It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blinded woman demands 'eye for eye' punishment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Blinded woman demands 'eye for eye' punishment

www.cnn.com

Ameneh Bahrami was blinded when a spurned suitor hurled acid at her face. Two weeks after the attack, the man turned himself in and confessed in court in Iran. Now, Bahrami is waiting for justice: acid dropped in the attacker's eyes as his punishment. "I told the judge I want an eye for an eye," Bahrami said. "People like him should be made to feel my suffering."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
So whats says you.

"eye for an eye" punishment should happen? Or should he be punished with imprisonment or by other means?

I personally don't think he should have this done to him. Stand trial, answer for your actions and go to jail. Jail, but for how long?

What is an appropriate punishment?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I thought this was old news?

Anyways, difficult question.

It makes sense on first thought that punishment for a crime should be equal to the pain caused by the crime, but on carrying it out, it is often barbaric.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You beat me to this by a couple of mouse clicks!!

He is already in jail. He has admitted to blinding and disfiguring her with acid. He has shown no remorse and said he did it because he "loved" her. Helluva way to show love..... :shk:

She turned down "blood money" for this attack. She wants him to have the same thing that happened to her to happen to him.

Only, it won't.

Unlike her, who had acid thrown on her face and was disfigured there and on her hands, he will have drops placed in his eyes. And, if it happens to her attacker, maybe some other crazed stalker will think twice before throwing acid into the face of someone the "love".

Maybe I am strange, but I don't find anything wrong with her requesting this and it being done to him. It is their culture. It is their law. And, it seems more than fitting in this case.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I applaude that woman and I have long thought that while considered a barbaric pratice to us that we should live by Hammurabi's law.

I guarandamntee that if acid is poured in his eyes that he will be reformed instantly and it won't take years of taxpayers dollars to get there.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The fallibility of any justice system and the potential for corrupt action means that any physical punishment that would have a lasting effect should be ruled out. It may sound fine for a serial child killer to be tortured but not when it turns out 10 years later that he was innocent.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

This guy admitted what he did to her and showed no remorse at all.

This isn't a case where there is a question about who did what to who. He did it, and under their law and culture, she can request to have done to him what he did to her.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
So they will put this guy to sleep and burn his eyes with acid.

That's justice?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I don't think they will be putting him to sleep.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Confessions don't always mean guilt in the long run. What would you have done with Kiszko? He confessed and was found guilty of raping and murdering an 11 year old girl. What would you have done?

I'm not saying he isn't guilty or that he doesn't deserve to have acid poured in his eyes but that doesn't mean it should happen.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

According to a CNN television report on this they will... I watched it just a while ago.

They interviewed this woman, quite an interesting report... They did say that this guy will be put to sleep to have this done.

The victim's story was interesting... The pictures of what happened to her were shocking.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I was going by the article on cnn.com.

Either way, she went through hell and I don't think that her wanting her attacker to experience a small amount of what she went through is wrong.

If they do put him to sleep to do this, he won't feel a thing, which I guess is a humane way of taking an "eye for an eye".

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Sure I am all for it.
After all this is moses law doesn't the Islam also believe in moses.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Yep, that's justice. Again crimes of any sort would be reduced dramatically if we were to employ the same punishment on the ones committing the crime. Then when the crime rate dropped then we would all live more peacefully.

When I lived in Greece I was told right away about the laws there. They had told me that if something was stolen you could bet it was an America that stole because the Greeks knew the laws and that is if you were caught stealing off with the hand that stole - Guess what? They typically don't steal. They think about the consequences which OMG - it's because of our judicial system we have so much crime because the consequences are ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
but hang on - this is in `backwards` Iran , where women have no rights (apparantly)

and yet - this would never be considered in the west - human rights and all that , yet in `backwards` iran , the victim turned down compensation - and enacted part of the law.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
i say teach the woman some compassion instead. eye for eye justice is not correct.

if needed, kill the woman to set a precedent. i being a muslim myself cannot imagine that a woman should have this sort of audacity. its against sharia.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So what about the case I highlighted above? Stefan Kiszko confessed and was found guilty of raping and murdering an 11 year old girl. What would you, those who say there is nothing wrong with this practice, have done with Kiszko?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Well thanks for reminding us that we in America are all companioned people we do not kill, maim or injure our fellow human American beings.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

This isn't about that case.

This is about a case where a victim can request that what happened to her happens to him. She turned down blood money for a chance to maybe prevent an attack like hers happening again.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
No this is about “"eye for an eye" punishment should happen? Or should he be punished with imprisonment or by other means?”

Please read the OP.

As far as that issue goes, the Stefan Kiszko case is very important. Here we have a person going through a rigorous judicial process, confessing and being found guilty only to be found not guilty many years later. If you agree with the concept of an eye for an eye I think it is perfectly valid to ask what you would have done with Kiszko.

Originally posted by DDay

Greeks knew the laws and that is if you were caught stealing off with the hand that stole

Eh? I've never heard that, do you have a source.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join