It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I answer this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Perhaps thats why stories in all belief sytems can seem far fetched so ones learns how to believe. The kind of belief you need to have to have no doubt in something.

But then we live in an age where people can't even believe in what they see.

I think someone said the bible didn't mention ufo's. I know many people that believe in ufo's and one of the main books they refer to as talking of ufo's is Ezekiel.

Perhaps its what you want to see in the bible or don't want to see in the bible you will find there. It's one book that can mean different things to everyone who reads it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

I don't aim to drive to or from belief systems.

I aim to voice my opinion... I don't make up peoples minds for them mate... they are free to do that on their own...

Just as I am free to say what I feel about the beliefs of others.

Once someone is set in their beliefs, it is impossible to change their mind with arguments from reason...

Carl Sagan once said: "You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe."

He also said "It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The Bible can coincide with the History of Earth. The days leading up to the creation of humans can be the millions of years that it took to get to that point. Who was there to count the days before humans existed?

I'd pay no attention to the militant atheists. They like to push their agenda as much as a firm believer in any religion. And for the record, I am no Christian. I just like to think that anything is possible.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Okay, folks... let's have some civility here.

The OP asked a question. If you can't offer any answers WITHIN THE CONFINES OF HER FAITH -- then don't go on the attack. Find another thread to argue points in.

There are many threads where we can discuss our problems with the literalist view of creation and the age of the Earth and dinosaurs. Go debate there (and be civil).

(I do suggest that she ask the question on a Christian board, though. The answers there may be more useful.)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Thanks for calling me mate..I've never been called that put a smile on my face and gave me a chuckle.

I never argue with someone about beliefs. I find the best way to open minds is not with reason but with questions. The search for reason will do them good keeps the mind thinking.

Questions make people think. One thing over here in this country they are trying to make our children stop thinking. I tell my son question everything..never stop questioning. I don't want him growing up being a koolaid drinker.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

I would tell your son the truth, dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, but God called them behemoth, dinosaurs is a relatively modern name. I would say the below is probably describing a brontosaurus, note the tail like a cedar.

Also, I would tell him dinosaurs aren't mentioned much in the Bible because God is more concerned with humans. Note how He says the behemoth eats grass, I believe the brontosaurus was thought to be a vegetarian. Also note below how God says he made the behemoth at the same time as men.

This is from Job 40 v 15 - 24

15Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. 16Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. 17He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. 18His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron. 19He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him. 20Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play. 21He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. 22The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about. 23Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. 24He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Notice how this describes the tail......
here is a link to a picture of a mature cedar tree so you can see the size.

size of cedar tree

Also, here are some interesting sites showing depictions of dinosaurs on old pottery found in various places, proving man and dinosaurs existed at the same time, or how would these have come about? I didn't refresh my memory as to the approximate age of the items, I saw this information awhile ago, and thought it was interesting.

dinosaur pottery

more dinosaur art and pottery

and more

this one shows triceretops and allosaurus

Hope this helps you. God Bless.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Dang! I remember asking that question. I honestly can't remember the answer I got. It obviously wasn't a good answer as I am not a Christian anymore.

I do feel for you. How do you answer that. The best thing I can say without telling to drop your faith as soon as possible would be to sit down and pray! the answer will come to you, and above all be honest.

Good luck on that.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue

This is from Job 40 v 15 - 24

15Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. 16Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. 17He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. 18His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron. 19He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him. 20Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play. 21He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. 22The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about. 23Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. 24He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Yes, I think that is one of the answers I got!

Now that I am thinking about that I don't remember being to satisfied with that answer thought....Wish I could remember the other answers.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Hard question to answer. Here is a possibility:

www.anunseenworld.com...

realtruthministries.org...

Unfortunately you have attracted the "evangelical atheist" to your question.. what? never heard of that, let me explain... LOL

www.urbandictionary.com...

1. An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.

Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just dont talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their perogative. Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the Internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the Internet to hate 'the system'.

2. An Evangelical Atheist is a person that is an atheist and tries to spread atheism amongst theists. It is derived from Evangelism, meaning "Spreading Good News" as practiced by Christianity. Due to the rise of the Conservative Christian movement in the United States of America and the increase of humanistic thought, along with the increased blending other many different religions, Atheism has become more and more popular. Evangelical atheist usually seeks to "convert" borderline theists, often by engaging in debate with fundamentalists.

www.catholicleague.org...

Nevertheless, some of the brightest minds in the English-speaking world right now argue that religion is the problem. And we know they’re the brightest minds because they keep telling us they are. The New Atheists are positively evangelical. They want to make a convert out of you, although if you’re a “dyed-in-the-wool faith-head” they’ll settle for peppering you with insults and sarcasm instead.

What is most worrying is that the New Atheists seem to gain the most followers precisely among the most ambitious and intelligent young people—the people who will be actively shaping government policy in the years to come. Attracted by the intellectual rebelliousness of the movement, young people fall for its insidious message: "Join us and you can be one of the smart people".

What we call the “New Atheism” is a bit different than its predecessor. It’s more aggressive, and it has more power. The leaders of the sect are well placed in the academic world, and they have a strong determination to mold government policy.

And you wouldn’t like the government if the New Atheists molded its policy. Richard Dawkins has asserted that teaching your religion to your child is a form of child abuse and should be criminalized. Other New Atheists have argued that churches should have to post a sign reading “for entertainment purposes only,” since after all they’re no less a fraud than telephone psychics.

The New Atheists see religion as a disease to be exterminated. Their dream, in short, is not a government neutral to religion, but a government actively hostile to religion.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
www.urbandictionary.com...

1. An evangelical atheist

that is one of the funniest terms I have seen in a long time!!

You know, it would probably have been best to ask this type of question especially considering the seriousness of it on a Christian forum. this thread really had some "interesting stuff"!!!! some rather off topic.

[edit on 2/18/2009 by Oolon]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I have not taken the time to read the whole thread,(It's late, will read tomorrow) so forgive me if this has already been posted. I'm not one who knows ALOT of deep stuff in the bible, but doesn't it say SOMEWHERE in KJV bible... "There were giants in those days"???? Where have I heard that? I'm sure it's in the bible...in reference to what I don't know...now I'M curious...someone tell me where to find that in KJV bible? Maybe could point the OP in a direction too. Honest questions deserve honest answers...My 5 year old is starting with the life questions also...fun aren't they??????
Good luck to you!!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Just make up another white lie like; fossils are just sculptures from the Garden of Eden.

If your kids are gullible enough to believe the bible, they will have no trouble believing that whopper without question.

My kids on the other hand are going to MIT to study engineering and molecular biology.

Good luck in deceiving your kin.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Oolon

You know, it would probably have been best to ask this type of question especially considering the seriousness of it on a Christian forum. this thread really had some "interesting stuff"!!!! some rather off topic.

How would that be objective? Especially since many of that crowd parted with reason a long time ago, there will be sparse intellectuals who'll consider the science over a story.

It's about a boy going to a Christian school who's interests and beliefs are mutually exclusive. Something, somewhere needs to be sacrificed. Will it be his belief that it's all literal? If it's not, you'd probably be best to consult a Jew first, seeing as how it's their book.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Also, some of the "giant" stories are probably from the book of enoch.

Here is a link to it.

reluctant-messenger.com...

Here is some background on the book of enoch

And here is some interesting... very interesting reading material, you will spend allot of time reading it but it is interesting to say the least.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Funny how this is growing into a problem when it comes to explaining to the kids. My 13 year old was in on the simular subject, and I said I'm not sure how the dinosaurs died so fast. They have found Dinos with food in theyr mouths, so they froze pretty fast, and others died of asteroid impact, then he said, maby god removed them to put us here since the dinos would have eaten us for sure.
He said that 'mabe god needed us more than them' .. gotta love the kids..

And I have showed him the anunnaki theory spin on this, and he agrees with me that it sounds much more plauseable then god snapping his fingers and making all that you see around you....

- Kids are just so fun ...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

.. gotta love the kids..

- Kids are just so fun ...

To quote Sean Lock:

I hate kids. Everyone has this idea that they're bright but they're not. They're thick as pigsh#, kids...

And their paintings, they're Sh#.

[edit on 19/2/2009 by Good Wolf]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Yes, I see you like kids too.. I figure you have alot of them ..

I saw that Clip from the museum, now, they said earth is 6000 years old, and god created earth in 7 days, and a day in gods viewpoint is 1000 years, we are in the last day then...3600+3600=7200...
Yet about 90% of the bible is unfulfilled prophecy ??..

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

wow...I never had thought of it like that...maybe we're in the 7th day...he's resting. Maybe that's why we haven't seen his arse around here in 2000 years

To Myanus or Myneris or however you say it...( really cant see it that well due to your background color) I must say. I am NOT a Christian, although I used to be. You handled your self fabulously against nj2day. You stuck to you're guns and defended your faith and belief. For you, a believer, there is nothing you should be more proud of.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

The bible in my opinion is a book of fairy tales.

You should encourage your child to think for himself and not be brainwashed like the billions of other drones walking the planet.

ALL the major religions, including Christianity were created to control and manipulate humanity.

Now, ask yourself by who?

Buy and read to him any one of David Icke's books. Another good book, is William Bramley's the Gods of Eden.

The worse possible thing you can do is raise another mindless drone, your son sounds like he is really smart, don't squash his ability to reason.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
That museum video was disgusting. I mean talk about forcing ideals onto children which are just so outlandish. This is exactly how Racists are made, or any other type of person with mentally unsound ideals. It's the adults fault.

Amusingly enough, most of the kids were giving the coreect answers according to evolution when they were asked the first time around. Because to the child it feels right, because it is right. That is why the OP's son is questioning the bible.

But it's only until the two ignorant guys force the "creationist" answer on the kids do they answer that way. How about letting your child think and learn for themselves.

I particularly enjoyed the part in the interview where theyre asked about how many generations of people lived to be 800-1000 years old. Then only after he said 7 then started thingking about the numbers in his head, and well if the earth is only 6000 years old, people should be living to 800-1000 years old today. Then he backpeddled a little.

These two guys are about as shard as marbles. "Whats the "J" word?" Are you kidding me? I feel terrible for these poor children. Hopefully they will be given the chance to think for themselves.

I like the person who posted earliers idea. Give your son both explanations, and let him decide.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join