How to Determine If a Member is Ignoring You

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Being fairly new here, I am learning my way around ATS.

Recently I began to get the impression that several individuals who are members were not seeing my posts.

When I looked into it I was rather suprised, at first, to find that several individuals had indeed clicked the Ignore indicator which is visible beneath the avatar of whomever has made a post.

When any individual decides they would like to ignore another individual all that is required is for them to click on said indicator. When this is done ATS's infrastructure causes certain code to be inserted into the page which causes the ignoree's posts to be filtered out by the ignorer's browser.

Pretty straightforward.

But, the ignoree does not recieve any notice of this. It can be confusing.

And, of course nobody likes to be ignored. But, this is how we human beings are. Sometimes it makes sense to us. It's just another part of life which we have no choice but to accept.

Anyway, even though it's sort of a 'work around,' there is a way to find out if another user is ignoring us and it's pretty simple. The following instructions are for IE7, so I don't know if it's possible with other browsers, but it probably should be.

 


Determining If Another Member Is Ignoring You

1. Find a page which has a post from the person you feel may be ignoring you.

2. Right-click anywhere on that page. This brings up the following context-menu



Remember, this is only for IE7. It will probably be close for earlier versions of IE. The highlighted menu selection is 'View Source.' You just move the cursor onto this menu-item and let your finger up from the right mouse button. That's all !

This will cause the source-code which is behind the page you are viewing to come up in Notepad. At least Notepad comes up on my system. It might be some other editor on yours.

3. Search text. For Notepad this is F3, Ctrl-F, or from the Edit menu it's 'Find.'

4. Type in your ATS handle. For instance mine is 'visible_villain.' ( Leave out the single quotes )

5. Hit return

If it finds your handle embedded in the following code, then you are being ignored by that user -




<a href='#' onclick="messagepop('ignore=IgnoringMemberHandleA&source=visible_villain');" class='smalltxt' style='color: #CC0000;'><b>ignore</b></a>



6. Hit F3 to continue the search for your handle until you get to the bottom of the page to find members besides 'IgnoringMemberHandleA' who may also be ignoring you too, as was the case for myself.

My offenses were so egregious that I found nine different members all on the same page who were ignoring me ! I was never rude or insulting, but obviously was offensive to them. And pretty suprised as well.

But, after thinking about it, I remembered what it was like when I was in 9th grade and started going to a new school where nobody knew me. It was very clique-ish.

So, in my case, I think I charged into their sandbox with a little too much bravado. This was only due on my part to insecurity and fear of the new territory. But, as I say, people will do what people do, and I can't say 'they' because I am a people too ...

So, anyway, just a heads up to everybody who's new around here as to the 'ignore' situation. It is pretty adolescent, but I get that way too sometimes, so I can't really criticize.

 


On another note, it seems that there is also some BB-code available as well to hide comments you post from other members who are participating in a discussion. Little 'secret messages' so to speak which everybody else there can see but the person who's handle is indicated in the special BB-code. This feature is evidently 'undocumented' ...




posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain
 


Thanks for the post, I never really cared who was ignoring me, but now I can check if I want, but on the subject of ignoring, those who ignore basically have a personality of running away from someone or something that doesn't agree with them, they are building their own little box of isolation and will eventually end up learning nothing about the outside world, I know there are annoying posts on here, but even in the most insane looking posts beyond the entertainment it's not impossible to learn something from them, I for one will never ignore anyone no matter how annoying they get, you can't gain information with an information filter.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
wow thanks man thats really intresting. i found i was being ignoored by like 13 people in one thread. i wasnt being rude either, i just had a diffrent viewpoint than most. i have never ignoored anyone on here i think its stupid to do so. the whole point of a message board is to hear other views and what fun would it be if everyone agreed? you should listen to those you disagree with, they might help show you how you are wrong, or they may make it blindingly obvious how you are right!

i guess this helps illustrate why there is so little respect for the first ammendment these days. dont like a viewpoint? SILENCE THEM! haha.

thanks for the info! i wont ignoore your posts haha.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus
 


Hey, Thanks for stopping by! It looks as if you've been around a long time.

IMHO, this secret ignoring thing encourages divisiveness and clique-ism. But, like I said up above, that's how people are. In my case I did kind of invade their swimming pool, but I was very careful not to pee in it.

Personally, I think it would be fair if the 'ignoree' at least had some kind of notification that he/she was being ignored by a given ID. It would then be on them to behave themselves over it or get banned, I guess.

On the other hand, now that I've said that - maybe it is the best policy to keep it a secret ... after all this is ATS ( lol
)

Whatever. Live and let live is the way I try to roll through life.

I appreciate the comment.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
If it finds your handle embedded in the following code, then you are being ignored by that user -


This is incorrect my young Mr. Gates...

The source reference you are pointing to is a reference to the link where YOU can click to ignore THAT particular user. Hence source=YOU.

All content is pre-processed by filters and the source code of the page is dynamically generated. You will not find any reference to what user is ignoring you because this process is outside of the display layer.

Nice try though.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic
 


wow thanks man


No problema !



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Thanks for that, OP (Original Poster)! I have never ignored anyone here by pushing buttons... But I have done so by closing threads and not returning. [grin]

Really, I have never concerned myself wirth whether someone is ignoring me or not. But if I find myself curious...I can now look. [smile]

Thanks again!



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMine

Originally posted by visible_villain
If it finds your handle embedded in the following code, then you are being ignored by that user -


This is incorrect my young Mr. Gates...

The source reference you are pointing to is a reference to the link where YOU can click to ignore THAT particular user. Hence source=YOU.

All content is pre-processed by filters and the source code of the page is dynamically generated. You will not find any reference to what user is ignoring you because this process is outside of the display layer.

Nice try though.


Are you guys ignoring me?




posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If someone puts me on ignore then it's their loss.
If they want to ignore me ... I don't care.
I just continue on .... doesn't bug me at all.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
OMG !!!!!!!

Is there any way I can erase this thread ????????



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain

OMG !!!!!!!

Is there any way I can erase this thread ????????


No.

It will be recorded in ATS history in shame forever.


Seriously, it is only a logical mistake.

Just *shrug* and giggle about it.

EDIT: just stop posting and hope it will go away



[edit on 3-2-2009 by MoonMine]



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus

, I for one will never ignore anyone no matter how annoying they get, you can't gain information with an information filter.


Agreed. I think the whole "ignore what you dont like" mindset IS ignorance, not the denial of it. By definition, actually.

I never ignore anyone either. If I find what they are saying in any given moment particularly annoying, I always have the option of skipping through the post. However one bad day by one poster does not mean they will NEVER have anything to say I might want to hear.

I do wish you were informed if someone was ignoring you, however. It would at least allow you not to waste your time responding to threads or posts when the author cannot even see your work.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain

OMG !!!!!!!

Is there any way I can erase this thread ????????


Only if you can figure out how to ignore yourself.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Looks like someone flagged this thread!


Wasn´t me I swear, check my profile...

Sorry Villain, I will stop posting here now, promise...




posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
Being fairly new here, I am learning my way around ATS.

Recently I began to get the impression that several individuals who are members were not seeing my posts.

When I looked into it I was rather suprised, at first, to find that several individuals had indeed clicked the Ignore indicator which is visible beneath the avatar of whomever has made a post.

When any individual decides they would like to ignore another individual all that is required is for them to click on said indicator. When this is done ATS's infrastructure causes certain code to be inserted into the page which causes the ignoree's posts to be filtered out by the ignorer's browser.

Pretty straightforward.

But, the ignoree does not recieve any notice of this. It can be confusing.

And, of course nobody likes to be ignored. But, this is how we human beings are. Sometimes it makes sense to us. It's just another part of life which we have no choice but to accept.

Anyway, even though it's sort of a 'work around,' there is a way to find out if another user is ignoring us and it's pretty simple. The following instructions are for IE7, so I don't know if it's possible with other browsers, but it probably should be.

 


Determining If Another Member Is Ignoring You

1. Find a page which has a post from the person you feel may be ignoring you.

2. Right-click anywhere on that page. This brings up the following context-menu



Remember, this is only for IE7. It will probably be close for earlier versions of IE. The highlighted menu selection is 'View Source.' You just move the cursor onto this menu-item and let your finger up from the right mouse button. That's all !

This will cause the source-code which is behind the page you are viewing to come up in Notepad. At least Notepad comes up on my system. It might be some other editor on yours.

3. Search text. For Notepad this is F3, Ctrl-F, or from the Edit menu it's 'Find.'

4. Type in your ATS handle. For instance mine is 'visible_villain.' ( Leave out the single quotes )

5. Hit return

If it finds your handle embedded in the following code, then you are being ignored by that user -




ignore



6. Hit F3 to continue the search for your handle until you get to the bottom of the page to find members besides 'IgnoringMemberHandleA' who may also be ignoring you too, as was the case for myself.

My offenses were so egregious that I found nine different members all on the same page who were ignoring me ! I was never rude or insulting, but obviously was offensive to them. And pretty suprised as well.

But, after thinking about it, I remembered what it was like when I was in 9th grade and started going to a new school where nobody knew me. It was very clique-ish.

So, in my case, I think I charged into their sandbox with a little too much bravado. This was only due on my part to insecurity and fear of the new territory. But, as I say, people will do what people do, and I can't say 'they' because I am a people too ...

So, anyway, just a heads up to everybody who's new around here as to the 'ignore' situation. It is pretty adolescent, but I get that way too sometimes, so I can't really criticize.

 


On another note, it seems that there is also some BB-code available as well to hide comments you post from other members who are participating in a discussion. Little 'secret messages' so to speak which everybody else there can see but the person who's handle is indicated in the special BB-code. This feature is evidently 'undocumented' ...



read more books



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
ignore

The only one who figured it out is moon.
All that means is the HTML code that we see on our screen.
You know where you see your name mood etc and under it is ignore?
That's all that is, it doesn't tell you who's ignored you.
Its just html for the webp age layout.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The issue of the ignore feature has come up before, and I always felt it was unreasonable not to be notified that another member was ignoring you, so you could put them on ignore in return. Fair's fair, but that never went over with staff. I feel it would further help to avoid escalating violations of the touted "Civility and Decorum" so enforced here in threads. But nope. It still is what it is. Unfair, imo.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander
 


how true. you cant spell ignorance withought ignor...e.
ok there is an e, but you get my drift.



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican
 


Perhaps the staff and Mods are ignoring a whole lot of members and they don't want us to find out about it.

How is that for a conspiracy theory?



posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic
 


hahahahahahaha DENY IGNORANCE!!!!!

lalalalala #fingers in ears# lalalalala I can't hear you mr bad man saying things i don't agree with!

haha oh some people are so stupid, why come here if you don't want to have your opiniona challenged?





new topics
top topics
 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join