It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil deGrasse Tyson: The World Will Not End In 2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Nice going

Another joke thread in the UFO forum... way to go

Silly Lemming

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Another joke thread in the UFO forum... way to go

Thanks! I try my best!

One drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the trash that is peddled here on a daily basis.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Originally posted by thegreatobserver
Why should the world end in 2012??

Why, don't you know? That's when the Mayan Calander expires! And we all know what happens when a calander runs out...the world ends! It happens every December 31st!

[edit on 18-2-2009 by SaviorComplex]

Ok.
Well, regarding the Mayan Calendar. It's a 9 cycle calendar that ends on Oct. 28th, 2011. NOT in 2012!
For the rest, funny thread!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

That was an awesome clip! I've always been a fan of Dr. Tyson and Dr. Michio Kaku as well.
They're uber smart scientists, and they have killer wit too.
Thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I'm not going to dive into this argument. All I have to say is:

I love watching Neil deGrasse Tyson. Even if he's talking about stuff I already know, astronomy is always more fun if he's the one explaining it. I wonder if I can get a collection of all the science / discovery / history channel interviews he's done.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar Earth is also predicted to completely stop rotating on its axis for hours or days. This is said to be when the worst of the devastation will occur.

Where would the energy come from to restart rotation?

It just can't stop for a few hours/days and restart. It's not like a washing machine with a on/off switch.

[edit on 19/2/09 by The Asgard]

[edit on 19/2/09 by The Asgard]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
This is why I stick to real conspiracies like what the banks are doing with our money, and when the government is planning to invade another 3rd world nation. It isn't that I don't believe in aliens, indeed, I believe we've been and are being visited, but there's alot of BS out there and alot of these 2012 fantasies are just that, fantasies. Wishful thinking. Another reason to put off todays responsibilities until tomorrow. Any prophecy, as far as I see them, are warnings of how things could turn out if we make bad choices. There's a huge difference with the kinds of prophecies you see in the Bible, for instance, and the prophecies you see on the internet regarding the 2012 end times date. The Bibles' prophesy is structured in such a fashion that you come away thinking that you just received a warning. And internet "Prophesy" tells you that something will happen on a certain date, "read book by *insert author here*", and it is filled with nonsensical ideas that assume to be true and have some sort of crystallization event where everyone suddenly realizes something. Everything is written in absolutes, and there is NO room for argument.

They always frame them in "warning" when "warnings" usually signify a solution, though none are ever provided. Unless you buy the book, or read the web page to be "woken up"...And you're out $29.95

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Bah, why is the possibility of Nibiru dismissed by today's public/ senior astronomers?

Because there is no evidence for it whatsoever. None.

And don't trot out the tried "There are Sumerian records!" or whatever nonsense you want to spew. There isn't.

Brown dwarfs with their own orbiting planetoids in a mini-solar system circling a host star every few years/ millenniums DO exist in other solar systems.

Which system?

We allegedly have such an solar system with a brown dwarf that nears and passes us every 3600 years, that goes through the Mars-Jupiter or the beyond-Pluto asteroid belt and possibly brings with it asteroid rocks that might start smashing into Earth.

You are confusing a real hypothesis with Sitchin's nonsense.

It is hypothesized that our Sun may have a red dwarf companion. But it orbits at a distance of between 50,000 to 100,000 AU from the Sun. Periodically (an average of 26 million years, not 3600 years), Nemesis may disturb the Oort Cloud sending comets and asteroids into the inner Solar System.

In the predicted scenario, Earth will survive but to what degree is unknown. Earth is also predicted to completely stop rotating on its axis for hours or days. This is said to be when the worst of the devastation will occur...Not saying it will happen- but in the meantime, just learn how to grow fruits and vegetables and appreciate exotic foods that grow beneath your feet and you will probably be fine.

I wouldn't bother wasting your time learning how to grow fruits and vegetables if you believe that nonsense. If the Earth's rotation stops you will die. There is no way around it, you will be dead. It is impossible to escape. The Earth is rotating at just over 1000 mph, that means you are also moving at 1000 mph. If the Earth's rotation were to stop, you would be flung into the atmosphere or any nearby object that managed to hold firm at 1000 miles per hour. It would not matter where you were, or what you had strapped yourself in to. You will die.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

It rather begs the question of what force in the Universe could stop the rotation of an orbiting, planetary mass dead?!

Answers on a postcard to the Disney Club

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow... let us deny ignorance together, SaviorComplex.

Did you even click on my link to theosophy.org... ? Why don't you let Theosophy tell you what Theosophy is...

"Theosophia: Wisdom-religion, or 'Divine Wisdom'. The substratum and basis of all the world-religions and philosophies, taught and practised since man became a thinking being. In its practical bearing, Theosophy is purely divine ethics." - from The Theosophical Glossary, by H. P. Blavatsky, 1892

"Religious doctrine gives a theory which conflicts with reason and fact, while science can give for the facts no reason which is in any way noble or elevating. Theosophy alone, inclusive of all systems and every experience, gives the key, the plan, the doctrine, the truth." - from The Ocean of Theosophy, by William Q. Judge, 1893

Three chief objects:
1. Brotherhood of man, without distinction of race, colour, religion, or social position
2. The serious study of the ancient world-religions for purposes of comparison and the selection therefrom of universal ethics
3. The study and development of the latent divine powers in man
- from The Key to Theosophy, by H. P. Blavatsky, 1889

all quotes from home page of here: theosophy.org...

You are engaging in what the educated world likes to call a 'logical fallacy' in this comment:

'So, since you are such a fan of Theosophy, I guess you believe that the Semitic people are a degenerated race descended from Aryans. And that certain other races are now "semi-animal."

Way to go, Theosophy!'

This is a slippery slope, huh? As soon as someone mentions Theosophy, they are anti-Semitic. We all know that Marijuana users will shortly become Heroin abusers, right?

Where is the logic...

Theosophy tries to keep an open mind when finding answers, and they will not shy away from possible truths just because they might be politically incorrect.

Did you ever think that maybe there is something scientific that would distinguish an Aryan race?

I will never be Anti-Semitic and shame on you for suggesting it.

Another point... what do you mean by other races being 'semi-animal'? What would the other half be, if it wasn't animal? Aren't you an animal? I am an animal... I guess I am just generally appalled and confused by this comment.

I can't help but think that you, despite being on these forums, have been ignorant in assessing my comments, and Theosophy as a discipline.

Sorry to be off topic, but I had to say something.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join