It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Look At Facebook's Disturbing New Terms Of Service

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is just straight up scary for any facebook user

Facebook's terms of service (TOS) used to say that when you closed an account on their network, any rights they claimed to the original content you uploaded would expire. Not anymore.

Now, anything you upload to Facebook can be used by Facebook in any way they deem fit, forever, no matter what you do later. Want to close your account? Good for you, but Facebook still has the right to do whatever it wants with your old content. They can even sublicense it if they want.

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof.

That language is the same as in the old TOS, but there was an important couple of lines at the end of that section that have been removed:

You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content.

Furthermore, the "Termination" section near the end of the TOs states:

The following sections will survive any termination of your use of the Facebook Service: Prohibited Conduct, User Content, Your Privacy Practices, Gift Credits, Ownership; Proprietary Rights, Licenses, Submissions, User Disputes; Complaints, Indemnity, General Disclaimers, Limitation on Liability, Termination and Changes to the Facebook Service, Arbitration, Governing Law; Venue and Jurisdiction and Other.

Make sure you never upload anything you don't feel comfortable giving away forever, because it's Facebook's now.

Full Article Here

These are some crazy terms and conditions ... i don't really know what to do with my facebook ... i mean even if someone post's something on my wall i'll probably still be held accountable since it was my facebook ... i don't know what to think ... what do you think?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think I'm glad I've never uploaded anything onto facebook.
Only a profile pic or two...

No videos, no writings at all..... nothing really.

It's like most sites though... they own your stuff once you post it there.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That's why I never registered to FaceBook in the first place.

I've tried to warn others about this, but they seem intent on doing what's cool and social, rather than taking the time to actually read FaceBook's terms.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the same apply to ATS as well? .. if I suddenly decide to call it quits here, can't I ask the staff to remove all content posted by me? .. as far as I know, ATS also own the exclusive rights to all your content you post here.

Google are also starting to come up with some strange stuff as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yep me either.
Ive never used face book.
Its always been a scam like myspace and the rest of the junk.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It's why I never joined facebook and never will. You're profiling yourself and everyone you have contact with.

ATS does keep all your posts eternally. I recall a member asking to leave and have her posts removed, but it's not possible as it would compromise the flow of discussion. I wish we could edit our posts on here for a longer window of time. A week would be nice, forever would be even better.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This sounds fraudulent in its face value and probably won't hold up in court but I think they may be doing it for three reasons. Number 1: free content without having to pay subcontractors. Number 2: to embarass certain posters who are putting inappropriate content on the site (face it, those drunken pics will be available in perpetuity to future employers and mates) and Number 3: It will make it easier for them to document people who may be engaging in online harassment if they have to pull content at a later date through a subpoena.

I'm betting that they are using this to license and sell seized content for use on other sites since a lot of art students (and businesses) wrongfully use social networking sites for free advertising meaning they are losing money. Look on Myspace sometime and see how much of it is commercial versus personal pages.

Me, I still can't figure out why people are so obsessed with a site that was intended for college students. It's unhealthy and inappropriate for adults to hang out on those sites but I think that shows you just how socially isolated people are now.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes, they are not always viewed by judges as legally binding from what I've read. They're seen as shot gun marriages and hence can be challenged.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Hah! This is nothing. Knowing the megalomania of the sociopaths behind all this soon the terms of service will be something like "once you upload a photograph of yourself we own your very soul".

There's no such thing as a free lunch, all these supposed free social sites want the data and that data feeds into a global espionage ring feeding the world's elites. Pretty much anyone with a webpresence has been classified and catalogued, probably many times over. Knowledge is power, it should not be surprising that power wants it.

Still, there is a positive side to community networking, which is that soon awareness will raise beyond the point it can be controlled, if it hasn't already, and the darkness will be flooded. It dosen't matter if they know someone is against them if that someone is part of a number so high they cannot possibly control with available resources. They have a lot of imaterials, like financial power and behind the scene corporate influence, but if people stop to think about it, the world elites are spread very thin on the ground and are only a threat while there is ignorance.

Still, those terms need to be challenged in courts so companies start retracting their corporate fangs in the future.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This may be of some help?

So how do you remove your digital “footprints” from Facebook?

Ironically, the answer comes courtesy of a dedicated Facebook group no less. The “How to permanently delete your facebook account” group, created by Magnus Wallin, lays our three steps to Facebook removal:

1. Delete everything that is related to your profile. That includes, but is not limited to: pictures, friends, messages, wall-posts, mini-feeds, news-feeds, posted items, interests, groups, applications, gifts….etc etc etc… Get the picture? EVERYTHING!

2. Contact the Facebook staff and request a permanent deletion of your account and that all information about you is fully erased. Of course, remember to tell them your user name.

Go ahead and try the following e-mail addresses:
[email protected]
[email protected]

[email protected]

You should get a response within a week.

3. Once you receive a reply from the Facebook staff confirming that your account is deleted, try logging in to Facebook as you used to. If you don’t get an invitation to reactivate your account it should now be permanently deleted.

blogs.zdnet.com...

IP

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

That doesn't make sense, it can not just take affect, people have to "agree" to the new terms. They can't just do them, without an "agreement"

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian

There's no such thing as a free lunch, all these supposed free social sites want the data and that data feeds into a global espionage ring feeding the world's elites. Pretty much anyone with a webpresence has been classified and catalogued, probably many times over.

great i'm in the doghouse then..ah well lucky i'm a soldier to be on the safe side i'd join the NWO security force..good luck to all the others mind.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I live by the rule that anything you put into the net is fair game.

The web is barely regulated, but people think it is.

Though I do think there should be laws about stuff that someone else uploads about you.

And kids just don't realize how damanging it can be.

Even anyone else, all anyone has to do is do a search and find ya.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I admit, I have tried looking up old friends and other people out of curiousity, the pictures were very small though as I did not sign up.
I guess if you want to see bigger pictures and more stuff you've got to sign up. It can be tempting to just say **** it! And just sign up already.
But I don't, because I don't trust it and I see it as a form of getting one to reveal too much about oneself, exposing yourself to law enforcement, blackmail by enemy's and old bad relationships, or even your angry neighbor that calls the city about the 'appearance' of my yard, and all those other idiots.

I am just not one to tell everyone that:
'I went and bought some bread today at the same store I always go to, and it was hot out, then I started to sweat a bit, then I went and took my laundry and aired it out a bit.
It was a great day, then I....'

To sum it up, I'd like to see more info on people I knew, but I don't care for them to know my business if I sign up.
But, I am trying to look at them, aren't I hypocritical?!
BUT, they signed up, I didn't!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Good ol' facebook, homogenizing the world one account at a time since 2004.

I would rather cut my leg off then have people I knew in grade school send me a message.

Fifteen years ago we didn't stay in touch with people we didn't like for a reason.... BECAUSE WE DIDN'T LIKE THEM. Now everyone and there mother has a facebook account with 50+ friends. What the eff is wrong with people. Back in the day, people would leave there hometown and evolve into something new. Now they leave there hometown but are given no opportunity for growth, because all there activities are posted on facebook and there old friends would be critical of any new behaviors.

Like I said, homogenizing the world, one account at a time.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You know.... it's really too late now. For most of us, anyway. Before we realize what the function of the internet and sites like Facebook and Myspace REALLY is, it's already been around for years. Our whole society now RUNS through computer networking/the internet. The reality is that sites like myspace and facebook only put a face and a user generated story to the already extensive psychological profiles which have undoubtedly been compiled through all sorts of data points that run through the network: credit card use, search engine searches, webpage history, individual personal computer data content (if it's connected), chat logs, IMs, cell phone calls and texts, home phone calls, television habits, traffic tickets, Ipass records, store purchases, security cam shots, anything at all that is connected to a network and able to be tracked or scanned or logged.

So... what does it matter now? This site isn't being threatening by being on the internet. Nothing on the internet can be threatenng. It can only help intelligence stay one step ahead of us. The only way to avoid it is to get off the grid, and move into the wilderness.... living as a nomad.... and that's very hard to do here in America, especially for an animal trained to live in society their whole lives.

So what are you gunna do about it? Nothing. Because you can't do anything about anything. You move away and run into the woods, and the exact second you step out of that wired world, another baby is born into it.
Something bigger than the Net has to wash over the world before we can effectively embrace some sort of resistance to it. People as a whole have to wake up. If only 10 percent wake up, that could be enough.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have no need for these sites either, but a lot of people my age think its ok to post their family members on the net.

Wasn't someone fired or suspended from school for posting something alarming on one of those face my sites? I do know for a fact though that a man was caught by the CPD in Illinois because he posted his gun on myspace and it matched the gun witnesses say he used to kill a 30 yr old transexual man.

If TPTB know your weakness then you are going to know about it soon. Be on alert ATS they see you.

I found this article a few days ago too. It says "Residents in Fairfield can report certain crimes online" how convenient

www.mercurynews.com...

[edit on 16-2-2009 by Aubryish]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth

There's no such thing as a free lunch, all these supposed free social sites want the data and that data feeds into a global espionage ring feeding the world's elites. Pretty much anyone with a webpresence has been classified and catalogued, probably many times over.

great i'm in the doghouse then..ah well lucky i'm a soldier to be on the safe side i'd join the NWO security force..good luck to all the others mind.

Judgeing from your issues using the quote function chances are the NWO already has you drugged up enough to lower your IQ to the desired "soldier" level. Enjoy the vaccines designed to knock you off before you ever reach retirement age...

Seriously now, I do hope you were joking, because the soldiers in this whole mess the world is getting into are probably some of, if not the, biggest victims around, and there will be much suffering amongst the ranks, not so much because of what they do in the name of evil but more because of what evil will do to them, both psychologically and actual physical harm.

Evil consumes itself, it does not have a stable dynamic. A wide glance at history teaches an open mind this quite clearly.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by Zepherian]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I've uploaded a few pics of plants to facebook that I probably shouldn't have.

'Hey! He's growing stuff that is now illegal... get him!

Deleted the pictures and any comments but its probably logged into a database somewhere anyway ready for the takedowns during SitX

I didn't post any stupid or embarassing stuff that my nemesis might use against me.

Look at your facebook, if you were an employer or employee hunter, the hunter/huntress would try find your profile to have a look at you.

Are you a fan of the Sleeping Club?
Do you like to do drugs or get drunk... and post it?

Anything that can be used against you even if it seems tame, such as visual evidence of you protesting at events or even supporting certain events, displaying too much skin, etc.

You can use Facebook to your advantage in job searching! Put up a false profile-

Claim of nonexistent accomplishments (personal- not societal, depending on the corporation/company/ law firm ideology and the like) and try to back that claim up with different methods ie: doctored photographs and faux, even foreign, diplomas that cannot be followed up on very easily.

Display a Type A personality.

Make yourself out to be an dynamic, personable person.

Don't bait yourself too much, just enough to not arouse suspicion that you're a huge liar.

Or just screw with the government folks-

Say you found an alien or alien artifacts and that you need help with resizing and cropping the images and posting them online.

Then sit back and count down 10 seconds before SWAT guys bust through the door to take you down10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i think its mainly jsut to prevent peopel who use it for spam and peopel who abuse the site from being kicked off, or deleting their accoutns and reopening new accounts.

by saving this information they can identify peopel who try to delete and open new accounts when they were possible prohibited from the site. Not to target any specific group of violators, but for example ex offenders can easly use facebook to stock, accumulate, or abuse people.

Many sites do this. ebay does it to prevent peopel who have been suspended from opening new accounts. even though they are overly protective at times and suspend people who are not at any fault. But in cases whee peopel get on and sell stuff and never send items they will be kicked off and will be much harder for them to open future accounts, and the saved data can be used in the future.

It is disturbing however that all this information is just saved and easily attainable by who knows who. and i think its just a ill effect of the great internet. But you either live with it or live without it. haha

But im more worried about the future. it will be hard to do anythign anonymously.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

There's no such thing as a free lunch, all these supposed free social sites want the data and that data feeds into a global espionage ring feeding the world's elites. Pretty much anyone with a webpresence has been classified and catalogued, probably many times over. Knowledge is power, it should not be surprising that power wants it.

You need to see the movie Body of Lies

They have this one computer dude that had like every muslim in the middle east classified... So they do a little research because they need to set up somebody with a false flag terrorist attack...

The movie makes you think that only potential Middle Eastern Muslims are being profiled, but No.... All of us Average Americans are being profiled... And if they ever need to pull off a operation in the USA... they might be going over some people's profiles in the future to use to their advantage. Random people that could help benefit their agenda.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join