It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama nominee withdraws over taxes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Maybe these officials know that paying taxes is unconstitutional...and unnecessary!

In the 16th amendment does it state that "WE" have to pay income taxes? I can't seem to find it. Why can we go to jail for something that is now a law...maybe someone better equipped with constitutional knowledge than myself can point the law out to me.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
Well, at least we are hearing about this. Do you guys really really think that their are zero repubs in government positions that have not paid taxes?

Show me where all republicans in government office always pays all their taxes, and then I will be angry. Until you can prove it, I at least feel that this is coming out in the public.

How about this one?

www.boston.com...

Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee, released two years' worth of tax returns that did not list the per diem payments she received since becoming Alaska governor in December 2006. She collected nearly $17,000 during that period for 312 nights spent in her Wasilla home about an hour's drive from Anchorage, according to state travel records.

ssshhhhhhh, can't talk about that.

Or Joe the plumber? sshhhh He has some tax issues going on.

or Republican Ted Stevens. again ssshhh

This tax issue is a problem that EVERYONE deals with. Not just Democrats or Republicans.

Per Diem is not taxable...

Shhhhhh. I said it!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
Obama's picks are definitely MORE honest than the ones Bush put into office --

Okay okay, this quote made my day. How can someone be more honest or less honest? You're either honest or not. It's like saying "Jimmy is okay, he didn't lie as badly as Tommy did".

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye1717
Obama flat out stated "I screwed up".

Nobody's perfect and as President you have to rely on your staff and the people your picking.

Anyone ever think of that before jumping into rip your President mode?

I give the man points here, it's about time we start owning up to our faults and taking responsibility. I also believe he took more responsibility than what he's actually at fault for, which is also a mark of character. I disagree with most of his policies but as far as integrity this is a step forward in politics. Now, hopefully this taking responsibility for our own actions will trickle down to the general populace as well. We as citizens have been whining and crying and "it's not my fault" for so long I am truly concerned as to where all that is heading.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst

Originally posted by jam321
You would think that taxes would be part of the vetting process before nominees are nominated. Obviously it isn't or Obama could have saved himself from this type of embarrassment.

Obama's picks are definitely MORE honest than the ones Bush put into office -- without a murmur from the press. It wasn't until around 2007, when any real criticism started to surface.

I just heard a skit on morning radio where the referred to obama as "H & R Barack".

I don't care who you are, now that's funny!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie
Those so called "tax cheats" are not guilty of breaking ANY LAW. If you can show me where in the law of the United States it says a person has to pay income taxes or even file a tax return I will eat my words.
I can show you a video where not even the IRS agents can find this "LAW"
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

The money that the IRS collects goes to pay the debt on the interest that the privately owned Federal Reserve charges the U.S. Gov't for the "federal reserve notes" that they print.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Muundoggie]

If you work for the federal or state govt. you do have to pay taxes and it is a law. The documents you sign for employment states your wages will be disclosed to the IRS and tax will be with held and failure to disclose will result etc.

There is also a statement that says if you pay state tax you are required to pay federal tax. That was what got one guy out of paying it. He never had a state tax so the jury found him not guilty. There is an interview on youtube somewhere with a jury member who pointed it out.

So ya, govt. employees do have to pay taxes by law.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Wow, this is getting ridiculous. Well, why is she not resigning/withdrawing her position? Nah, that would be asking too much for a repub I guess (sarcasm).

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Palin billed the state for 312 nights spent in her Wasilla home during her first 19 months in office

From what I understand she charged the state Per diem expenses. I was under the impression that these were paid when an employee is away from their "office/etc" staying at a hotel, not in your own home.

She charged the state almost $17,000 for meals and incidentals.

www.google.com...

Palin's spokesman, Bill McAllister, said Wednesday he didn't know if Palin was still collecting per diem or if she would continue to do so. McAllister said her taxes are a personal matter and wouldn't disclose how much she owes. However, he said Palin would pay the amount required.

? Personal matter? Like any other politician that has been "outed" for tax issues have been allowed to use that as an excuse?

Palin returned to work on Nov. 7 — three days after McCain's loss to Barack Obama in the general election. From then until Dec. 14 — the last date for which records were available — she continued to charge the state for meals and incidentals, amounting to $1,168, an Associated Press review of records show. The state released Palin's expenses for the first two weeks of December on Wednesday. She requested the full $60 a day for all but three of the 19 per diem requests.

Per diem payments are intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business. State officials have said Palin's claims were permitted because her "duty station" is Juneau.

Palin also previously charged the state for having her children travel with her — amounting to $21,012 for her three daughters' 64 one-way and 12 round-trip commercial flights since she took office through last fall. She also charged for hotel rooms for the girls in some cases.

Nice, this must be the problem with my income, I really should have become a politician. So, for approximately one month she charged the state of Alaska $1,168 per diem, which is supposed to cover meals and incidentals when traveling for business, not living in your own home. That is far more money than I even have AVAILABLE to me to spend on groceries for my WHOLE family much less myself for one month.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
She also doesn't have a chef, like pretty much every other governor has, so saves the state over $100000/year by cooking her own meals.

Weren't all these allegations cleared up months ago? What do they have to do with Obama's camp seeming to think they are above paying taxes?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
She also doesn't have a chef, like pretty much every other governor has, so saves the state over $100000/year by cooking her own meals.

Weren't all these allegations cleared up months ago? What do they have to do with Obama's camp seeming to think they are above paying taxes?

I really don't think the point is "the Obama camp thinking they are above paying taxes".

From what I am seeing it is republicans having issues with democrats who have not paid taxes, when republicans have the exact same issues.

I don't like taxes, but it is law, and BOTH sides should be paying taxes, and I get angry when one side or the other ONLY gets upset at their opponents. Is that understandable?

It really irritates me when democrats do not pay taxes, and it really irritates me when republicans do not pay taxes. What MOST irritates me though, is when one side or the other points the finger while ignoring their own issues as well.

All of us, should be angry, when EITHER side does not follow the laws that the rest of us are expected to follow.

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This is ridiculous! EVERYONE should be helping to support our floundering economy, not just people not hired by Obama!

His crap better shape the hell up.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman
This is ridiculous! EVERYONE should be helping to support our floundering economy, not just people not hired by Obama!

His crap better shape the hell up.

Everyone grab your fishing pole! There's some good floundering going on in Washington. Seriously, the government needs to move the donkeys (party symbol) else the country is going to suffer for it. Step one, put in some qualified people, not outlaws/lawbreakers. Step two, DO SOMETHING!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join