It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Browsing through Google Mars.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
...I came across this particular 'object' which stood out to me. Any ideas as to what it could be? It looks like it's reflective and it looks like it's disc-shaped but, I don't know, it could be anything........a rock formation or something?
Just thought I'd share

(Coordinates at bottom of image if you want to see for yourself)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Its hard to say, probaby just a run of the mill rock with a reflective surface depends what its structure is made from, i own meteorites that could easily give that kind of shine in the right light, could even be a silica of sorts. In short i dont know and am of little help.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Found something else that looks somewhat interesting.
It kinda looks like something tall has been blurred out deliberately with less detailed mapping.
It bleeds into the detailed image......Oddness?

[edited to add: bleeding isn't restricted to only this area which I didn't notice at first]

[edit on 5/3/2009 by redize]

[edit on 5/3/2009 by redize]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by redize

In the OP picture, it reminds me of the lander heatshield...

For the picture above, what's the scale? That makes a whole lot of difference. It looks like close up ground photo so the "tall" thing could be 20cm high or something

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I can see the blurred portion and it looks like there is nothing there that is somehow casting a shadow. Good find.

To add something I would like to say that we really know very little about mars and less about what occurs under the surface. For all we know there could be massive underground lakes and rivers that support underground life even if it's microscopic that's still great news.. Only time will tell. I really hope that 2012 thing never happens because they are supposed to launch a probe to Europa in 2019 and drill under the ice. The speculation is there are conditions under the ice that would support more than just single celled life and conditions that would promote evolution. Exciting stuff.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
reply to post by redize

In the OP picture, it reminds me of the lander heatshield...

For the picture above, what's the scale? That makes a whole lot of difference. It looks like close up ground photo so the "tall" thing could be 20cm high or something

I'm not quite sure what the scale is.....though the elevation says -2064m and the eye alt is -1969m.
The top image is still kinda odd as there are no similar objects in the immediate area around it....check it out

Thanks for the replies

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by redize

Nice find, there some more things like that in that area.

Although it could be just some brighter rock (and the colours are not real colours), it can be anything, really.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I just want to know where that shadow is coming from. It looks like the shadow of a building....

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You can see all those high resolution images if you choose from the "Layers", "Spacecraft Imagery", the option "HiRISE image browser". Then it shows the reference for that photo, and by clicking the red square at the centre of the photo you see a small window with information about that photo, including a link to its page, in this case, this page.

The resolution of the photo is 57.2 cm/pixel.

Edit: Sorry, wrong image, now is correct.

Here is another image from that area, taken from the file available on that site.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bc5b5caeacc.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 5/3/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by redize

It looks like someone was too happy with the "bucket fill" tool.

The original image has a shadow, completely black, but we cannot see what is casting the shadow. Probably just some higher ground, like in other places, but we can not know until they take another photo of that area.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12c9e917242e.png[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by redize

That's interesting.

I think the picture the OP posted is probably a rock under the right sunlight, giving off a reflective effect.

I think honestly, we're not going to find anything amazing on Google Earth, Mars or anything else like that. We know NASA has been doctoring their images to hide UFOs for ages, so if there's anything groundbreaking on Mars we aren't going to see it.

top topics

join