It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil deGrasse Tyson: The World Will Not End In 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
In this fun clip, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson mocks 2012 hysterics:

[edit on 18-2-2009 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Aha. Okay. Alright.

Niburu mentioned...yeah, I know that there is most likely no such thing. Even though I keep hearing otherwise. Fine.

Planet X? Always had a hard time getting what that was about anyhow. If they are not one and the same, I still don't bother about that. Any such object will be visible by amateur astronomers, or NASA (if they would spill it) long before it is here.

Aliens and "Independence Day" types of scenarios... Well, being a romantic, I always like to think in those terms, but it is near impossible to do any serious calculations of such an event. I think we can disregard that, at least until furthur notice, so to speak.

But what about the spiritual approach?
Not very surprising that a scientist doesn't think in those terms. He made his choice of path, and unluckily, those two viewpoints are on eternal collision course.

What about the Mayan Calendar then? It has been correct so far. Works absoultely fine fore me, both in shord, medium and long terms.

It is good, however, to calm the situation, weed out the helpless hysterics who don't get the concepts straight.

As I keep saying; the events of 2012 does not scare me. Quite the contrary. They are all parts of a cosmic plan set up for us, something that mankind for once can't interfere with ( and screw up). That's very comforting to think of.
What scares me is what peoples minds will do once things start to turn "strange", and how people who think "the world is ending" will react.
Gotta get out of town before 28th of October 2011...

Funny guy though. Still, his horizons are as broad as the distance between his eyes.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I like Tyson, he's a very intelligent and funny man.

I have one question though, why is this in the UFO & Aliens forum? Shouldn't it be in the 2012 forum?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Yes he is a very funny and intelligent man, but it's also pretty obvious that his research into the 2012 subject amounts to skimming the top 5 sites of a Google search and watching a trailer on Youtube. (The unofficial one it seems. the real one doesn't have aliens...)

On a side note, I'm constantly amazed at what a great straw-man argument Niburu is for 2012.
It makes the whole subject easily dismissible & subject to ridicule. And it spreads fear, doom & gloom like no other conspiracy topic...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud

It seems as though you are taking a spaghetti-against-a-wall approach to 2012, you're coming up with anything and everything you can think of to somehow give it some meaning.

Originally posted by converge
I have one question though, why is this in the UFO & Aliens forum? Shouldn't it be in the 2012 forum?

Maybe; but since so many 2012 threads pop up in here, I figured I would post an alternative viewpoint as well.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

It seems as though you are taking a spaghetti-against-a-wall approach to 2012, you're coming up with anything and everything you can think of to somehow give it some meaning.

It seems as though you're taking a blind debunking approach to 2012, you're blindly dismissing anything and everything that you come across in order to somehow deny it's significance.

Wow, that was really easy! must use that one some more

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrVertigo
It seems as though you're taking a blind debunking approach to 2012, you're blindly dismissing anything and everything that you come across in order to somehow deny it's significance.

It is quite simple, really, because there is nothing to these ridiculous 2012 prediction other than it being the end of a calander; no more significant than December 31st.

When you rely on the spiritual you are relying on something that is ultimately unverifiable by it's very nature. After 2012 passes, anyone can say anything about the "spiritual" changes, but nothing that can be proven.

You bash Tyson, calling him shortsighted and ignorant, but why would he comment on the spiritual? He's a scientist, and astrophysicist; his realm is the material.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bah, why is the possibility of Nibiru dismissed by today's public/ senior astronomers?

Brown dwarfs with their own orbiting planetoids in a mini-solar system circling a host star every few years/ millenniums DO exist in other solar systems.

We allegedly have such an solar system with a brown dwarf that nears and passes us every 3600 years, that goes through the Mars-Jupiter or the beyond-Pluto asteroid belt and possibly brings with it asteroid rocks that might start smashing into Earth.

Humans have existed on this Earth for much, much longer than 3600 years but have gone through the trials and tribulations of floods or earthquakes or even volcanoes aggravated by the gravity surges, created by a nearing Brown Dwarf or similar failed star big enough to possibly retain a few planets or moons (and any bring along) in its own mini-system during its 3600 year orbit.

In the predicted scenario, Earth will survive but to what degree is unknown. Earth is also predicted to completely stop rotating on its axis for hours or days. This is said to be when the worst of the devastation will occur.

A lot of people might die from floods or earthquakes or ignorance (don't know how to get or grow food) or all we will lose are our trust in the government or media or current way of life when we realize we've been lied to.

No more banks, no more Paris Hilton, no more NWO, even though them and their families would have survived comfortably having built grand bomb shelters on safe high ground properties, on taxpayer's expense.

What an ultimate, final insult to people. We take your cake on a plate, eat it, and then smash the plate on your face and then make you clean it up.

He is right, the World will not end in 2012 but it might change... and the changes could be extreme.

What's a given is that we will have enough advance warning- that we can plainly see ourselves- IE: There is a new star that shines during the day.

It's predicted floods will cause the most damage and since many cities are along low laying or coastal areas... You do the loss-of-life math but I'm just a guy behind a keyboard, good luck finding a public scientist that will admit that such a thing could happen.

'Everybody. Nibiru is coming this way and we're pretty much screwed- but Still! Go to your jobs, go to your school to learn about marketing or psychology or accounting or some other worthless skill, bend to your boss, pay your taxes and mortgages, don't learn how to grow a vegetable garden or take care of your own injuries...'

Great way to create panic- telling people that a freaking brown dwarf with its own planets and some asteroid belt attractants is heading straight for us, hah.

Not saying it will happen- but in the meantime, just learn how to grow fruits and vegetables and appreciate exotic foods that grow beneath your feet and you will probably be fine.

We will have advance warning and the gradual changes will likely give people enough notice that catastrophic events will occur.

The media and talking head astronomers will be the LAST option for notice.

The media will not be forced to explain any events until you can see the flipping Nibiru in the daytime with its planets roaring around it and the day night cycle starts to slow down or freeze completely.

I would love to have their explanations then.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Yes yes, unverifiable is a nasty word isn't it? I suggest you say 'there is no way to falsify the spiritual aspects' instead, because for people that understand the spiritual side it seems shallow of you to say it is 'unverifiable.'

I would also like to suggest to you that, in your journey of falsifying these spiritual beliefs, you not overlook the thousands of works of literature on the subject.

Theosophy is a good starting point for anyone, but be careful, as you may not be able to 'verify' the knowledge contained in the science with any of your mainstream scientists.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

My point wasn't to prove anything about 2012. Rather it was a demonstration of your line of arguing. Accusing someone of desperately believing in anything to attach meaning to 2012, is not only extremely rude, but very ignorant considering you know nothing of the beliefs and background of "Raud"

You're making a whole bunch of assumptions based on nothing, and then you use these assumptions to wholly dismiss that persons arguments beforehand, and that honestly irked me.

And I'm not Bashing Tyson. I agreed that he is funny and intelligent. I merely stated the obvious: That the man has done very little research on 2012.
Which I'm sure he would admit to himself, I mean he even botched the name "Niburu"

[edit on 18-2-2009 by MrVertigo]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

"Seems" is the correct term in this case, yes.

But really, no.
I know what I am up to. Seems like you are taking another path, but that is OK. Not my worry. Good luck with that.

And also yes, he is taking the scientific approach. Material is his realm. He is free to do so.
I am taking the spiritual one. Spirituality is my realm.
That's that.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
...besides

"...there is nothing to these ridiculous 2012 prediction..."

"...ultimately unverifiable by it's very nature. After 2012 passes, anyone can say anything about the "spiritual" changes, but nothing that can be proven.

...those quotes show what material you are made of.

I understand and respect your standpoint, but you must know that I am the ultimate opposite. Even so, I would never argue against you using such terms.

But hey, I am flame retardant!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I believe Nibiru will be shown to have no significance beyond the social psychology aspects that are manifest. One day it will feature in some psychologist/sociologist or Post-Modernist literature thesis. The literature will be bereft of contemporary participants due to embarrassed amnesia

I just wanted to suggest this video of Tyson on Intelligent Design. He isn't the most collected speaker and gives the impression of 'winging it' sometimes. Nevertheless, I like his talks and he brings humor and fun to the subject that Dawkins must dream of...

Enthusiasm makes him interesting even if people disagree with the content

WTF?! Edited for linking dulll Dawkins by mistake.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by beebs
Yes yes, unverifiable is a nasty word isn't it? I suggest you say 'there is no way to falsify the spiritual aspects' instead, because for people that understand the spiritual side it seems shallow of you to say it is 'unverifiable.'

I'll stick to unverifiable, because that is what it is. I could care less if someone finds it "shallow."

...not overlook the thousands of works of literature on the subject.

Oh my...well, if it's in a book, then it must be true!

An falsehood is still a falsehood no matter how many times it is repeated.

And Theosophy is not a science...it's a religious philosophy. Canyons of difference.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

[I mean he even botched the name "Niburu"
[edit on 18-2-2009 by MrVertigo]

If I know about a certain subject, I will not screw up just saying the word.
Astrophysics and Scientists who study and know their stuff, they KNOW THEIR STUFF. They don't mispronounce words, especially simple ones.
This guy is just going by what is being carried in the waves. I don't think he did enough research into Nibiru, and if he did, I don't think we would tell us anyway. That would mean he would lose everything he has.
I say we just wait until mid April of this year. If nothing comes, then nothing comes.
By the way, the bright star we are seing is indeed Venus. I thought it was something too, but I did my homework. I saw something else suspect (red, blue white), but it was just Sirius at the horizon.
Venus is supposed to hit it's peak of brightness any day now, thus slowly decreasing in brightness. If something pops up in April, then we start talking

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
SC: If you stick to unverifiable, I guess that is your right. However, I think the term is abused.

The definition of verify: to establish the truth, accuracy, or reality of
www.merriam-webster.com...

Have you verified the atom model? Have you verified the way we classify stars in the sky? Have you verified the theory of gravity? I could verify them right now, but that doesn't mean they are correct.

If someone says they just jumped over a ten-foot wall on one foot, can you verify that? Can they prove it to you without doing it again? Is it unverifiable? Probably, because so many things are.

It is much more effective to falsify the claim, proving the individual can not possibly jump over the wall because of his lack of muscles that could defy gravity so much.

What do you do when he jumps over the wall again? Is that unverifiable? If you witness it, are you verifying the impossible?

Now on to your second statement...I am not sure when I implied that books=truth...

I was just trying to get you to open your mind...

The amount of literature on these subjects is more than enough for you to either verify your opinions, or falsify the spiritual aspects. Attack them from the inside if you are so sure there is nothing to the ideas...

A falsehood is a falsehood. You are correct. Can you please point me to the list of 'falsehoods'? There must be a compilation of humanity's falsehoods for you to be so sure that spiritual aspects are falsehoods. Sounds to me like in order for something to be a falsehood, it would need to be Falsified.

Just because it is the mainstream, doesn't mean it is the truth, you should know that...

Your last point is most valid. I am sorry I referred to Theosophy as science, although I am not sure if science can compete with the ethics and answers Theosophy proposes.

Maybe science is lacking what Theosophy has.
theosophy.org...

[edit on 18-2-2009 by beebs]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

If I know about a certain subject, I will not screw up just saying the word. Astrophysics and Scientists who study and know their stuff, they KNOW THEIR STUFF. They don't mispronounce words, especially simple ones. This guy is just going by what is being carried in the waves. I don't think he did enough research into Nibiru, and if he did, I don't think we would tell us anyway. That would mean he would lose everything he has.

When Tyson mispronounces Nibiru as Numbura, it seems pretty clear that he's doing so for comic effect. The audience laughs because they are in on the joke.

Regarding research on Nibiru, have you had a look at different explanations? Another opportunity to read a different perspective is here.

Unlike SC, I've no intention of starting a debate about this with you. I post these two links to offer more depth to your ideas regarding Nibiru.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Have you verified the atom model? Have you verified the way we classify stars in the sky...

Let me sum up...rhetorical and semantic nonsense.

Maybe science is lacking what Theosophy has.
theosophy.org...

So, since you are such a fan of Theosophy, I guess you believe that the Semitic people are a degenerated race descended from Aryans. And that certain other races are now "semi-animal."

Way to go, Theosophy!

[edit on 18-2-2009 by beebs]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Why should the world end in 2012??

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver
Why should the world end in 2012??

Why, don't you know? That's when the Mayan Calander expires! And we all know what happens when a calander runs out...the world ends! It happens every December 31st!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join