It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Quakes Build Stress Along Mega Fault Line

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I was following quite a few threads about an mega earthquake in the Pacific Northwest. There was even a webbot prediction thread about that that I didn't pay much attention.
But now, I came across the following article.

A bizarre form of earthquake, which happens over the course of two to three weeks but makes barely a rumble, are lending important clues to the Cascadia subduction zone in the Pacific northwest, one of the most dangerous fault zones on Earth.
For the last decade, slow-slip earthquakes have been measured in fault zones all over the world, baffling scientists. Though the 'quakes' release as much energy as a normal earthquake between magnitude 6.0 and 6.5, they produce almost no shaking.
But researchers have measured separate, small tremors at around the same time as the silent quakes. And in a new study in the journal Science, a team of seismologists show the two events are really one in the same.
Using a combination of seismic sensors and Global Positioning System (GPS) measurements of ground movements in northwestern Washington and British Columbia, the team has pinpointed the tremors as coming from between 30 and 45 kilometers deep in the crust. There, the fault is heavily lubricated with water, and the Juan de Fuca tectonic plate slides peacefully beneath the North American plate.

Link: dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

Well there as been some VERY ODD quakes recently. Oklahoma, New Jersey, Colorado (which has not had quakes before) a ton in Utah, but look at the map - a nice straight direct line to Yellowstone.

I still believe something big is going to happen.... when? who knows, but there has been a major increase of quakes recently, in some very strange places.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I agree. I have been following the thread about Yellowstone and came across some additional information regarding plate movement, tectonics etc.
I'm here in LA that's another reason why I follow the earth quake activities. Sometimes in the night I wake up and I have this strange feeling and it's like something is shaking but when I look at usgs nothing is there.....
According to the article I posted it's in the Pacific Northwest but I believe if something major happens it might trigger some other plate movements and quakes in a vast area.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

And don't forget the one in Southeast Kentucky that occurred just before the colossal ice storm that caused devastation across the region (January 27, 2009).

earthquake.usgs.gov...

It was the biggest ice storm Ky ever had, and caused the largest power outage the state ever endured. My parents just got their power back on yesterday.

What are the odds a rare earthquake would preclude such a rare and devastating event?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

Something is coming up. I have a weird feeling about that.
I am NOT saying that it has to be a super earthquake as described in the article, but something is cooking here....

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
questioningall, have you notice how quiet the New Madrid fault has been? It's really eerie. there are almost always 3-4 minor tremors a week.
What's up with this?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

There has also been some odd quakes near Lake Toba Sumatra, and that's a Caldera like Yellowstone.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

With all due respect, I have lived in Colorado for years. We have "mini" earthquakes here all the time. Where there are mountains you have fault lines.

That having been said I agree that "something" is up. I went to another site with a lot of earthquake sensitives posting there. They are all experiencing some intense physical symptoms that often precede a quake. Ringing in the ears, dizziness and nausea.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsBehavin1

I went to another site with a lot of earthquake sensitives posting there. They are all experiencing some intense physical symptoms that often precede a quake. Ringing in the ears, dizziness and nausea.

What area are you talking about? Could you post the link?

[edit on 4-2-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

[url=http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/earthquake]

I am new here so bear with me.
I hope this works. The name of the forum is "Earthquake Epi Center"

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsBehavin1

[url=http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/earthquake]

I am new here so bear with me.
I hope this works. The name of the forum is "Earthquake Epi Center"

Hi, welcome!
Thanks for the link. Here it is easier to just click on it:
www.websitetoolbox.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

Well there as been some VERY ODD quakes recently. Oklahoma, New Jersey, Colorado (which has not had quakes before) a ton in Utah, but look at the map - a nice straight direct line to Yellowstone.

I still believe something big is going to happen.... when? who knows, but there has been a major increase of quakes recently, in some very strange places.

as a colorado native, colorado has TONS of MAJOR earthquake faults in its territory. major ones! one rips right through aspen colorado. please do the homework. it's mind boggling.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

simple, none. I don't believe in coincidence...somethings lurks beneath

I do find if funny that here in NC, the temp fluctuates daily. One day it will around 60 then two days later, where looking at the 20s..10s at night. A 40 degree swing!

[edit on 4-2-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I live in Orange County and I have experienced the same thing! In fact about 10 days ago I was drifting off, about 1am, and there was a full 20 seconds of very gentle rolling. I am absolutely sure it was a quake. It literally took my breath away as it felt like it was going to build into a long rolling quake. It felt just about the same as the 5.6 we had last July. BUT NOTHING ON USGS???
This has happened several times in the past few months.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out

I live in Orange County and I have experienced the same thing! In fact about 10 days ago I was drifting off, about 1am, and there was a full 20 seconds of very gentle rolling. I am absolutely sure it was a quake. It literally took my breath away as it felt like it was going to build into a long rolling quake. It felt just about the same as the 5.6 we had last July. BUT NOTHING ON USGS???
This has happened several times in the past few months.

Hi, I'm glad that I am not alone here with this experience. I already thought I'm delusional.

Something strange is going on. It actually happens quite often. I feel this shaking, the room is moving for a while and when I want to look it up on usgs the next day. NOTHING?
How can that be?

I also came across an article a while ago that the ground underneath LA is hollow. Lots of ancient tunnel systems. There might be some kind of tension there.....

Here an excerpt from the article from the LA Times about the tunnel system beneath LA:

In the summer and fall of 1933, a Los Angeles mining engineer named G.Warren Shufelt was surveying the L.A. area for deposits of oil, gold and other valuable materials, using a new device which he had invented. Shufelt had designed and built a radio-directed apparatus which he claimed was able to locate gold and other precious resources at great depths. He believed that the radio device worked on a newly discovered principle involving electrical similarities of matter which had the same chemical, physical and vibrational character. His device appeared to consist of a large pendulum suspended in a cylindrical glass case which was housed in a black box with compasses on it.

The pendulum would trace a line directly from a piece of ore broken from a vein to the vein it was originally taken from. Hair taken from a test subject would lead investigators to the person who had donated the hair sample. It was said to have worked even at a distance of many miles.

Although he would not tell exactly what was in the box, Shufelt believed that by tuning into the individual frequency of a particular material, he could locate similar matter. He believed that the emanations and gravitational factors of matter influenced the pendulum and that, in principle, no two separate things were exactly alike.

Shufelt was extremely puzzled when one day, while taking readings near downtown Los Angeles, his instruments showed him what seemed to be a pattern of tunnels which led from what is now the Public Library in the heart of L.A. to the top of Mount Washington and the Southwest Museum to the north in Pasadena. He proceeded to draw a map and had it copyrighted.

What he discovered appeared to be a well planned underground labyrinth with large rooms located at various points, and deposits of apparently man made gold in the chambers and passage ways. Some of the tunnels ran west for 20 miles under the Santa Monica Bay, which he believed were only used for ventilation.

Link: www.reptoids.com...

[edit on 4-2-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

I do find if funny that here in NC, the temp fluctuates daily. One day it will around 60 then two days later, where looking at the 20s..10s at night. A 40 degree swing!

Yup, it's called a COLD FRONT.

The weekend will warm up with a WARM FRONT.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm not so much worried about temperature right now. If it gets cold, dress warm. If it gets warm undress. But if an earthquake hits........well.....

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by Evasius

simple, none. I don't believe in coincidence...somethings lurks beneath

[edit on 4-2-2009 by cenpuppie]

Lol, thats called weather mate, it usually originates in the atmsophere rather than the earths crust.

Its a bit unusual, I was under the impression that smaller quakes along major fault lines would release pressure, thus reducing the chance of a major event

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here is a link about the discussion around Yellowstone. I thought it might be kind of related:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Here the link about recent earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest. As it appears there is some recognizable activity going on:

www.geophys.washington.edu...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join