she has some days when she will play with my oldest dog as long as the dog is laying down sleeping. But as soon as he looks at her she screams and runs away.

As for the other poster that mentioned the music, it works wonders for children with Autism. That is the only way they can calm my daughter down in school. They have an area where she can site and listen with head phones. Mrs. Young said its the only thing that seems to work for her. I figure if it calms her down let them keep trying to use it with her at school.

As for bad days. Yes those can be very bad. I have seen Paloma black out eyes, I have seen her crack peoples heads open with a hard toy. And I have seen her crack open one poor police officers head with a high heel shoe. So yeah she can be bad on a bad day. The good days always make up for all of the bad days.

A word of advice though to everyone. If a child is hiding and scared. And happens to be autistic. Leave them alone and let them come out on there own. Never force them out. Or stand there poking at them with a night stick. Or you will feel the wrath of a Autistic child. On a very, very bad day.

Whisper I am begining to wonder if there is a pattern here though. I also had my Paloma in my mid 30s and I also know of 4 others that had autistic children as well at that age. Maybe we should stop waiting to have kids. Oh well to late for me. I dont intend on having any more.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thank you PMB for sharing your story.

This is indeed a SPECTRUM disorder. I want to be very clear on something especially to you. I stated I didn't choose to medicate my child to make my life easier. She's very high functioning. I place no judgements on familes who do choose to medicate their children. As it is a spectrum, the severity can be very great. For others, it may be in the best interest of the child to be on medication. Each case is different.

My statement was made in response to when I mentioned these meltdowns to my doctor, medication was the first and only advice he offered.

More and more people are waiting to have children so perhaps the age of the parents does come into play here. Good point.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
Thank you PMB for sharing your story.

This is indeed a SPECTRUM disorder. I want to be very clear on something especially to you. I stated I didn't choose to medicate my child to make my life easier. She's very high functioning. I place no judgements on familes who do choose to medicate their children. As it is a spectrum, the severity can be very great. For others, it may be in the best interest of the child to be on medication. Each case is different.

My statement was made in response to when I mentioned these meltdowns to my doctor, medication was the first and only advice he offered.

More and more people are waiting to have children so perhaps the age of the parents does come into play here. Good point.

They gave me an option to treat her with meds to keep her more calm or just keep her the way she is. I decided it was best for her not to give her meds. We have a hard enough time giving her cold meds. She thinks we are giving her poison?? Where she gets that idea from I dont know. So I figured we were better off not medicating. She also has asthma and it takes me 30 minutes to give her the puffer in the mornings because she insists its poison. Dont even ask how long it takes to give her the nose spray at night. I cant imagine giving her more meds.

Many folks are waiting to have kids these days. I dont know if its due to our ages when children are born or what. But I have started over the past year making sure that my kids eat 50% of there foods grown right here on our land. This year that is going up to 75% we now have a cow and chickens so that helps.

To the others:

My kids unlike many other kids dont get McDonalds and all of that crappy food. Once a month I go and buy some Chinese food and thats it for eating out. As for TV my kids went most of the beginnings of there lives without any. I made sure of it. Then my sister allowed my son to watch Barney and he got right into that. Can Barney make kids stupid? Yes he can. My son is close to having MR, yet he was normal before watching Barney.

So I guess that you can say that TV as far as Barney and Pee Wee herman are concerned CAN destroy the brain. But as for nature programs like what my little one watches now and only 1 hour a day. That wont harm her. If anything it is probally teaching her alot more then we learned when we were kids.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pmbhuntress

I worked in a very large environmental laboratory. I tell people this all the time. there is the pollution you know about, you can see. And there is ten times more horrid stuff that people don't know about. i saw things come from the regular world that would make your eyebrows burn off. Stuff people came across. And this is still stuff some of know about. Then there the stuff that no one knows about, being pumped into the environment.

Then you have major additives and preservatives to food. And vaccines, and chlorinate and flouridated water. The list goes on. Our chemical burdens have been maxed.
Lets not forget the chemicals in the home. Children absorb even the smallest amount of chemicals, And the companies are not required to report them. Most of the "cleaner's people use have toxicity ratings. then they clean their tub and place their child into it for a bath. Fabric softener is bad stuff. It doesn't even break down in the environment, and we wash our clothes and sheets in it.
The stuff should be illegal.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by pmbhuntress

I worked in a very large environmental laboratory. I tell people this all the time. there is the pollution you know about, you can see. And there is ten times more horrid stuff that people don't know about. i saw things come from the regular world that would make your eyebrows burn off. Stuff people came across. And this is still stuff some of know about. Then there the stuff that no one knows about, being pumped into the environment.

Then you have major additives and preservatives to food. And vaccines, and chlorinate and flouridated water. The list goes on. Our chemical burdens have been maxed.
Lets not forget the chemicals in the home. Children absorb even the smallest amount of chemicals, And the companies are not required to report them. Most of the "cleaner's people use have toxicity ratings. then they clean their tub and place their child into it for a bath. Fabric softener is bad stuff. It doesn't even break down in the environment, and we wash our clothes and sheets in it.
The stuff should be illegal.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by nixie_nox]

This is so very true. I in fact told some one the other day about a study that was done on the Amish community. They had a 0% cancer rate. Its due to the fact that they dont eat anything bought from stores. They dont clean with cleaners, ect.

WRAL out of Raleigh did a segment on tomaoes. They were showing how a tomato that came from South America could stay on our store shelves for 6 months. And still look perfect. I figure if its sprayed with junk 6 times just to stay on the shelf real pretty then it may cause me cancer 20 years after eating it. (No studies were ever done to check for long term effects on any of the sprays)

A study was conducted to see how many preservatives that the normal human consumed in a day. It came up to be 14.1 ounces. Yet when we die we are only injected with 6 ounces of the same preservatives. Which means we are eating something we really should not be eating. And way to much of it.

As for cleaning, I recommend always just plain old bleach and the old fashioned Lysol, some folks may use pine oil for floors but I cant I am allergic to it. Lysol may be a bit stinky but it does the job. I also do not use softener in my clothes I put a tablespoon of vinegar in my wash and it softens everything. If you want a good smell you can add rose water or any good smelling water that you can make at home. I use Lilac, and Sweetpea water.

Its the stuff that we dont see and have no way of doing anything to fix that can bring harm to us. Like in my area we have the Army base in Fayettville. They blow stuff up daily there. We hear it daily as well as feel it. So you know you are breathing in something. Then you have Mills, that are pumping crap into your lungs daily. cars that are polluting the air. Neighbors spraying there yards with chemicals. ect, ect.

Just a few changes in our lives may help us to live a few extra years, one never knows. And it may also help with the problems our kids are having as well.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress

I in fact told some one the other day about a study that was done on the Amish community. They had a 0% cancer rate.

The cancer rate among the Amish is not zero. The rates for certain kinds of cancer among the Amish are quite low, but for other forms they are quite high.

Here's a synopsis of cancer rates among four religious groups, including the Amish. Click the link.

Amish and Hutterites have unusually high rates of breast cancer and juvenile leukemia.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Google Search

[edit on 2009/3/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I in fact told some one the other day about a study that was done on the Amish community. They had a 0% cancer rate.

The cancer rate among the Amish is not zero. The rates for certain kinds of cancer among the Amish are quite low, but for other forms they are quite high.

Here's a synopsis of cancer rates among four religious groups, including the Amish. Click the link.

Amish and Hutterites have unusually high rates of breast cancer and juvenile leukemia.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Google Search

Great all we need some more government research. That they prove supposibly what? The same government that is killing us all? Yet we are suppose to believe what the government tells us? Truth be known you would find out more if you did the research yourself by visiting the community and sticking around and talking with them for a few months.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Great all we need some more government research. That they prove supposibly what?

If you don't like that study, then click on the Google link and find other studies that report basically the same thing, not the mention the genetic disorders that are rampant in closed communities such as the Amish.

Is the problem simply that facts get in the way of your argument?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

IN her defense, the government studies are tentative at best. The FDA still claims that food dyes are safe. Yet they have not been studied since 1983. How can a pervasive chemical and food additive, not be reviewed?

The Amish may get cancer, but there are other problems they don't have.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

If you read the abstract, it is purely descriptive. There is nothing tentative about it.

The Amish have a low incidence of certain kinds of cancer, which are associated with certain behaviors that are common in the broader society and very rare among the four religious groups studied.

There is, however, a high incidence of other cancers such as breast cancer and childhood leukemia, which are so far inexplicable.

At any rate, the cancer rate among the Amish is not zero and there is nothing obviously suspect about the research. It is a simple descriptive study.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join