It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mpeg4 ?!? Oh cmon now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
MPEG 4 or (mp4)

I got these videos I want to edit and share, there is some really funny stuff here, but nothing I do will allow me to play these. Let alone convert them into something useful so that I can use windows movie maker to edit them and make something to share with you all.

Does anyone know of a converter that works with MPEG 4 files?

I tried yelling at them, I tried hitting the computer with a stick, and nothing!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Really? Mpeg-4 is a fairly common standard, I'm surprised your media players don't have support for it built in. Check out VLC:

www.videolan.org...

It supports MP4. Also, the ATS media upload site supports and converts MP4 files, without any problems that I've noticed.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

media player classic

sourceforge.net...

VLC will also play them

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
If you're using Windows, you may also want to try installing a 'codec pack', which will enable support for different AVI compression methods:

www.codecguide.com...

This should allow your video editing software (virtualdub, premier, etc) to handle the different video and audio compression types.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

You might want to try this open source converter.

sourceforge.net...

MP4Cam2AVI is a MPEG4 to AVI converter/joiner for digital MPEG4 cameras, it makes their clips DivX/XviD compatible. MJPEG and H263 are supported as well. Program doesn't re-encode video, just passes video data to avi container.

Once the video is wrapped in an avi container, you can edit in Windows Movie Maker which I'm assuming is what you're after.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Ugg, I give up.

Damn files. GRRR

edit: aparently there is something wrong with these files. I dunno, ill have to go to work and try and burn them again.

[edit on 2/12/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I recommend avidemux or virtualdub for video conversion, both are free, virtualdub is only windows and you have to find the codecs yourself., but the interface is a bit nicer, wheras avidemux is a complete package when you get it.

fixounet.free.fr...

www.virtualdub.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You are better off with installing K-Lite or MPlayer

DON'T use vlc EVER!!!!! It's an insecure piece of crap!!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Ok now I can view these files, but I can't convert them. GAH! if someone knows how to do it I can send em these two videos and if they would be so kind to convert them to WMF or MOV or something that windows movie maker can play I would be eternally grateful..

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I usually use avidemux to convert videos, including MP4 videos.

Also, avidemux is relatively good at simple editing, so I suggest you try it, even if you decide to ask someone else to convert the videos.

If you want it I can try to convert them.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
12m8keall2c was gracious to attempt to convert them for me, however aparently there is some problem with the formating of the code and that is why they aren't able to be converted.

I have a program that came with the security cameras that is able to play them but bugger all programs won't convert them saying simmilar issues.

I wonder if there is any program that will record what is going on on the screen. Perhaps I can just capture it another way. Or I might just use another digital camera set up in front of the monitor to try and get a recording.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Recording the screen tends to be known also as "screencasting" so a search for free screencasting programs might help you. On linux I use recordmydesktop or gtk-recordmydesktop, I'm not sure if they are available for windows, but worth a look.

if you can upload a small video somewhere, like a file hosting site, I and others could have a look, it's unlikely that no software can handle it, and if they don't, one can be made to, and a patch sent back.

new topics

top topics

join