It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money is a Unit of Measure - Not a Thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Money is a unit of measure, not a thing in and of itself. But our economy and trading institutions treat it as if it is a commodity. I think this is the source of the problem.

We believe that the quantity of dollars is limited, or they must pass from hand to hand, from those who have enough to spare and need something done to those who don't have enough and are willing to do something to get it.

But since money can be created (and it is, just study fractional reserve banking) then in reality, money is a unit of measure, no differently than kilograms are used to measure mass, or yards to measure distance.

There should be no shortage of dollars to keep people at work than there should be a shortage of miles to lay down a road with.

If the people are willing to work, and the products and services they create are needed by the economy, why should money be in short supply, or why should the value of money available suffer fluctuations in value?

Discuss...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Money is a mesurement of time

Yours and Mine..

we use money to value labour and time.

gold silver or any other thing we put "value" on is about human time and effort

But some people value GOLD more than others.. its only metal

tinfoil is just the same as gold to me "pointless"

what is gold? what is silver? what is work?

sheep

good thread
s+f

link   
sorry double post
2nd line

[edit on 29-1-2009 by theresult]

link   
Essentially money is a unit of work-time.

The minimum buying value of money in the UK is therefore the level of the mimum wage.

I could spend £10,000 by paying 10,000 people to sweep the roads for 1 hour. Or I could spend it by paying one man to spend the equivalent of 10,000 hours to build a car.

Thats all that money is.

By creating money through commercial paper, printing by the Fed, fractional reserve banking etc... the powers that be are in fact simply creating high amounts of money without the resultant inflation?

Why? Because high amounts of money in the hands of the general population leads to hyperinflation (eg everyone would go and buy a Bentley and not go to work).

Whereas money in the hands of the PTB doesn't cause inflation (other than nominal wage inflation); it only stimulates the lower fractions of the employment pyramid.

Its immoral, but it had been working well until the totally unrelated collapse of CDOs.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

totaly agree, just in another manner

2nd line!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
If you scan a $100 bill on your computer, then print out copies of it and try to buy things with that, then you are committing a crime called "counterfeiting." It is illegal for a couple of reasons: First, you essentially get something for nothing. Second, assuming this currency circulates undetected, then you dilute the value of the currency already in circulation.

So why are governments/banks allowed to do it if it's so destructive? And who gets to spend this money first while its still fresh and valuable? Two important questions to think about...

[edit on 29-1-2009 by username371]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Money is a method of control.

Maybe for the common man, money is work and time but as long as the government can tax us on that work and time and at the same time print a whole bunch more money to give to their friends (and tax us on that too) we are under the whip.

new topics

top topics

join