It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Satellite Debris Falling Across The Region

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Sounds like another daylight fireball to me. 'Silvery objects falling from the sky' is a fairly common description for meteors/fireballs.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I replied to your last post on page 4 ...

I think alot of this is just showing up in the news as of late, due to the "commotion' of the Texas sightings. In any case it can be a lesson in learning fireballs are a common occurance.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I know, don't take it the wrong way... just making sure everybody realizes this is not space junk.

If space junk is found, it's going to look twisted/irregular/pitted, and probably scorched! Most of it is going to be too small to survive reentry anyway.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a huge, extremely hot burning, chunk of metal fell through a business in NJ

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6664713

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

lol - that has already been posted (last page) and explained, and it wasn't "burning" or even "hot" it was just warm. As I said before, no way was this junk from space... unknown terrestrial junk, yes.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

There is no correlation between the flash of light seen and sonic boom heard Friday night and the collision last Tuesday of two orbital satellites, said Regina Winchester, a public affairs officer at the United States Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base near Omaha, Neb.

www.thetimestribune.com...

That is what the local paper is reporting. I've yet to hear what caused the hay barn inferno that followed the event.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnTheBaptist

It was a meteor. The fire is unrelated. When meteors like this fall, they are not even warm.

Meteorite hunters searching near West find what they believe was the source of Sunday’s rumble and flash in the sky

A reporter was talking with a pair of meteorite hunters this afternoon when one of them suddenly bent down and picked something up off the dirt, less than a foot from the writer’s shoe.

Moritz Karl quickly showed it to his colleague, Michael Farmer, who eyed it quizzically for a split-second before saying, “Is that … ?” Then, with realization, “That’s it!”

Source

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

How do they determine on the spot - right at the site before testing it - it's a meteorite and not some random rock?

I think I may have some of these in my garden

[edit on 19-2-2009 by violet]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   

A reporter was talking with a pair of meteorite hunters this afternoon when one of them suddenly bent down and picked something up off the dirt, less than a foot from the writer’s shoe.

this sounds sooo unlikely... nobody has dumb luck like that. I would bet it's not related to the recent Texas sighting.

sounds more like a magic trick....

[edit on 19-2-2009 by imitator]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
This sort of goes with this category....

Originally the reports from CNN indicated that the object that fell over Texas was not debris from the two crashed satellites, Kosmos 2251 Iridium 33. Stating:

"Early speculation was that it might have been debris from two satellites -- one American, one Russian -- that rammed into each other in space a week ago.

But the U.S. Strategic Command, which tracks satellite debris, said it was not. "There is no correlation between those reports and any of that debris from the collision," command spokeswoman Maj. Regina Winchester told CNN Monday."-CNN (See article below for full story)

CNN Article

Why is no one mentioning the rapid turn the object appears to make towards the left of the screen. No meteorite could make such a movement entering the atmosphere. ("Shooting stars" never suddenly arc in one direction or the other they move in strait lines.)

Sorry I could not get the Youtube Video button to work, I apologize please click on the link to see the videos.

First Video

Watch the above video between 0.10-0.16 of this CNN video uploaded on Youtube.

This object seems to make a sharp turn toward the left of the screen.

Second Video

Watch the above video from 0.10-0.15...or from 0.26-0.32.

In this video it almost appears to first turn to the right of the screen and then turns sharply to the left of the screen diving into the ground.

I want to hear what anyone else has to say about this.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
How do they determine on the spot - right at the site before testing it - it's a meteorite and not some random rock?

Experience. Meteorites are quite distinctive, if you know what you're looking for, although the differences might not be noticed so easily by someone who does not know what to look for.

Also, we know this is real since they are not the only team to have found meteorites in the area:

UNT astronomers say they found 2 samples of meteor

DALLAS - Two samples of fresh material from a meteor that alarmed numerous residents when it streaked across the Texas sky on Sunday have been found in a pasture in West.

University of North Texas observatory manager Preston Starr and UNT's director of the planetarium and astronomy lab program Ron DiIulio said they found the pieces Wednesday about 5 p.m.

DiIulio said the pieces are about the size of large pecans with a crust that's black like charcoal.

Source

Originally posted by violet
I think I may have some of these in my garden

Do you live near West, Texas?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Studious

In this video it almost appears to first turn to the right of the screen and then turns sharply to the left of the screen diving into the ground.

I want to hear what anyone else has to say about this.

To me it looks like the object is cartwheeling through the air and that little jog it takes could be the object caught a bit of wind as it went from a streamlined track into a track with more friction. Think of a maple seed that helicopters to the ground instead of falling straight down.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

I explained why the meteor probably appears to change direction here. I'ts not uncommon for meteors to fool the eye, even of an expert.

Anyway, we already have the culprit (or part of it at least) in custody.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Deleted at member request

[edit on 2/21/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Strange...

www.newsday.com...

Warm metal crashes through a roof...

The Federal Aviation Administration looked at the object and determined it wasn't from an airplane.

Update!

Mayor Jerramiah Healy says the chunk of hot metal came from nearby _ not from an plane as once suspected.

A wood chipper eh?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
Look.... two Meteorites for TWO people.... I don't buy it, I smell BS. These 2 could be capitalizing on the situation with a magic trick.

No. If you check my posts above, you'll see that three (Edit: that should be four) meteorite pieces have been found so far, and by two independent teams. One of the teams are respected people:

University of North Texas observatory manager Preston Starr and UNT's director of the planetarium and astronomy lab program Ron DiIulio

From the source I posted above.

So we already have independent confirmation, and there will be more finds to come. If this is a scam then why are there so many people involved? Everyone would have to be in on it.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Deleted at members request

[edit on 2/21/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Your source "UNT astronomers say they found 2 samples of meteors"
shows two guys holding two meteorites, doesn't mention three or four.

Read again:

Source 1

Source 2

Two sources, and two sets of finds.

Are we on the same page now?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
could be from some past meteor shower or past impact site... could be sites like that all over Texas.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

could be from some past meteor shower or past impact site... could be sites like that all over Texas.

Perhaps, if there had been only one set of finds, but, these are fresh/pristine samples (ie. they have not been sitting on the ground for long and exposed to the elements), and there have been two separate finds. To find random fresh unrelated meteorites would be extremely unlikely - meteorites surviving atmospheric entry and making it to the ground are not that common.

On the other hand, we have a daylight fireball that caused sonic booms, obviously because it was low down in the atmosphere, and that is an almost certain bet to produce meteorites, and in many cases they scatter debris over a wide area, just like we are starting to see here. Remember the Edmonton/Alberta fireball/meteorite?

I expect we will hear of more finds in the next couple of days or so.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join