It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Look At Facebook's Disturbing New Terms Of Service

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The only thing I find worrying about that is the statement that they can use your likeness and name for any purpose.

That, my friends, is identity theft, and it is illegal.

No organization is permitted to use your image and name for ANY purpose without your express agreement for it's use. There are no blanket statements able to free them of this restriction.

It's basic copyright law, if they are to use your image for advertising anything, they have to have your permission IN EVERY INSTANCE for it's use. You could be associated with absolutely anything without you knowing it if they didn't apply this law.

I'd like to see them try to use my name and image for anything, I'd sue them faster than they had time to blink, and I would win the case in almost any country.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Ive just created a group on there regarding the new T&Cs, apparently ive got 52 friends which im sure i never added (barley use the piece of #).

Ah well ill see what happens in a day or so, never know i might get a nock at the door.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Who cares?! If you have nothing to hide then what? They will use the picture of me with a rubber glove on my head and kill me? My real name is Chris Edwards BTW. You want privacy on the internet? Good luck! The government already knows if you are a nut or not!!!! They already know your name by tracking systems in software when you post violent and crazy stuff!!! I like facebook and it has helped me keep contact and find friends that lost contact. Go ahead, call me a "disinformant" or "government spy", BFD! Any thing that some people disagree with on this sight make others "government spys" or "disinformants" Good luck jack asses, Hitler tried the same thing and looked what happened to him.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by christopherledwards]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I deleted my facebook account a couple of days ago..I have rl friends/business contacts on it, not just "facebook friends", but, I felt that I was giving up too much info about myself....and I tend to overshare anyway

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
It took me years to become a registered member of ATS. And I'm a proud member at that. This is all the socializtion I need

I have one friend and she's been nagging me about facebook but, I will not conform! Whomever said they'd rather cut their leg off then have some from grade school contact you, I'm right there with you.

To be true to ATS, I'd also have to admit what a great way for TPTB to gather personal information about everyone. I recently watched Eagle Eye and was driving my husband nuts by saying - look, see that's what I'm talking about. I really about fell off the couch when they mentioned one of the places they needed to go was literally right down the street. 59th and Kessler in Indianapolis - I live around 48th & Kessler. I was wondering if they made different cuts for different blockbuster locations -it was totally freaky. Spielberg is scary! Sorry, off topic a bit. That's how my mind rambles

Social networks, bah. I don't even socialize in real life let alone in cyber space. Although, I have run across some ultra cool peeps on ATS I do enjoy reading.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
LOOKS LIKE THEY BACKED DOWN.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm a facebook user, and I have to admit, I love it!

When I became a member I knew what it was ALL about.

I thought "what the heck?" (like some poster here said previously), they already know the ways to access the information and track any PC user.
Do you really think privacy 'per se' exists on the internet?- I don't-.

And, I don't have anything to hide. I'm very open about my thoughts and ideas about the world. And yeah, about not liking them-!

About the right to use your pictures or name, etc.; that's not really nice, but whatever! ...I don't care either way

However, it would be great that people get informed before joining so they can decided whether to do it or not.

So, cool thread OP- starred and flagged =)

[edit on 18/2/09 by plutoxgirl]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Facebook is for losers!

I have my ex-girlfriend to first blame for joining it and then, a few weeks later I have her to thank for dumping me so that I had to leave that crap!

I have absolutely no memory of what I uploaded, if anything...
Still, I knew it was something fishy going about with that community the moment I tried erasing my account.
Seemed like you only could "freeze it".

Luckily, almost all the personal information I put up there was fake to the core!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I love Facebook. I use it to keep in touch with my family that is scattered all over the world. It's so easy my freaking Grandma and Grandpa can use it! If you are posting items on Facebook that could get you arrested or are using it to organize your terror cell than yeah, I guess you're in trouble.

I post pictures of my kids for grandma and great grandma and Aunt Sarah in Togo to see. So please tell me what I should give a rat's tootie about the new TOS, seriously.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
Facebook is for losers!

I have my ex-girlfriend to first blame for joining it and then, a few weeks later I have her to thank for dumping me so that I had to leave that crap!

I have absolutely no memory of what I uploaded, if anything...
Still, I knew it was something fishy going about with that community the moment I tried erasing my account.
Seemed like you only could "freeze it".

Luckily, almost all the personal information I put up there was fake to the core!

hey smart-ass! all the info on the profile was fake?, I'm sure you did a good work on your privacy and no one can track you because of that ... (insert irony font) LOL
BTW, was your girlfriend's info fake too?

You said that you knew there was something fishy the moment you tried to delete your account- well... duh!; the terms are in the contract when you accept to join. Everyone can read what they are getting themselves into. So, it's NO secret.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by plutoxgirl
hey smart-ass! all the info on the profile was fake?, I'm sure you did a good work on your privacy and no one can track you because of that ... (insert irony font) LOL
BTW, was your girlfriend's info fake too?

You said that you knew there was something fishy the moment you tried to delete your account- well... duh!; the terms are in the contract when you accept to join. Everyone can read what they are getting themselves into. So, it's NO secret.

Wuh...! Whadda...?
Are you flaming me, Miss?
You have no idea who you are up against!
Therefore, I will spare you.

I did not even have I computer back then. The one I have now is untouched by such filth, yeah you heard me: filth! I am now equipped with TOR software as well, so good luck tracking me.
Her info was/is correct however. She is/was such a bore anyhow.

By the way, what made you so cranky? Did the "L-word" hit you right in the soft spot?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Before you start complaining too much maybe you should read Terms and Conditions of ATS

Specifically these paragraphs.

3) Content Copyright: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyright privileges to the material you post and you grant The Owners non-exclusive rights to publish your posts in perpetuity in all forms. The Above Network, LLC has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and modify your posts to remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, at our discretion.

3a) Content Distribution: You will not copy material from these discussion forums to post on other websites or quote in offline research in a manner that does not comply with the ATS Creative Commons Licences that specifies the author's member name as a member of AboveTopSecret.com, includes The Above Network, LLC and the member as owners of the content, provides the title of the thread, and a full URL to the board thread.

While it doesn't bother me much - it does make me consider the content that I post here and elsewhere for that matter. Understanding that anything I post that I might not want to have posted as my perspective changes in the future - I have given up that right to choose. Anything that might be of monetary value now or in the future I have given up that exclusive right of full ownership to that portion of that material that I choose to post at ATS.

Just something to thank about - that I'm certain most of you already are aware of.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join