It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mankind's Thirst for Gold, Crystals... Some food for thought.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Let me begin by saying that I don't claim to know any of this as fact, simply a few things that I have speculated on a bit. I have more thoughts on this subject than I'm going to include in this OP, but I'll add more as this thread progresses...

In light of the technological developments in the last century or so, it seems obvious why gold is such a desirable material, considering it's electrical properties alone. However, gold has been a highly sought-after metal for as long as there has been civilization. While not every civilization has used gold as money specifically, it seems that every civilization has ascribed great value to it.

Is it safe for me to hypothesize that a high esteem for gold may be programmed into our DNA?

If so what of the possibility that this programming was done in anticipation of the fact that we would one day reach this level of technology where gold is such a useful material?

Also, through the ages, people have claimed that crystals have certain special properties. Though, much like gold it seems like these are only recently being utilized. In fact, I would argue that Quartz is equally if not more important to today's technologies than gold.

Beyond our DNA and simply the creation of man though, Is it not interesting that when gold is found in nature, it is usually found with quartz? That's an interesting coincidence if you ask me....

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Working with Bullion ( well I used to until a year ago) , I can understand your reasoning.
Mankind has ALWAYS been interested in gold. I think there are a couple of reasons why.

1st , most logical, Mankind used to believe in the 'sun' gods. and gold in nearly any light except pitch black reflects the light very well, ancient man used to stumble across the gold nuggets on the floor and in the streams and think the 'sun gods' had blessed him with a gift.
Gold does reflect any light very well and if the light is bright enough does look like sunlight.

2nd ( not too sure about this next one but hey, its a theory right?)
Mankind was designed created by aliens, now (apparently) the Aliens use gold to power their ships and their civilisations, ancient man saw this relationship between the aliens and gold and took it into his heart that the aliens were gods and that gold was a precious thing to have, roll on the ages and mankind has discovered the reasoning behind the aliens need for gold, its electrical conductive properties, its medicinal values and so on.

Either one is ok, but gold , once youve seen it on the scale I have, gets a bit boring, 360,000 bars boring.

looks nicer in my wedding rings ( I have 2, one for my wedding and one to honour my Grandfather ) than it does in bar form.
And dont ever believe the flms when you see people carrying 10 bars ( most I ever carried at once was 8 , before dropping one), or throwing them like they were nothing, They're 2 stone or 13 kg each.

[edit on 10/2/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
This is something to ponder.Gold is heavy,cold and inedible.A luxury if you're trying to survive as an early hominid.Same for silver and pretty rocks.I always wondered why the super rich amassed so much more than could possibly be carried about.This is a clue,methinks,to our destiny.Good insight.Could it be because of some of our 'junk DNA'?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith

2nd ( not too sure about this next one but hey, its a theory right?)
Mankind was designed created by aliens, now (apparently) the Aliens use gold to power their ships and their civilisations, ancient man saw this relationship between the aliens and gold and took it into his heart that the aliens were gods and that gold was a precious thing to have, roll on the ages and mankind has discovered the reasoning behind the aliens need for gold, its electrical conductive properties, its medicinal values and so on.

[edit on 10/2/09 by DataWraith]

This is close to what I'm thinking, except I was attributing it to our genes more than to our ancestors' observations. Either way, I think there definitely is a link between our need for gold and the ancient astronaut creators.
Interesting that you mentioned that they would power a ship with it. I have considered the possibility that a gold electrode can be used to electrolize h2o into hho without suffering wear trough oxidation. this is material for another thread elsewhere though...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
It is my opinion that Gold and crystals have some kind of spiritual side to them which can increase our own intuitiveness.

Heres some interesting information about gold

Electronics
* Besides sliding electrical contacts, gold is also used in electrical contacts because of its resistance to corrosion, electrical conductivity, ductility and lack of toxicity.[8] Switch contacts are generally subjected to more intense corrosion stress than are sliding contacts.

*Gold has been known and highly valued since prehistoric times. It may have been the first metal used by humans and was valued for ornamentation and rituals.

*One main goal of the alchemists was to produce gold from other substances, such as lead — presumably by the interaction with a mythical substance called the philosopher's stone. Although they never succeeded in this attempt, the alchemists promoted an interest in what can be done with substances, and this laid a foundation for today's chemistry. Their symbol for gold was the circle with a point at its center (☉), which was also the astrological symbol, and the ancient Chinese character, for the Sun. For modern creation of artificial gold by neutron capture, see gold synthesis.

Source

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nasdack24k

If there's any truth in the claims made of white powder gold, the this would go far to explain why the ancients held it in such reverence.

It has been claimed that when the protojews were making their golden calf, this tale was in relation to them making white powder gold.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I've heard a little about this, never heard or read whether or not anyone has actually produced white powder gold or if it is a myth...

Anyone have more info on this?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
gold is basically the only awesome looking thing which isn't a stone you could pick up on a average prehistoric day - yeah they loved it, during the stone age the first metals we used were those that didn't require smelting and those which were easy to work - gold obviously fits into this group.

As we moved into the early bronze age gold was still the only easily workable metal we had, rocks couldn't be bent into ring shapes, goat idols, etc like gold could so of course we loved gold and it became a valuable thing to any elite trying to display is power. Most cultures develop some very attractive gold work early on, it's not until the moneytization of gold however that we see it becoming politically important. Rome battle many 'barbarian' tribes and of the most interesting events happens when the vandals enter the norhern boarder of the roman empire and the germanic tribes, the tribes have attach no real value to gold however they are all dripping in gold earings, piercings, broaches, pendants, etc, etc because of its relative abundance and easy to work nature. The romans quickly con, steal and trade all their gold away from them which quickly installs a system in which gold is a valuable commodity in the tribe.

This mechanism could well be why the love of gold has consumed humanity, when it became a token of power which was respected by the ruling elite those that wanted to play the game sucked up all available sources, rome had many, many bloody conquests in the search for gold for example. This then spread the idea that gold was important, after all if people are willing to fight and die for it they must be willing to perform lesser deeds for small amounts, right? Those that didn't value gold soon parted with it, when however it became important to do business with someone from the world in which gold was all important however they lost out. It stands to reason then that our love of gold developed as a form of evolution, those that didn't join in the game soon lost leaving the only people still around those that value and protect their gold.

The elites with large stockpiles of gold obviously wanted to maintain the and increase the value of gold and as such have manipulated the price ever since they grabber a huge pile of it. I think the reason most people seem to love gold is because everyone else does, we're brought up with the idea that gold is worth something -it takes a lot to challenge that belief.

As for Silver, silver is a natural anti-bacterial agent -it's also shiny. Having silver rings helps keep the hands clean, eating with silver tools helps keep you safe from illness, etc so if anything we #should# value it more than gold -but as someone pointed out already, silver doesn't look like the sun
An interesting note to history (listen up reptile believers) is that the myth that the royal family have blue blood comes from the interesting effect of always eating with silver utensils - the silver is consumed in small amounts and can effect the skin pigmentation turning someone a greyish silver colour - google image search colloidal silver for some shockingly funny images of the real poppa smurf!

As for rare stones, they look amazing - some agates are out of this world, if i found one i would keep it forever and if my grandfather gave me one he had collected i would never be able to throw it out either -thus the best most awesome stones got collected, remember we did start in the stone age -all we knew was stones and we knew A LOT about them. If while someone was smashing some rocks they happened to find a really hard. perfectly black stone then they would probably keep it safe, even more so a brilliant green emerald or sparking blue saphire or some such. These stones no doubt were often shown off, used in pendants and house ornaments and as now they no doubt caused people to look and wonder at their magnificence. Most people who see an amazing stone now can turn to a geologist and ask what it is, he'll tell them that the connection between the atoms defines the shape and that it's calcium carbonate or some copper containing ore - they didn't have our knowledge. to them they were mysterious and magnificent so of course that attracted even more interest and amazement at their complex forms.

So once again we've created a system by which we rate and rank the 'valuable' and 'semi-precious' stones, now that we know more about the world we've started to see that the system isn't very accurate or sensible but we still maintain some stones such a diamonds are worth more than others (although it is widely known that diamonds only have a high value due to a certain dutch cartels conspiracy) for no real reason.

It's interesting to note that this system won't last much longer, we have already managed to make small amounts of gold in particle accelerators, while diamonds are being factory made in bulk all over the world so before long the 'value' of these items is going to fade away, although i'm sure our attraction to them for other reasons will continue - hehe maybe we'll see an end to horrible garish displays of diamond encrusted crud and over sized ugly rocks on wedding rings and start to use these amazing metals and minerals for what they really are, beautiful and fascinating quirks of nature which when used right can astound and astonish with elegance and beauty.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Awesome post! These are all some great ideas. Personally, I think there's more to it, but who knows.

top topics

join