It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Prepare

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I will recommend a few books:

1. The Foxfire Series

2. " The Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House Book" by Mike Oehler

3. "Live Off the Land In the City or Country' by Ragnar Benson

4. "Ditch Medicine"

These books will get you started. Tom Brown's books are a decent source but he tends to get preachy and will drift away from some of the key points. There are a number of good posts in the survival forum. Ultimately you will have to decide what is best for you and yours. There is already a debate here about bugging out or bugging in. Learn what you can as quickly as possible and practice, practice, practice. Don't ever become a refugee. There are alot of other things, but you need to search for yourself and find them. It will be one of your first lessons in survival, to do it yourself and not wait for others to tell you what to do. There are also a good many survival forums out there. Oh and start now tomorrow may be too late.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It's great that you've already formulated a tentative plan, so you're already ahead of the curve! Now you just need to sit down and work out a few details like starting a food cache, purchasing needed equipment, and acquiring a few basic survival skills.

My guess would be an economic collapse, martial law, or possibly both. The location you've chosen sounds good, but how many other people are aware of it? Have you done any recon on the site lately? It'd be a shame to get there and find a dozen people there already.

Your preps don't have to all be done all at once. Start small by buying the most essential first, and slowly add to them as you have the funds to do so.

Ten dollars a week for your food cache will go a long way in a year's time. Pick items your family will actually eat, that are easily prepared, and use a minimum of water. Purchase some vitamins to supplement your family's nutritional requirements.

Buy a Back pack for every member of your family, and fill them with necessary items like food (stripped down MREs), a method to start a fire (Firesteel, matches, Bic lighter, etc), a means to purify water (Katydyn filter, purification tablets,etc), a wool or space blanket for warmth, a change of clothes, a good knife such as a Victorinox Swiss Army, a compass, a couple of light sources (flashlights, cyalume sticks, headlamp, etc), a mess kit,personal hygiene items (TP, feminine hygiene, toothbrush, soap, comb), a first aid kit, some form of communication (walkie talkies, a crank radio, etc.), maps of your area, a length of paracord 50'), a tube tent or tarp for shelter, a few contractor garbage bags, protection in whatever form you choose, some cash or barterable items, ad infinitum. The list could go on and on, so you need to decide what's applicable to your situational needs.

Most of all practice new skills and test out all your gear before you ever need it. As GI Joe often says: "Knowing is half the battle.."

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I would store lots of food, atleast 3 months supply, weapons,ammo,clothes,firstaid products,grab your bob and stay calm.

Prepare before any declaration of martial law by becoming self reliant. You may become subject to a bureaucratic system and be prepared to stay one step ahead of it which is easy to do if you are prepared and in a position to be self reliant. You may also face mob rule, chaos, panic, or a complete breakdown in law and order. Surival situations may be easier to handle in rural areas than urban.

Avoid areas of marital law. Can be imposed due to natural disasters or man caused events. Important to have a retreat or place in a rural area away from populated areas.

Create alliances with like minded neighbors or community members that share your views. Team work and numbers may help your situation.

Become transparent in the sense that you do not draw attention to yourself or your family. For instance, do not tell people that you are storing food just store food. Be prepared to render assistance to neighbors if need be. You never know when you will need them.

Remain calm! Do not panic.

Avoid areas of civil unrest if possible. If caught in civil unrest take appropriate action.

Get informed and stay informed. Understand martial law can be a temporary crisis or an extended one. In extreme cases the shape of a whole nation can change.

Declaration of martial law means your rights are suspended and it is government by decree. Your constitutional rights may no longer apply. This could mean a state of National Emergency.

People can be arrested and imprisoned indefinitely without charges.

Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly can be suspended, and censorship of the media imposed.

Gun ownership will also come under severe attack during marital law. We could see house to house searches by the military or National Guard looking for guns and seizing any they find along with stored food.

Take a stand on issues and make a choice that fits your beliefs and the situation. Do you believe as Patrick Henry, "Give me liberty or give me death?" Realize you may have some hard choices to make. Understand you may have to sacrifice your principles on trivial matters or take a hard stand. Always remember that you may have to come back and fight another day.

Basic essential tools for BOB’s

This list does not include weaponry, clothing, food, footwear, tentage, etc
It is ONLY the basic ESSENTIAL tools required to start building a Bug Out Bag with.
1. Fixed Blade Knife
2. Folding Blade Knife
3. Knife Sharpener and silicone oil
4. Folding Woodsaw
5. Secatuers or Pruning Shears
6. Compass in mils and degrees
7. Maps with bug out routes marked out
8. Binoculars (possibly a camera as well)
9. AM/FM/ Radio (spare batteries if required)
10. LED Flashlights (spare batteries if required)
11. Analogue Watch (solar or self winder)
12. Eye protection ( Shades, Prescription glasses etc)
13. Multi Tool
14. K.F.S or Spork
15. Tin opener / Bottle opener
16. Water Bottle and Mug
17. Water Filter and Water Purification tablets
18. First Aid Kit plus Prescription Medicines
19. Survival Guide, Notebook and Pen and Sharpie type marker
20. Mini Cooker and Spare Fuel
21. Cook pots, Mess Tins and washing up kit
22. Climbing Rope, Paracord, Cable Ties and Duct Tape
23. Storm Proof Lighter , Spare Fuel, Matches, Flint & Steel
24. Chemical Light Sticks/Candles( in a mini lantern to keep them safely in)
25. Personal hygiene kit ( soap, deodorant, toothbrush, razor, towel etc
26. 2 way radios plus spare batteries / Solar power recharger
27. Sleeping Bag and Liner / campamat/ groundsheet.
28. Disposable Dust masks/ Bandana
29. Rubbish Bags and Cleaning Cloths
30. Babywipes ( better than toilet paper and more useful)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bamaoutlaw

Gee I feel really underprepared now. I have been doing this a long long time and all that is really not necessary. I always carry a top quality folder, multi-tool, fire starter. In a small bag I also carry a sil-nylon tarp, cup, fixed blade knife , garbage bags, snare wire, first aid kit, and a marlin papoose rifle with about twenty five rounds of ammo. I am gone for up to a week at a time with this little bit of kit and get along well. It really boils down to what you know and how well you can apply it. I live in the midwest, water is poor but readily available, food is plentiful most times, shelter is easily made. Learn good skills and you will make it. Depend on things and you won't. This isn't realy a slam just experience from one that goes there and does that.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bamaoutlaw
Avoid areas of marital law.

Yup, I can speak from experience on that one.

Comedy over. The bug out list is well established and tweakable if you desire.

I concur with bamaoutlaw's prior statements.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
All of you have provided outstanding input, information, and ideas. I really appreciate it. You guys should get together and write a book. The ATS SHTF Survival & Preparation Book.

Thanks much!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ
All of you have provided outstanding input, information, and ideas. I really appreciate it. You guys should get together and write a book. The ATS SHTF Survival & Preparation Book.

Thanks much!
That would be a cool addition to the forum. Getting people to collaborate on the project is the tough part! I'd love to do something like that if anyone else is game! I tried once, but only got two replies though to my request.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Problem with books is the sheer weight and volume of whatever you're taking.

My SAS handbook (for me) is essential. It is quite heavy and takes up room though. I'd love to help you collate the info, but what then?

Can we construct it to be radically different to everything already out there? How useful would it be to those like myself, who would certainly have to keep hard copy?

Not shooting it down, just looking at practicalities.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
Problem with books is the sheer weight and volume of whatever you're taking.

My SAS handbook (for me) is essential. It is quite heavy and takes up room though. I'd love to help you collate the info, but what then?

Can we construct it to be radically different to everything already out there? How useful would it be to those like myself, who would certainly have to keep hard copy?

Not shooting it down, just looking at practicalities.

I was thinking more of something along the lines of a pocket guide with very brief directions with a few illustrations. I'm not talking about a comprehensive work on survival, just a small, fact filled reference book that's easy to follow.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SailorinAZ

get a copy of the sas survival handbook by lofty wiseman. its available from bookshops. what it doesnt tell you isnt worth knowing
good luck

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

sorry it comes in near a4 size or u can get a pocket size version.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
That's the million dollar question isn't it! The hardest part about picking a way to survive is to start. The rest falls into place (with the help of those more knowledgable).

Congrats! you have already started your journey and judging by the feedback here, you are well informed.

I try and have at least two to three plans in place if TSHTF. I am a bit anal I'm sure but hey..... I like breathing.

It looks as though the largest risks in the coming years will be social disorder, chemical or bio attacks/outbreaks. But there are so many more that can happen. These two seem to be the highest to me if you look at the coming of 2021 and how nervous people are about it and just by looking at the germs, viruses and weapons on this earth right now they pose a continious threat.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I'd be interested in getting involved in putting something together, even if if it helps alleviate some of the "What should be in my BOB" posts. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic to see so many interested, but there is so much info in previous posts, well, you know.

On another note, 2 months ago i decided that an addition to my and my wife's BOB would be jump drives. They cost between $15-$25 for a 2gig,
weigh like 1/3 oz. and store huge amounts of info. They can be encrypted, at least enough to stop most from decoding. Manuals, important docs. etc.
Being a father and hubby, I might even have a few photos that I would hate to lose.

Any ideas on the form that this manual would take?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I live in the American South West. I would like to prepare for when the SHTF. I have a Wife, 2 little kids, and a dog. I have some survival knowledge and have spent quite a bit of time outdoors. I don’t want to give out to much information about myself but I have also been very well trained in the use of firearms and some non-lethal weapons. I have a 4X4 and know of a place that is very secluded where there is water flowing year round. I know of three separate routes to reach this location, one being completely off road. Winter temps in this location drop below freezing and it does ice over/snow.

My questions are:

What is the most likely SHTF situation to occur within in the next decade?

Economic collapse, Genetically Modified food problems, martial law,
and shift to North American Union and the Amero.

If these above happen which is very likely then we might also
see civil war here in the US, and another country may take
advantage of that situation.

Also war between Israel and one of its neighbors is also a possibility,
and it is likely we would get involved and it could lead to WW3.

What can I do to best prepare based on where I live, having a family, and this most likely situation?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

A good bugout bag like one other poster mentioned is essential,
the contents vary from person to person.

Cpl of weird items I got is a bug suit that is camo for my area,
and a gas mask.

If there are dead the bug will be feeding on them and then land on you.

Even after the initial 14 days after a nuke, the alpha and beta
particles are harmful to breath for 28 years.

Not a pleasant proposal.

How likely is it your bugout location will be swamped by tons of
other ppl that know of the spot ?

If it is too appealing and well known it will likely have some other
ppl showing up and some of them may not be nice once the food
runs out.

Try to find a spot that looks like it gets ZERO visitors, and has
a water source nearby that is within reason, or the water table
is close to the surface there.

If you have a fire the smoke will be seen from the distance,
and you will get "visitors".

To keep from freezing to death and draw no attention consider
making a shelter based on one of Mike Oehler underground
home designs, google him he comes right up.

For protein consder Giant Golden amaranth seeds, it is one of the
few complete plant proteins and grows like a weed,
almost a pound of seed per plant, and sprouting the seeds
gets you ten times the food value in just a few days.

In fact palmer's variety of Amaranth is almost immune to round up.

Check out places like Survival Blog, get a copy of the SAS survival
handbook, and read it a few times.

Also try to put your place under evergreen foliage if you can,
it provides cover year round.

The basics are Shelter, Water, Food, Defense.

Use stainless steel, it will keep items from rusting.

Look for long term permanent solutions like herbal medicine, etc etc.

Try to think total self reliance and stealth.

Do not park your 4x4 close to the retreat and try to walk
different paths in and get to know all th nearby terrain like
it was the back of your hand.

Check out KI4U.com for concerns with fallout.

You do not have to buy expensive gear all the time, most things
can be done very affordably.

You might consider not getting a semi-auto weapon as the
assault ban is likely coming back soon worse than it was in the past.

I use pump and bolt action weapons.

Get 50 caliber ammo cans from surplus places, and check the
rubber seal is good and not rock hard, SAW ammo cans work too.

Toss in some dessicant and it will keep your ammo good a long time.

Get some food grade water barrels from a nearby mill or other
large water storage cistern method, etc etc.

If you berm earth around it, it will take a lot longer to freeze or
not at all if you berm enough earth around it.

If you need to cook consider a Solar Oven in lieu of fire, fire
can attract unwanted attention and can catch pine needles on fire
with some cinders popping and shooting out of your campfire.

Trapping game is illegal for a reason, it works too well.

Get some snare wire for small game, and learn to make the
easy traps in the SAS survival handbook.

Use special forces caching techniques for long shelf life food, and
use dry ice to push the air out of it, and store underground for
longer shelf life. Also cache any and all items you might need,
and do not put all your cache in one spot and try to make them
spots that are not well viewed 360 degrees and not travelled at all.

Survival Acres has good shelf life info on their website, google them.

Get a good pack of heirloom seeds of what foods you like.

Get or make a few good weapons that do not require you to
use your ammo for ur rifles, like a bow or crossbow.

Also if you can try to get one or a few other families you trust
with your life to go with you.

Ppl get sick, ppl get hurt, standing watch 24 x 7 x 365 with one
family tends to put morale in the toilet.

Evaluate members and do not try to push them into things
they cannot or will not do, then plan accordingly.

Practice with your weapons and with your survival skills,
plan a camping or hunting trip.

Get a few handcrank flashlights and emergency band radios.

Thick trash bags make great rain ponchos and layers of them
stuffed with leaves will keep you warm.

Rose hips are a good source of vitamin C, and look for other
items for other vitamins via google and elsehwere.

Get a list of edibl plants in N. America, but be very careful with
it some good and bad look very much alike.

Read all the info you can, and have hardcopy of vital info stored
in dbl ziplock bag and stuffed in one of those 50 caliber ammo cans.

Good Luck !

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_D1021
I'm no expert but I think that having the basics such as enough Food, Water, Fire making material should be in everyones interest. I think water purification tablets, seeds to grow fruits and vegetables, hunting equipment are also good things to have stockpiled. (enough for a year at least).

An alternative to water purification tablets is the SODIS method.

SODIS water purification

Pre-filter thru a slow sand filter if you can or many layers of cotton.

Seeds are a good point, just make sure and get heirloom seeds
and not the damn evil terminator gene seeds.

Terminator Gene Technology by Monsanto

It makes me wonder of the timing of them building the Doomsday
seed vault in Svalbard Norway.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
What is the most likely event in the next decade that you will have to prepare for?

Well, if the theories are to be believed...

At some point in the near future, you will be faced with:

Economic collapse, as TPTB engineer a financial disaster that will destroy the middle class and leave everyone broke and dependent on their "Verichip" technology for any and all transactions. If history is an indicator, they'll take your gold, too. So you'll have to prepare for being completely and utterly moneyless, and will need something to trade for goods you don't have and can' produce yourself. Consider things that will be valuable in SitX that are easy to get now, and become proficient in providing those things. Tobacco or alcohol production, for example... I'll be bringing that up again later.

Meanwhile, your troubles will be compounded by global famine as TPTB work to take over the world's food supply and burn it in your car's engine. This food will be replaced by corporation-grown foods that are genetically modified and laced with poisonous chemicals. You'll have two options for food: Buy their crap, or produce your own. Farms can be seen from the air though, and they'll probably be looking for them. You might be better off looking into high-density gardens and greenhouses.

As this is going on, you may also notice a shortage of energy. As TPTB intentionally burn up our fossil fuels, we'll probably notice that the ultra-wealthy still have their V-12 engined cars because $20 dollars per gallon at 6 miles per gallon is well within their budget. So you'll need transportation that doesn't depend on oil, and a renewable, off-grid energy source for your home. Wind and solar power are obvious solutions, but it's not very discreet to have a panel-covered roof and a huge windmill in your yard. Microhydropower, maybe? And possibly a wood or coal stove for heat and cooking?

Of course, without transportation, those of us who are left to live will be expected to live in work camps, possibly the "Rex 84" camps we hear so much about, which will have trains to take us to the jobs TPTB will assign to us. You'll need to prepare yourself to find a way to stay out of that mess altogether. The only way I can see that happening is if you've managed to create a lifestyle in which you work for yourself instead of for an external employer.

Supposedly, taking any kind of public transportation, or crossing state borders, will require a special permit to do so. And again, supposedly, that permit will be tied into your Verichip, which you definitely will want to avoid getting. So plan for doing very little travel. What you can't create for yourself will require you to have the "hook up" from a local source. Keep your family close.

While you're busy preparing for having absolutely no food, energy, or money available, you'll have to keep in mind that many people will not be prepared. They will want what you have, so it will be important to prepare a way to defend against that problem. Obviously, guns and the ability to use them are what I'm talking about.

Defense itself might be difficult, because the current primary goal seems to be taking away your guns. You'll want to prepare to have access to guns that they don't know about, or have some other way of defending yourself. I'd recommend buying some guns and ammunition with cash, at a gun show or from a private seller, so you don't leave a paper trail. Hurry before they close that one on you.

Of course, not everybody will want your stuff. TPTB already technically own your stuff. They'll be wanting you. They'll want you either as a slave, or a corpse. So another big part of your planning will be finding a way to fly under their radar. Good luck, because their eyes are everywhere and soon their eyes will be everywhere-and-a-half. The weakness there will be in exploiting the human link, because the technology end of things is cold and merciless. Once again, this is where the ability to produce things like cigs and booze could come in handy. Bribing the people who are looking for you might be a valuable strategy.

And then there's the biological warfare. You'll definitely want to be prepared for that. I doubt that anyone's plan is to just release deadly diseases into the air (although you never know.) More likely, you'll be dealing with passive biowarfare: attacking your ability to not get sick, rather than actively making you sick. Without your little Verichip, you might find it difficult to get medical attention or buy drugs. You'll want to practice excellent hygiene and balance your diet to reduce your chances of getting sick by as much as possible. But... keep properly fitting gas masks on hand just in case.

I'm sure there's more, but it's late, I'm tired, and I have to get up soon for a job that I don't want and can barely still do, but I can't afford to quit and I'm not really ambitious enough to do anything else.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Oh, wait. There is one other thing I wanted to address.

Natural Disasters, the "Other Situation X."

It boils down to this: Go somewhere that's solidly built and on a high enough elevation that it won't flood easily. Remember that a stream you can jump over today could be a river tomorrow under the wrong conditions, and remember that attaching your house to its foundation is the biggest thing you can do to protect against earthquakes and wind damage.

Sadly, if a natural disaster is big enough to be considered a "Situation X," you are at a point where you are literally trying to defend your life against the onslaught of the planet itself. The planet is a big huge chunk of rock and iron, energized by an entire star, and full of liquid hot magma. If it's creating a global cataclysm your best defense is to just make your peace and hope for the best.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

reply to post by dalan.

Not a bad idea, but I think I would like to stick to family only in a survival situation. Probably a bad idea, but I am just to paranoid about other people.

Exactly.

We are all too paranoid about one another, and in all honesty we shouldn't be. The outcome of the future is our choice, the happiness of our lives is our responsibility. We do not have the need to just "survive" if we realize that our true "survival" is dependent upon us working together for everyone and not just a few.

"The future is our responsibility; if we fail to accept this responsibility, others will do our thinking for us."
-The Venus Project

[edit on 2/18/2009 by dalan.]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor1

What you want Sailor is 'Potassium Chorate' ( not potassium nitrate. . . it has 3 time the oxygenation valve )

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

The one thing you 'Didn't' mention about your evac point. . . is it defenceable ?, you may not be the only one who knows this place. I don't think you would like anyone showing up 'At Your Door' so to speak.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join