It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange bird found in Mexico

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex on page 2:

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole
Stupid us...! But now I have to admit you were right. After some research, it turned out to be an obvious hoax. So it WAS a Nighthawk.

No one said it was a hoax. A hoax implies a malicious intent to deceive. No one is claiming that.
What do you think it is?

My guess is it's either an intentional hoax/joke or another genetic manipulation. And if it’s the latter, it will be denied and declared as an “easily explainable hoax” - as usual. So it doesn’t really matter. Either it’s a real hoax or it’s “hoax” because it isn’t.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Armour For Victor

I take that back, they said it was just a rare type of BIRD. ...lol.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeAreAllGod
It looks a lot like what we aussies call a 'tawny frogmmouth' or Podargus strigoides. It's a type of owl-like bird we get over here.

That is exactly what it looks like, it was the first thing i thought of when i saw it. Just looks a tad different than the nighthawk and it would explain why its unknown aswell. There is a huge illegal trade in native birdlife out of Australia and it looks like one has escaped.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

How do I explain the difference as you perceive it? The individual's perception of what they see. If you look at only one picture of any animal and that is your only exposure to that creature, it is conceivable that you may misinterpret what you see in a second photo or brief video, especially if you have concreted an alternate concept of the animal.

For me, I saw a Nightjar, commonly referred to as a Nighthawk, recognizing the root of the species, small beak, big wide mouth, tiny hairs around the beak, found in Mexico. No mystery for me and I did not notice any discrepancy in the video to its appearance, none at all. For me, the little guy looked exactly as it should.

Reminds me of three blind men describing an elephant to a sighted person.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
They say that its a little known type of bird , so if they say that then its because they probably identified it.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Im still going with a Tawny Frogmouth, they are related to the Nightjar. What gets me though is it made the news surely there are Nightjars in Mexico.

edit: The more i look at the vid, and photos the more im positive that bird is a Australian native, i dont think its a Night Hawk

[edit on 21-2-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If that was a new type of bird , do you people really think they would release it.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dracodie
They say that its a little known type of bird , so if they say that then its because they probably identified it.

If they said it was a known type of bird, small in size, I'd agree. But if they meant it was somewhat unknown or rare, I would have to disagree. The range of Nightjars covers both North and South America and is a very common nocturnal bird.

I can remember hearing the call of the Nightjar at sundown virtually anywhere I traveled in North America. The call is something of a cooing sound often described as a distant voice saying “whooperwil” or “whoop-poor-will”.

In the spring this year, all through summer, go outside at sundown and listen, you’ll hear it.

Pazcat, I remember the first time I saw a picture of the frog mouth, I thought, hey that looks just like a Night Hawk.

[edit on 2/21/2009 by eaganthorn]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I really think it is a Frogmouth the nighthawk pics are so different, as soon as i saw it i knew what it was.
Either way its a bird not a flying reptillian politician or whatever.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hello Top Secreters:

I write from the city of the source of this video, Monterrey, Mexico.

It is common on popular culture here in the city that once in a while there would be sightings of "witches" flying over the city, which basically is what all those people on the video are stating.

People on popular neighbourhoods often refer to this sightings as witches or Hombres Pajaro (Birdmen).

An important thing to note is that this city is on the bottom of a velley and is surrounded by mountains. Other versions include that there might be some sort of flying dinosour still living in secluded areas behing the mountains.

P.D. This is my first post, I really enjoy this website! you have a friend down here in Mexico.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
It's a nighthawk, as has been siad numerous times before by other posters.

I've seen one. this is a nighthawk.

neat birds, by the way, kind of like moths.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
it's actually called a veridian nether drake...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

Originally posted by munkey66
you really have to shake your head at some of the comments.

Someone tells you what it is and people still want to claim its a reptile

In my opinion it does look like this, a nighthawk

and another with mouth partly open

[edit on 21-2-2009 by munkey66]

It looks similar but the mouth seems way too wide.

Could the be an owl?

I believe its a Tawny Frogmouth Owl, which isnt really an owl but as others have said a Nightjar / Nighthawk ... hence the Frogmouth part in the name, they got big gobs
that hinge like a frogs (although if you have ever looked at a birds skull their beaks all hinge that way for the most part, some just hinge further back than others.

But like Munkey66 its amazing to me that people refuse to listen to an explanation when its given... think people need to watch a little more of the nature doco's , after all their at least one of the good things on TV still.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Ok, so they found this bird and because it looks a bit unusual they lock it away in a little cage?

What a sick world we live in!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
lol the people of that neighborhood were thinking it was a witch

anway at the end they said it's nothing out of normal.. Just a rare species of bird. Too bad they didnt mention what is called.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by aNdReSk]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
good example of how uneducated people with a lack for researching can be cajoled by their sensationalist media into fascination of something paranormal or cryptic.

all these guys had to do is do what we are doing in this thread.. and find what it actually is.

maybe there's not one computer in that village with internet.. but that's kind of hard to believe..
at least the TV show could have researched it.

i detest this sort of thing.. because it leads people to come to the conclusion i just made..
about REAL things that get sifted into the same hoaxy or ignorant sensationalist category...

research research research..

-

-

[edit on 21-2-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolBlackHole

It's neither! Have you not been reading this thread? It's been identified. There is no hoax, no genetic manipulation; just a bird some locals hadn't seen.
NOT EVERYTHING IS A CONSPIRACY!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aNdReSk
lol the people of that neighborhood were thinking it was a witch
anway at the end they said it's nothing out of normal.. Just a rare species of bird. Too bad they didnt mention what is called.

Originally posted by NoArmsJames
"It's neither! Have you not been reading this thread? It's been identified. There is no hoax, no genetic manipulation; just a bird some locals hadn't seen.
NOT EVERYTHING IS A CONSPIRACY!"

Sure, that's why they wanted to lock it away, as already thegreatobserver stated in his post above. It’s known that aboriginal Mexicans are easily scared by birds. You can see it in their fearful eyes as they surround it in the video. That’s why most Mexicans instinctively try to lock away all birds. To be on the safe side.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
so i went to google looked up the frog mouth and they all have owl eyes and a mouth kind of like that bird but the big thing is the frogmouth looks like an owl and the bird in the video dosnt

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join