It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Proposed Legislation Will Require Gun Owners to Carry $1,000,000 Insurance Policy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well, the State of Illinois has found a way to restrict firearms from its citizenry not by banning them outright (unless you reside in Chicago), but by jacking the costs involved with owning a firearm.

According to a proposed HB0687, “Firearm Owners ID-Insurance," all owners must carry a minimum of a $1 million insurance policy.

Dunkin’s bill amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act, a previous bill aimed at chipping away at the Second Amendment. Dunkin’s amendment states “that any person who owns a firearm in this State shall maintain a policy of liability insurance in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person.”

If the firearm owner cannot afford the insurance or decides that it is simply crazy and also unconstitutional and refuses to participate, “the Department of State Police shall revoke and seize a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card,” thus making the the firearm illegal and the owner a criminal.

If Dunkin’s bill makes it out of committee and is passed by the Illinois General Assembly, a whole lot of people will have their firearms confiscated by the State Police.
www.infowars.com...

Will other states follow suit? Will this be struck down as unconstitutional by State or Federal Supreme Courts? Can the State Police even be prepared to seize weapons?

[edit on 16-2-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Since it is just a proposed bill, it would first have to be passed.

I know it sounds nuts, but there are TONS of nutty bills submitted each and every session in each and every state, most of them never get farther than being submitted.

I'd watch this one though, see if it goes to committee or debate

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I agree with you...early in the legislative stage, but worth keeping an eye on.

What does give this proposed legislation credence though, is that it is revising a Section of already-existing law from The Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Because this was already passed by the Legislature, very good chance this will pass on for a second reading on the floor.

Thank you for the response.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

You're Welcome.

I would suggest, that you send a notice of this to the NRA. Even though they have a whole team of people looking out for stuff like this, it never hurts to make sure they are aware.

The lawyers on their staff are much more familiar with the constitutionality aspect that you question.

Keep paying attention

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
bah, it'll never pass... not in a million years...

even though chicago can be politically liberal, there's strong conservatism in that state as well...

Besides... are we really concerned about the people who would rightfully carry insurance? Or perhaps the people who won't...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

That's all we can do redhatty--just keep on reading and studying!

I did a search engine query through the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times, of course no mention of this proposed legislation. Of course, I don't expect them to cover stories on each-and-every drafted legislative bill...I did expect to read a blurb considering how proactive the City of Chicago has become toward firearm owner restrictions.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Tee Hee, good question

Like the bumper stickers say, when they make owning guns illegal, I'll be a criminal.

I find it insulting that people who own firearms LEGALLY are the ones targeted here. I would think that there are many areas of Illinois that should be focused on illegal, unregistered gun possession rather than punishing those who own a gun legally.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I can't believe anyone would seriously consider this. So glad I do not live in Illinois

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Are you inspired enough to submit letters to the editors? Maybe that will alert them to this proposed legislation and get an article written.

Since it encompasses the state, I'd look for all local papers too and submit to them also

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I am definitely motivated to share a letter to the editors since my immediate family lives in the collar-counties of the City. (I moved away about a decade to attend college, but as the saying goes--"you can take the boy outta Chicago, but can't take Chicago outta the boy).

I just called my parents with this news and they were not quite happy. As they said, how many families can afford $1,000/month just to own a firearm (if both persons are licensed)? And how fair is that, for being compliant and following the laws?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This is the kind of bill the NRA salivates over. Apprarently Dunkin doesn't want to be a politician anymore. Even IF (a very remote possibility, BTW) this bill was enacted, it would most definitely be challenged in Federal Court and be struck down. It's a thinly-veiled and patently obvious attempt at usurping citizens' right to bare arms which has been upheld by the US Supreme Court.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Good thing I live in Texas...we are our own Republic and hell ..guns are like a bible here. Everyone has one lol..
Illinois...wow that state is just nonsense.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antmax21

Antmax21--Normally, I'd be offended by your comment...but the State of Illinois has done little to make residents and natives of Illinois proud. Many of us are actually feeling "better off" for living in neighboring states like Missouri. (Never thought I'd utter those words when I was in high school).

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I visited Illinois House of Representative Ken Dunkin 5th-District's website to read about his stance on gun control.

This year Rep. Dunkin is supporting a package of gun control laws that will make it harder for criminals to get their hands on deadly firearms. One measure supported by Dunkin would limit handgun purchases to one per month, which would cut off a supply of guns purchased by “straw buyers.” Another measure would require more parents to use gun locks when minors are present and would stiffen penalties for parents who do not comply. Dunkin also continues to support a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.
Rep. Ken Dunkin Website

No mention of his proposed legislation to require firearm owners to show proof of insurance when applying for their Firearm License though. Apparently, this falls under his "package of gun control" laws he is aggressively pushing in the Illinois General Assembly this year.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

All I'm going to say is if you enjoy your 2nd Amendment rights...get in touch with the NRA, and get this guy out of office when his term is done.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antmax21

This Dunkin fellow hails from the same U.S. Rep. district of Congressman Bobby Rush, who also has very strict views that are pro-gun control.

Most people also think the State of Illinois is rather Republican "downstate," but many Dem candidates picked-up seats as they were able to ride Obama's coat-tails in this past election.

Lastly, because Mayor Daley is also a huge advocate of gun control the media rarely covers stories that are anti-gun control efforts.

The NRA and GOA better step-up to the plate on this one...Illinois is about to use their power with Obama/Emmanuel/Axelrod/Duncan and other Illinoisians in the White House to their fullest!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Glenn Beck is interviewing a constitutional attorney about H.R. 45, which is yet another gun control proposed legislation out of Chicago.

H.R.45 was introduced by Rep. Bobby Rush, which is from the same part of Chicago and district as IL legistlator Ken Durkin.

If they had it there way, we'd have no guns at all.

Must be a South Side thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
in the words of Charleston Heston " you will have to pry my weapon out of my cold dead hands"

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
in the words of Charleston Heston " you will have to pry my weapon out of my cold dead hands"

That is a classic quote.

Sadly, in the event of a forced emergency evacuation, local police will enter your home and seize all weapons from our houses. And if you are carrying your weapon during evacuation, it is also seized. (Cameras in/around New Orleans during hurricanes and 500-year floods in Iowa showed us that reality.)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This story just received major airtime on the Glenn Beck TV show.

I'm glad to see the mainstream media is finally jumping on board here.

The Federal government may not ban our firearms outright, but they'll just make it so economically-impossible for people to purchase/maintain a gun, the same outcome is achieved.

Americans should be OUTRAGED by this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join