It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Rights and Self Defense

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I was hoping to get some opinions here about my rights and self defense.
I reside on your typical suburban looking street. I am a few blocks away
from a college, which is also on the border of a city who's town is known
for it's drugs, gangs and slight poverty. During the day everything is quite
peaceful. Friendly neighbors and local businesses doing their best to stay
float. At night car thefts have become a problem in my area as well as
muggings of mostly college kids (they seem to be the targets) who are
held up or their Ipods, phones and laptops etc.

Most nights I head to a friends house which is in the direction where things
noticeably start to turn downhill. Lately I find myself carrying a utility razor
(ya know the ones with the handle and the thumb guide to push up and
expose the blade). I carry this because I am worried that someone may
make an attempt to mug me.

Typically when I walk, I consistently make circles to see behind me, and
I often cross the street every 50 yards or so, if I notice anyone behind me.
I think this sends a signal that I am paying attention to anyone watching
me.

I am wondering if carrying the razor is 100% and undoubtedly illegal.
I have a great relationship with the police in my town, so I am not worried
about being stopped and questioned with why I have it. The police would
recognize me and probably just say whats up or something. Seeing as I am
not suspicious they would be on their way.

Assuming I was attacked and I had to use the razor, how much trouble
could I really find myself in if I were to use it in self defense?! Assume
I didn't kill, but it hospitalized the perpetrator.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
IMO it's best to be in the position to worry about what will happen to you after you have sucessfully defended yourself instead of the other way around

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Hmm not sure if razors are illegal, i don't imagine why they would be. I live in a pretty crumy neighborhood too, I carry this baby around when I go out for walks at night.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
Hmm not sure if razors are illegal, i don't imagine why they would be. I live in a pretty crumy neighborhood too, I carry this baby around when I go out for walks at night.

That's astounding. GODDAMNED ELECTRIC KNUCKLES. When Brass just isn't good enough.

@the OP; you might find yourself in a predicament if it's just one guy, and he's unarmed. Any other scenario, if you get your day in court, the judge will almost certainly go easy on you. You could also opt, as I've actually seen suggested on here, to get a glass bottle, such as a Sobe bottle, or some such. Club with it, or break and slash. And if you have an uneventful walk, enjoy a refreshing drink.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by '___'eviant]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

In a lot of states you can only met force with equal force.If they have a knife and you have a knife that is equal force.IIn my state force can be met with force.If they have a knife and I have a gun,then I have met force with force.
ALWAYS remember if you are attacked and have to defend yourself with lethal force.Tell the police that you were in fear for your life. You still have the right to defend your own life.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

Whoa... pretty cool. I thought brass knuckles were illegal.
While they are not brass, they still can have the same effects.
Those are certainly a unique weapon, and I think an assailant
would not be expecting an electric packed punch.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Indeed they don't. I'm greatful that I haven't needed to use them on anyone. The sight of it activating (theres a button underneath the pointer finger) scares the hell out of ME. It creates an electric arc that makes a surprisingly loud crackle.

I checked with with the SAPD before i bought them and they are legal in Texas, because it is not in the same catagory as brass knuckles which are legal in some states. Also the stun fist is made of rubber and plastic

[edit on 30-1-2009 by LeTan]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If I were you, Id try not to carry any valuables when Im walking by myself. I think that a little razor blade wouldn't do anything to scare someone that is set on robbing you, it might actually turn a simple mugging into a mugging/beating.

Best advice would be to make a lot of noise and run as fast as you can. If you need to carry something to feel safer, pepper spray would be a better bet. Immobolizes the attackers and gives you a chance to run away.

Peace

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

cluckerspud, if you do have good relations with the police, I would go to their station and ask them what you would be able to carry that is within the law to protect yourself. Just tell them that you are worried about being mugged and you want to know the best defence for it.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

cluckerspud, if you do have good relations with the police, I would go to their station and ask them what you would be able to carry that is within the law to protect yourself. Just tell them that you are worried about being mugged and you want to know the best defence for it.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is right in your face.
Perhaps I will take a walk downtown later and see who's on
patrol and ask. TheRealDonPedros pointed out that pepper
spray would be ideal. A friend of mine gave me a surefire
military issue flashlight, along with providing light it is geared to
disorientate an assailant. This thing will temporarily blind you
and has been known to cause people to fall over. Haha, now
that's bright. Thanks for your input guys.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wow, where do all of you live?

Must be some bad neighbourhoods.

I live in Canada, and although it is bad in some places like Toronto or Vancouver, where i live, i dont have to carry anything.

I live in a small town thats why, i have lived here for 9 years, never have had to bring stun fist with me, although, it looks really cool

That does not mean there si not bad people, but 9 years going on the same walks, and not once have i been robbed or attacked.

Then again, Women are usually preyed upon more than men. It is a sick world we live in, where a women can't walk down the street without a weapon in hand.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Find out if your state allows you to carry a concealed weapon. If it does, take the class and get the permit. Buy a small handgun to carry concealed on your person (if legal in your area). That would be much safer than a razor, as the would be mugger will no doubt be able to take the razor away from you and use it.

I doubt a razor is illegal, but some knives may be illegal if they are longer than allowed. It is much better to bring a gun to a knife fight.

Any weapon should be used if your life is in imminent danger. It is much easier to give the mugger the cash and leave the area unscathed, than to end up dead or seriously injured over a few dollars and some credit cards you can cancel.

Stay in well lit areas, and never go alone. A mugger will never target a group. A drunk college student makes for a great target, so stay sober and with friends.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Another thing that is of utmost of importance is a cell phone. If you get into a situation where you have to defend yourself and the person can possibly end up dead because you used a weapon you want to be the first person to call 911.

When the cops get there don't tell anything other than where the guy is and where the weapon is. Tell them you will fully cooperate with them once you have spoken to your lawyer.

Even if you know the cops it is always better to CYA first.

edit - spelling, grammar

[edit on 31-1-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

Any weapon should be used if your life is in imminent danger. It is much easier to give the mugger the cash and leave the area unscathed, than to end up dead or seriously injured over a few dollars and some credit cards you can cancel.

Stay in well lit areas, and never go alone. A mugger will never target a group. A drunk college student makes for a great target, so stay sober and with friends.

Quite a few assumptions here amigo. I've heard these statement before by many posters and I honestly do not understand the reasoning. I think, that you think , they think, like you think, and by the nature of their actions they obviously do not. I agree with the concealed weapons permit, but after that all bets are off on what 'they' may or may not do.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'll defend myself and worry about the consequences later. That's ultimately the best position to be in

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xwino

You are correct on not knowing what will happen. I do not know if the OP is an elderly lady or a very fit young man. They will have to decide what to do if (God forbid) anything bad should happen. If you are not very strong, the mugger may overpower you and take your weapon of choice away from you. I am suggesting it may be safer to hand over the wallet/purse and leave unharmed than to play Rambo and get stabbed.

On the other hand, if the mugger is a 12 year old boy and the OP is a very fit 20 year old, using the gun will get them in trouble. The authorities would have to rule on whether or not such force is warranted.

Hopefully the OP will walk with other people and never be in such a spot. The only advice we can give is out of conjecture. I give the advice I have learned from taking a handgun safety course to get a concealed weapon permit.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

i live in NJ bro. my dad was on the news like 2 years ago when the wolf pack gang jumped him.

NJ is bad period if u live near a high populated area.

I carry A KNIFE WITH ME AT ALL TIMES! i have relative in the police. i was also mugged 3 years ago for my phone and 5 bucks i had on me...

for self defense reasons... you should be able to carry what u want to a certain extent. the razor, should be fine. check ur local laws on carrying weapons!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Sometimes the best defense is to show both respect for and yet no fear of your opponent even when the odds are insurmountable. I used to live in Chicago and was walking home from downtown late one night (I lived in the near North about 25 mins north of the loop) and as I always walked cautiously aware of my surroundings and avoided trouble by crossing the street when I could. This time as I rounded the corner of one street there was a gang of young black men congregated around a MacDonald's that had closed for the night (11pm)...I am white. I think that they were from the Cabrini Green projects also a good walk from downtown. My first instinct was to cross the street but instinctively I made a quick decision that it would be a sign of weakness...that I was afraid of them, etc. Instead I turned up the street towards them. One of them got in my face to intimidate me (reminded me of that Die Hard sequel w Bruce Willis) and I ignored him. Then the "alpha male" got in my way on the sidewalk and we slightly brushed shoulders (not intentionally walking into him or giving the full right away). I really believe that he, the leader, respected me and thus they left me alone. Perhaps I was lucky...but then again they might have thought I was packing to have stayed on the sidewalk and not crossed the street....I dont know. But I meant them no harm and they did me no harm either....isnt that the way it should be? Peace - Out.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Sometimes the best defense is to show both respect for and yet no fear of your opponent even when the odds are insurmountable. I used to live in Chicago and was walking home from downtown late one night (I lived in the near North about 25 mins north of the loop) and as I always walked cautiously aware of my surroundings and avoided trouble by crossing the street when I could. This time as I rounded the corner of one street there was a gang of young black men congregated around a MacDonald's that had closed for the night (11pm)...I am white. I think that they were from the Cabrini Green projects also a good walk from downtown. My first instinct was to cross the street but instinctively I made a quick decision that it would be a sign of weakness...that I was afraid of them, etc. Instead I turned up the street towards them. One of them got in my face to intimidate me (reminded me of that Die Hard sequel w Bruce Willis) and I ignored him. Then the "alpha male" got in my way on the sidewalk and we slightly brushed shoulders (not intentionally walking into him or giving the full right away). I really believe that he, the leader, respected me and thus they left me alone. Perhaps I was lucky...but then again they might have thought I was packing to have stayed on the sidewalk and not crossed the street....I dont know. But I meant them no harm and they did me no harm either....isnt that the way it should be? Peace - Out.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Dr. Rufus told me that you can respond in self defence only if met with a force that puts your life at risk. Saying give me your wallet and shoving you is not grounds for pulling out a razor. Flying into your bed room at night trying to probe you and steal your mind is grounds for razor assault. But i would ditch the razor and get a kaleidoscope with a bayonet. If you live close to the college i would put a trebuchet loaded with a dead horse in your front yard just so they know not to mess with you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join