It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tutorials on field dressing game.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Hi all,

I thought i'd start a thread on field dressing game that you are successfull in catching/killing for food. The main reason for this, is because i know a lot of members will not have done this before. Whilst not as ideal as doing it for real, video tutorials or advice here from members will be a great insight into what to expect.

It's one thing to find, get close enough to and hopefully kill something, but theres not a lot of point in it if you cannot prepare it for eating. Then theres the battle with whether or not you can actualy bring yourself to do it. Seriously, i've seen soldiers who have refused to prepare a rabbit because they weren't up to it.

Nothing wrong with that, except it's better to find out earlier rather than later when you need to feed yourself. Hunting game is not the only option for feeding yourself. If you can't deal with animals, you might have to educate yourself more in other food types.

I would like to point out that i live in the UK, so apart from a couple of goes at this with a few different animals, i am very inexperienced at this. Therefore whilst i am starting this thread, i look forward to people chipping in with advice/tips and more/better videos.

So i'm starting off with some videos from everyones favourite, YouTube. Like i said, i'm no expert so if there are better ones around the net, please share. It would be great that if some day we have a good list of vids, they could be made into a sticky for people to learn from.

Lastly, a pretty obvious one, the only thing i think is a must, is that anything video posted, is appropriate and as tastefull as preparing game can be. None of the vids of people assing about with the animals and being disrespectfull with the kill please.

WARNING: The follwing videos/information contains graphic images of animals being prepared for food. Edited to add, PLEASE do not click on the videos if you do not like the idea of animals being used as meat, they feature animals being cut up in a profesional manner for food.

Heres a deer for starters....this guy seems good, and whilst he does the whole process all the way up to the freezer, you can take a lot of info just for the field.

Field dressing your game:

Field dressing large game

Skinning your game:

Skinning large game animals for butchering - Part 1 of 4

Skinning large game animals for butchering - Part 2 of 4

Skinning large game animals for butchering - Part 3 of 4

Skinning large game animals for butchering - Part 4 of 4

Butchering your game animal:

Butchering large game animals - Part 1 of 3

Butchering large game animals - Part 2 of 3

Butchering large game animals - Part 3 of 3

Processing your animal:

Processing your large game animal - 1 of 6

Processing your large game animal - 2 of 6

Processing your large game animal - 3 of 6

Processing your large game animal - 4 of 6

Processing your large game animal - 5 of 6

Processing your large game animal - 6 of 6

I hope that will be ok for getting on with, looking forward to more additions.

CX.

[edit on 2/2/09 by CX]

CX

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Now a rabbit....again, a good easy to understand video tutorial, take from it what you need for the outdoors.

Rabbit: Skinning and preparing

One thing i have learnt already....the need for various knives if possible for preparing game, and also the need for a very sharp edge to your blades.

CX.

[edit on 2/2/09 by CX]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is revolting.

I'm sure you see this as /important/, but I'm utterly disgusted right now.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by helloblaine

We'll see how disgusted you are after you and your family have had nothing to eat for a week(s), and the grocery stores are empty or guarded by the military.

CX

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hi,

I respect your opinion totaly.

With all due respect i appreciate that this is a difficult subject for some to even fathom. Hence the warning about the graphic nature of the videos.

This is a survival forum. If you ever have to survive in the wilderness, you may have to do this. then again, i can appreciate by your reply that you probably will not. Your choice.

I would like to point out that i did ask the moderator first if it would be ok to start this thread. I was told it was ok. If however the management decide it's a bit much for the site, i will quite happily see it deleted.

I kind of envisaged this not being to everyones liking, which is fair enough. I merely posted the thread as education for those who may choose to use this method of feeding themselves one day.

As far as i can see, the videos are respectfully done, and show you a safe way to prepare meat.

Unfortunately i could not find any videos on how to get to the supermarket for that nicely packed meat when you are surviving on your wits in the widlerness.

CX.

CX

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ok i've edited the warning to make it plainly clear what is involved in the videos.

If someone does not like the idea of animals being used for food and they click on it, i really can't do much else.

Also, for those who do feel the videos are disgusting, i would offer the opinion that most of the animals will have been killed whilst running wild and free, not couped up in some of the conditions that the shop bought animal meat endures here.

The hunter probably has a lot more respect for his kill than many other people i could mention who deal with animals for food.

The video is tastefully done and you are shown a safe method of preparing food for the table.

I do wonder if people really think that the meat they eat comes from the supermarket originaly?

Again, moderators.....i really don't mind if this thread has to be deleted. It would be a shame, but if it has to go, so be it.

CX.

[edit on 2/2/09 by CX]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
These videos are of a survival issue and perfectly acceptable. There is a warning stating what is in the vids and that they may be graphic. If you do not want to see them the do not click on them. They are here for people to learn proper survival techniques. Let's hope we never have to use them.

Carry on.....

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
good videos CX. that anyone find this disgusting just shows how removed from reality people have become. I think its very sad that they don't know where there food comes from or what it takes to make it to your plate.

That guy really knows his business. it is one hell of a tiny deer he shot though.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

CX

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
good videos CX. that anyone find this disgusting just shows how removed from reality people have become. I think its very sad that they don't know where there food comes from or what it takes to make it to your plate.

That guy really knows his business. it is one hell of a tiny deer he shot though.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

Thanks, glad those in the know think they are worth a watch.

Thanks to the mods too for letting it remain here.

CX.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
to this day my favorite field dressing is how to field dress a rabbit without a knife. i learned it AFJROTC survival trainings, nothing too serious, it was in high school...but i've gone out camping a few times and i've tried it...it's rather messy, and it takes practice, but it's so awesome when you get it to work.

basically it comes down to this:

take the dead/unconscious rabbit, grab it around the ribs right up against the shoulder where the arms meet the torso, and try to squeeze the intestines to the lower extremeties...sort of how you squeeze a tube of toothpaste or a ketchup bottle....

take an athletic stance, i describe it more like a wrestling stance...good base, feet as wide or a bit wider than shoulder's witdh apart, knees bent so your center of gravity is over the balls of your feet, so your butt and knees should stick out a bit, head and shoulders up looking parallel to the ground...

while holding the rabbit as described, hold it high above your head, and then swing it down and between your legs, imagine a long snapper...your forearms will hit your thighs, causing an abrupt stop, and the momentium should cause the intestinse to exit the body somewhat via the anus of the animal...then you can use your hand to pull 'em off...

i have always been told to cook the food inside it's own case...the idea is to get the intestines out so any toxins don't cause the meat to spoil, allowing you to travel with it somewhat...a little longer than if you didn't clean it anyway...

off topic: keep the intestines, and use them to make a fish trap....survivorman did it when he was in the southern U.S. swamps, i've done it plenty of times, use it to catch minnows for bait...works very well

top topics

join