It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.A. Network Ad - Propaganda?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I took this screen shot from a U.S.A. Network ad. Is it just me or am I tripping out? This picture seems quite scary to me. Are they just putting the propaganda right out there in the open, in our faces? Just like "They Live", except you don't need the glasses to see it.

Here's the link to the commercial.

www.usanetwork.com...

I sure hope the image worked, if not at least there's the link to the commercial.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Im really not surprised about this type of imagery anymore...

These subliminal messages are everywhere embedded in all media...some more apparent than others...
many people think that because they aren't conscious of things like this means that they aren't susceptible to it, but they couldn't more incorrect.

These symbols are triggers that affect the unconscious mind unless one can consciously spot the trigger and recognize it for what it may potentially be.

To what extent are subliminal triggers present in American society? And how firmly entrenched are they in our brains? This all depends on out mental discipline and vigilance...

good find...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I figured I'd do one bump - before this gets buried - try and get a few responses. I'm curious what people around here think about this. Am I just reading too much into it? The images sort of remind me of old war propaganda/recruiting ads but maybe, again, I'm just reading too much into it.

iinvision says he's not surprised, maybe I shouldn't be either.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
well i know that both of those pieces of artwork were done by the same artist, although the name escapes me at the moment. what program was this on?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

It's a commercial on the USA network. Check out the link above.

It makes me think they are just laughing at us by doing this. Putting the propaganda right out in plain sight. Eh, maybe, whatever. Who really knows what the heck is a going on.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
With the lack of intelligence out there, they don't have to hide the propaganda anymore. Just put it out there and the masses will OBEY!

edited cause i cant spell, lol

[edit on 10-2-2009 by XTexan]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

if you watch this video perhaps you will gain a little insight...this is just the surface too

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I just knew there had to be an explanation for the legions of zombies blindly following B. Obama, agreeing with his every word, and worshipping him as if he were their God.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I may just be stating the completely obvious here.. but then again.. Its kinda late here..
Is it just me, or do the two images have STRIKING similarities?
Both images sporting the same chin line, the same nose and facial structure.. as well as both wearing suits.

Turning off the TV now and putting on some old Vinyl.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Does anybody remember the movie
They Live?

In the movie we had Aliens among us where else? controlling Big business and Government positions and nobody could see them unless we wore a certain type of glasses

I just found the whole movie right here
Enjoy
This is creepy

Google Video Link

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
well i know that both of those pieces of artwork were done by the same artist, although the name escapes me at the moment. what program was this on?

They were both done by Shepard Fairey, who is the man in the image posted in the OP

So maybe it's not surprising that he would have his two most famous works up in his studio.

Controversial guy, so I don't want to say too much more. He came out of the street scene, has a nice long arrest record for graffiti, a lot of his art plays with propaganda in a tongue-in-cheek political commentary way.

And a lot of people think he has sold out.

In my opinion, linking the Obey/Andre the Giant image and the Obama Hope image in this way is more geared toward highlighting Obama as a "hip" president who will speak for the urban underclass than a direct order to "obey HOPE".

But who knows.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

In my opinion, linking the Obey/Andre the Giant image and the Obama Hope image in this way is more geared toward highlighting Obama as a "hip" president who will speak for the urban underclass than a direct order to "obey HOPE".

But who knows.

Interesting take, I do see that, but my first thought when I saw this was "Obey Obama". Maybe I should quit watching television and then I won't see images like this.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Did you even pay attention to the commercial, or just see Obama images and scream "Propaganda!"?

en.wikipedia.org...

The guy in the image created those posters for the election last year. The commercial is about people who are changing "American Culture" - according to USA Network.

www.usanetwork.com...

I heard about this guy on NPR radio a number of weeks ago, some art guy talking about how street artists helped influence the election.

You can read about the "Obey" image here: en.wikipedia.org...

If this were slyly placed into an add about potato chips, you may have a case.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

The guy was one of the finalists in a USA network contest. The obama painting was his entry. This is background propaganda - the commercial was about his entry and several others. Next you're going to tell me that major league baseball is full of subliminal messages supporting bats, balls, and freshly cut grass.

This guy posts a screenshot and misrepresents its context to try to get people anxious. Please name a single presidential candidate in the last 50 years that did not have posters and slogans that were publicized during the election. You people are so gullible.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I misrepresented the commercial? I did say this was a USA network ad, I never said it was a ad for Obama. I put up a link to the original ad. Also, yes, I have seen the commercial. How do you think I saw the image in the first place?

I don't think I am misrepresenting anything. I am talking about subliminal type images thrown right in our face. Yes, those paintings were created by the painter but USA - owned by NBC, IIRC - decided to use them. I have a hard time believing they just let the painter throw up whatever. Maybe so, but that image is pretty provocative. After seeing videos of little children singing love songs to Obama I am worried about things like this. I don't hate the guy nor like him, I happen to think he's just a puppet. Irregardless, I am not going to follow whatever he says, blindly, and this type of image, to me, reinforces that type of "patriotism". Just do what the Pres says, he's doing it in our best interests.

I also never outright stated this was propaganda. I used a question mark, meaning I was asking for input. Maybe I should have outright asked if one thinks this is propaganda or not. I thought I was clear and my apologies for not being clear.

I'm not whining about getting slagged. All input is appreciated. For those that don't agree, my point has nothing to do with the stated intent of the commercial, it has to do with that image and what it can do and what it also MAY be doing to us, right now.

top topics

join