It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska, Is Another Volcano About To Go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I've been watching Redoubt and decided to have a look at the two that are in Code Yellow.

Shishaldin Volcanoes Webicorder has looked the same the last couple of days and about an hour ago I noticed this -

There have been no updates about this posted but this can't be good?

Webicorder Link
Main Page at AVO for this.

2009-02-02 12:57:57 - Status Report
Nothing unusual has been observed in cloudy satellite images over the last 24 hours. Snow and ice still obscure the volcano in web camera images. Seismic activity has remained unchanged over the past 24 hours.

This message has been put up every afternoon for a while. Go to the Webicorder link and look at the last 24 and 48 hours and it stays the same until now.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
This has been going hot and heavy for a few hours now and no update? Where this is, if they don't have a satellite view, they may not know what is going on. Too many clouds perhaps? It will be interesting to see what they have to say when they update the comments.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This is going so long and so steady I'm wondering if its a calibration thing with the recorder. Anyone have experience with these?

Webicorder Link

[edit on 2/3/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I also had a look at the other volcanoes when first findng out about Redoubt, but didn't see them saying anything of concern. Then again I really don't know what to look for!

Why is Pavlof complete blue? It's been this way for days - or when I last looked at it.
Pavlof

[edit on 3-2-2009 by violet]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I know that looks a bit like a sustained harmonic tremor, but it's wind:

www.avo.alaska.edu...

Feb. 2. At about 0430 UTC wind started to pick up and is saturating the webicorder. At around 0800 UTC the signal began quieting.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thank you. I just got an email about it. You are right and they are also having telemetry problems.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Check out the activity at around 1850hrs.

Can someone out there translate all the big thick red ones? I am by no means even a layman on this subject but those look like big tremors.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by palg2

I think the red lines is where the seismometer sensivity is saturated.
In the case of RSO station, this is equivalent to an amplitude of only +/- 2.5 micrometers/second. It's not a very good seismometer, but I guess that since it's near the summit of the volcano, it has to be expendable (cheap).

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The red lines are recalibration marks. They put two new devices in place yesterday. I don't know if those are replacements or new ones not yet on line.

I got an emailed response from the AVO about the other volcano and they confirmed it was wind and a telemetry problem. Very nice and very quick response from them. People love to talk about their passions when asked nicely.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
The red lines are recalibration marks. They put two new devices in place yesterday. I don't know if those are replacements or new ones not yet on line.

Did you get official confirmation for this?

From what I've seen, the red marks on RSO station appear when on GEE (a real-time seismic monitoring application) seismic waves reach the station sensivity saturation threshold, and mean that the real ground movement amplitude was higher than what was captured. In numbers, red marks mean that amplitude was equal or greater than +/- 2.5 microns/sec.

new topics

top topics

join