It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Becoming the Culture of Fear

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
All i have to say on this subject is : Watch this , LOL!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I personally like doomsday theories and all thing dark, but that isn't and doesn't reflect how I live my life, I prefer to dwell in the light but play in the dark and that is what these types of threads allow people to do. You can discuss your most irrational and rational fears on ATS usually without ridicule and mockery. Fear is the emotion that drives and causes many of our actions.. fear of embarrassment makes us put on clothes, fears of acceptance makes us keep up with the styles and trends, fears of being homeless or hungry makes us go to work... fear of the future is what drives many to live for today. So fear isn't all bad or that negative.. it is the "act of living in fear" that is dangerous, not having a fearful mind or thoughts.

My problem with so called "fear mongering" threads is when MSM picks up on it and runs with it "without" a proper investigation. Don't blame the people for questioning, wondering, documenting what they might feel is a part of whatever nefarious acts they think is happening or coming, blame the media for not doing the job of proper investigative reporting and addressing the real issues of people, not the nonsense they tend to focus on instead.. I mean how many political pundits do we need to see on tv in any given day...sheesh... There's a whole world outside of govt and if it is not included, then govt will never change, so ease up on the coverage of that kind of stuff.. (sorry...almost ran off with an "ATS is too political "thought train
)

Back to the point, I was trying to make... providing a place for open dialogue regardless of how crazy the next prophecy might seem, allows for fear to be released, confronted and hopefully dismissed as the date comes and goes or as time passes by.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

What about people who just love to debate and will present any possible situation out of curiosity? I have done this and i am far from someone who likes to promote fear. Whilst some on ATS seem to genuinely believe we're all about to die tomorrow i still think it's a minority. Take a look at the survival thread. Plenty of threads talking about bug out bags and such but they aren't all talking of government terrorism or mass killing. Lots simply talk about everyday natural disasters and being prepared for those isn't encouraging a culture of fear i don't think.

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
1. The blatant fabrication of events or ideas

I don't think it's wrong to present any situation for the sake of it. Discussion can be fun and that drives some people to invent scenarios. Playing devils advocate sometimes is fun.

2. Distortion of documented factual events

Distortion of facts should never be tolerated, the mainstream media do it quite often though.

3. Stereotyping of cultures and events (ie, Israel)

This isn't a modern phenomenon, this has gone on since the beginning of time.

4. Threads based on weak arguments or designed into baiting a member into an argument

Trolling is a sad fact of every forum. However it's sometimes hard to distinguish between trolling and someone asking what they think is a very important question and asking it in sincerity.

5. Transformation of single events into cataclysmic global apolcalypse

Hard to argue with this one. One swallow a summer does not make and all that. Still there has always been a culture of people who have seen the end of times every decade. It's why i've given up on the threads claiming that we're all dead tomorrow. ATS is becoming more and more popular, sadly this means attracting plenty of people who have actually stereotyped this website as the home of the paranoid delusional.

6. The use of religion and prophecies as sources of fact

Again this has gone on since the beginning of time. The religious in the world (especially extreme christians) are feeling threatened and so they lash out by quoting scripture. This isn't just an ATS phenomenon it's a global one. ATS merely reflects a society.

7. The use of poltical view to influence opinion

Isn't that the whole basis of politics?

8. The use of a bias source, omission of conflicting evidence against ones argument and misinterpretation of ideas

Lots of people only read one argument. In fact there are studies to show that people will actually forget conflicting evidence, actually forget it. Have you ever tried the 50-5 pound game?

Take two cards, write 50 pounds on one and 5 pounds on another. Turn the cards over to the blank side and try to influence your friend to pick the 5 pound one. Now give them the option to change their mind, i bet you they won't nine times out of ten. People stick with their opinions even if evidence comes along to counter it. It takes a very disciplined mind to accept contrary evidence. To put aside your own ideas, to look at somethig without bias is a very, very difficult to hing to do.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join