It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Hallmark Day!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Anyone else find this holiday to be ridiculous?
I really think it is a ploy and a stupid one at that.
Who the heck is St. Valentine anyway?
Shouldn't we show we love people every day of the year?

I know others feel this way....
but what I want to know is who actually likes this holiday?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
SDog? you like Valentine's Day?

White Roses mean true love, correct?
Yellow is friendship...
Red is passion? rose color meanings

The rose industry is in on it!!!
I hate the smell of roses...

See the song by Outkast...Roses... lol

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
SDog? you like Valentine's Day?

My opinion, as per usual, is of little to no value to my other half.

Edit to sweeten the pot:

[edit on 14 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
why? do you know?
what does she like about it?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
A person I know has decorated her house all "hearty and red". I don't get it.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The card companies
The roses industry
The jewlery companies
The chocolate companies
The gift box companies and tissue wrap companies
The restaurant businesses.... who else?

oh yeah red and pink candle makers....

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Actually, she couldn't care less.

She thinks killing plants for ego is wrong and a waste of money.

She's never turned down chocolates though, as I have never turned down the lovin.

[edit on 14 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
and pajama-grams.... ewwww.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
oh so it's a guarantee for sex at least once a year.... lol I guess the sex industry is also in on it.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
oh so it's a guarantee for sex at least once a year.... lol

Ha, a year!
Not likely.

Not even for today.

I guess the sex industry is also in on it.

Those video tapes were "art"
I was young and needed the money ...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
lol. I think I saw that one.

Had a dog in it anyway.....
and miniature ponies....

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Ah, the old dog and pony show.

Good times ...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

The U.S. Greeting Card Association estimates that approximately one billion valentines are sent each year worldwide, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year, behind Christmas.

en.wikipedia.org...

Indeed. Nothing says 'love' like cardboard sentimentality. Maybe it's just me, but segregating a day to express love seems rather trite. I suppose ultimately I see the day as contrived and cheap. But then I don't require a special day to express my love and devotion. That's a year-round effort.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I remember in grade school, hanging my "cardboard mailbox" off the side of my desk... I remember being embarrassed to hang it there. What if no one gave me any?

Then it would be full of course, because all the moms made sure each child got one. I got them from people I didn't like and gave them to people I didn't like... I think my dislike of the holiday started there...

Nothing like getting a "be mine" from a person you cringe at.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
To further proof of the conspiracy of "St. Valentine's Day", here's some info on the truth of Saint Valentine.

Numerous early Christian martyrs were named Valentine. Until 1969, the Catholic Church formally recognized eleven Valentine's Days. The Valentines honored on February 14 are Valentine of Rome (Valentinus presb. m. Romae) and Valentine of Terni (Valentinus ep. Interamnensis m. Romae).

No romantic elements are present in the original early medieval biographies of either of these martyrs. By the time a Saint Valentine became linked to romance in the fourteenth century, distinctions between Valentine of Rome and Valentine of Terni were utterly lost.

And further...

The Early Medieval acta of either Saint Valentine were excerpted by Bede and briefly expounded in Legenda Aurea. According to that version, St Valentine was persecuted as a Christian and interrogated by Roman Emperor Claudius II in person. Claudius was impressed by Valentine and had a discussion with him, attempting to get him to convert to Roman paganism in order to save his life. Valentine refused and tried to convert Claudius to Christianity instead. Because of this, he was executed. Before his execution, he is reported to have performed a miracle by healing the blind daughter of his jailer.

Legenda Aurea still providing no connections whatsoever with sentimental love, appropriate lore has been embroidered in modern times to portray Valentine as a priest who refused an unattested law attributed to Roman Emperor Claudius II, allegedly ordering that young men remain single. The Emperor supposedly did this to grow his army, believing that married men did not make for good soldiers. The priest Valentine, however, secretly performed marriage ceremonies for young men. When Claudius found out about this, he had Valentine arrested and thrown in jail. In an embellishment to The Golden Legend, on the evening before Valentine was to be executed, he wrote the first "valentine" himself, addressed to a young girl variously identified as his beloved, as the jailer's daughter whom he had befriended and healed, or both. It was a note that read "From your Valentine."

Proof conclusive of the greeting card industries insidious plot...

In the United States, the first mass-produced valentines of embossed paper lace were produced and sold shortly after 1847 by Esther Howland (1828-1904) of Worcester, Massachusetts. Her father operated a large book and stationery store...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
For the grouchy ladies:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm gonna go around giving stars for Valentines Day... I like stars better than hearts.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I think I'll give out rotten eggs. Because love is great unless you mishandle it, then it just stinks.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
My husband is a pretty romantic guy all the time, but we enjoy Valentine's Day. It's a good excuse to say things we always feel, and do things that make the day special, just the two of us. It's really the only day devoted exclusively to romantic love.

There have been times in my life when I had no Valentine on Valentine's Day, and those years I just ignored it. But those days just make the day even happier now.

At least, I assume my husband feels the same way. If not, he's a really good actor!

That's why I'm not posting on here until late at night.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join