It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Becoming the Culture of Fear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The Culture of Fear is defined as follows

Culture of fear is a term that refers to a perceived prevalence of fear and anxiety in public discourse and relationships, and how this may affect the way people interact with one another as individuals and as democratic agents.

What I would like to know, is if the people that repeatedly create threads about impending doom, the rapture or anything within the doomsday areas, actually believe that they are incorrectly influencing and in some cases inciting panic, among the more gullible (open minded) population?

The same people claim that others who do not agree or scoff at their ideas or ideology, are part of the cover up or sometimes labelled as "sheeple". In many cases here, the topics that come up are usually just as bad as the government powers they are sometimes criticising.

For example, George Bush's ideology of attacking Afghanistan was done, so that he would have an excuse of invading Iraq also. The aim of this was to get political support for the American people by using fear of WMD. An ATS fearmonger will use the same thing often in an over exagerrated manner. For example, Nibiru. There is talks of coverups by the government, and secret "leaked" pictorial evidence which panic some people, influencing their views into believing the posters point of view.

Here's a definition of fear mongering

Fear mongering (or scaremongering) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle

Now, Im not saying that these threads have no place on ATS, and Im not saying that they are untrue despite conflicting evidence, but it seems like ATS seems to be promoting ignorance rather than denying it lately due to fear mongering.

Several trends are appearing also, which have become more apparent in recent months, that point towards "culture of fear" type indicators:

1. The blatant fabrication of events or ideas

2. Distortion of documented factual events

3. Stereotyping of cultures and events (ie, Israel)

4. Threads based on weak arguments or designed into baiting a member into an argument

5. Transformation of single events into cataclysmic global apolcalypse

6. The use of religion and prophecies as sources of fact

7. The use of poltical view to influence opinion

8. The use of a bias source, omission of conflicting evidence against ones argument and misinterpretation of ideas

So what are peoples thoughts about this? Are we becoming a website dedicated to promoting fear or is this just an over reaction?

All views (and grillings) welcome

Edit for sources

en.wikipedia.org...

www.chomsky.info...

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.articleworld.org...

[edit on 27/1/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
all i will say is ...

i have noticed some posters do seem to embrace every doomsday theory they can find and run with it!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This place is, always was, and always will be a breeding ground for scare-mongers.

You see, its a human flaw that we all feel so self-important that we know something is around the corner at all times. Its been throughout history, these claims, repeated monotonously and without basis.

Can you blame some of these people? Lets assume you believe in God and think he has a plan for you. In this circumstance, to be told that you won't be experiencing something enormous would make you feel alone and scared. But the fact of the matter is, we are all probably going to die and the world will be no different from it. People don't like hearing that.

Disclosure of alien life, the apocalypse, revelations, a giant meteor crashing into earth, worldwide nuclear fallout. These are all, on the outside, pretty terrifying things. But I bet if you sit most of the members here down, give them truth serum, and ask if they want to experience any or all of the above, they would scream, "YES!!!"

Most of us want some chaos, if not to just make life more than it is... Boring.

I would be lying if I said I didn't want to experience some of that stuff. It may all be in the future, it may not be, I just want my life to be more exciting than the ones that precursed it. Its selfish, and naive.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll
all i will say is ...

i have noticed some posters do seem to embrace every doomsday theory they can find and run with it!

Exactly

I now see that the superbowl has been tagged as a possible "false flag" attack possibility, well the Op indicates its likely more than a probability

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I believe it is more or less people just wandering what they can stir up. Or what kind of hair brained loosely connected events can I put together that some one may believe.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

What I would like to know, is if the people that repeatedly create threads about impending doom, the rapture or anything within the doomsday areas, actually believe that they are incorrectly influencing and in some cases inciting panic, among the more gullible (open minded) population?

I have the impression that most of these posters are very young. Perhaps they are going through some kind of teenage angst phase, combined with a lack of life experience. They are gullible and will believe any crackpot theory they stumble across on the net. Seems the latest thing is 2012...

When you have lived for a while, you tend to relax a bit regarding the doomsday prophecies. I remember quite a few of them over the years.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I am a massive doom sayer, i've been talking about the economic collapse of the west since before 9/11 -in fact the first thing i said when i saw the news was 'wow, that wasn't the type of crash i expected on wall street' closely followed by 'wow maybe america will stop funding terrorism now'

I believe most things i say, i also happen to have been proven right on many points - the west can't support it's overly opulent lifestyle and will certainly collapse at some point.

We are locking in a spiral of greed and corruption which will if left unchecked ruin the world.

Also the ONLY constant in history is that violence escalates, once we had sharp rocks and we probably held back at first but soon we were using them to kill as many people as we could, now we have GPS and optically guided ICBM's armed with atomic neutron bombs launched from deep water submarines and at some point we will use them.

The world is a crazy place and it's just about on the verg of falling to pieces, if i saw my neighbours house was on fire and raised the alarm would i be a fear monger? would it be scare tactics?

Would you rather fall into a pit or have someone warn you in advance?

[edit on 27-1-2009 by NatureBoy]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
The world is a crazy place and it's just about on the verg of falling to pieces, if i saw my neighbours house was on fire and raised the alarm would i be a fear monger? would it be scare tactics?

Would you rather fall into a pit or have someone warn you in advance?

[edit on 27-1-2009 by NatureBoy]

Thats a bit contradictory in my opinion. If you saw your neighbours house on fire, of course you would call the fire department, but what you are indication is that you would would call the fire department before the fire started, assuming that the house is likely to catch fire for one reason or another

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

IMO some are truly convinced of the threads they create while others create these threads to reach some sort of self satisfaction. Some people get a thrill in creating a post that people are truly interested in. That doesn't mean that the person doesn't have an interest in the thread he/she created. I don't see a problem with either one. A person is only as gullible as one allows him/herself to be.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

hehe you ignored the pit metaphore

anyway, look at the world -can't you see it's in flames? The fire started long ago, it will consume us soon -flash point is coming.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I will star and flag this thread out of respect...

Just remember one thing... 9-11 is a beehive full of lies. And somehow the public is okay with this.

We are not spreading fear... We are spreading concern...

And I don't know what is worse... The fact that this kind of evil is taking place... or the fact that nobody seems to have any balls to stop this madness.

We don't live in a culture of fear... we live in a culture of uncertainty. Because I certainly don't know what the hell to think anymore.

While I do understand your point... I think you need to understand that ATS serves as a table of brain storming. It's up to you to filter out what i s BS and what is not.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I will say that ATS is just helping to "spread the rash", as things become more popular here, they gain attention everywhere else.

I am a senior in high school, and recently my cooking teacher mentioned something about Nostradamus and 2012. I really just wanted to tell her to shut up and teach me how to cook.

There is a special kid that goes to my school that will not be turned from the idea that the Earth is going to end in 2012.

Things are getting out of hand.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
I will say that ATS is just helping to "spread the rash", as things become more popular here, they gain attention everywhere else.

I am a senior in high school, and recently my cooking teacher mentioned something about Nostradamus and 2012. I really just wanted to tell her to shut up and teach me how to cook.

There is a special kid that goes to my school that will not be turned from the idea that the Earth is going to end in 2012.

Things are getting out of hand.

Now that was a far much better complaint than what the OP said.

Look... I do think that in 2009 we are going to see some serious ***...

in 2012 America might not even be working...

but the world will move on...

I like my name... Doomsday 2029 because make no mistake about it... that's the year a commet will come pretty close to earth... if that doesn't wake people up, I don't know what will.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness

That is a good point, but at least ATS isn't a biased website like rense etc.

But you are right, I suppose the more attention a topic gets on the worlds largest conspiracy website, the more attention it will recieve globally

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Interesting points you make Oz.

A couple of things I would like to add ...

1. Predictions are easy. Understanding, researching, analyzing, micro/macro trends and having a glimpse into what awaits us is hard. Anyone can type up a prediction and wait. Sooner or later something close enough is bound to happen to validate that prediction. So yes there is a plethora of mini blossom goodchilds generating silly prophecies but as most things ATS, they fall into the "mostly harmless" category.

2. The greater concern for me is the apparent disconnect from reality with some of these threads. We have some very serious problems and issues in this world. They are happening right now, as I type. Suffering is all around us, and some of us seem to be more concerned about Niburu than what is happening in our own neighborhoods. It's like someone is beating you to death and all you can think about is who hired him.

You want to think that everything is an "end game" conspiracy, fair enough, do that. But not at the expense of what is happening right in front of your eyes.

I only have a dollar, do you have 98c change?

[edit on 27 Jan 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I am so glad ATS is not biased, otherwise I would not be a member, one way or another.

ATS is gaining tons of popularity. It has been mentioned on radio programs now, it is the feature of Jim Marrs new book, and I even saw ATS linked as a reference in a random Wikipedia article.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Now, there's a "scholars'" topic, no? Take a snapshot of the four pages of the "Most Recent Posts," and just count the "fearmonger" and anti-skeptic
(antiseptic?) threads.

You will see that most current threads are either in support of the current boogeyman or questioning the doubters of boogeymen.

You really have to sift to find a worthwhile thread, and then, just get in and get out before the personal attacks and idiocy take over.

Not as much fun or enlightenment as I originally expected.

So, any "scholars" up to it? I'll help; but I'm still fairly new so I'd need some guidance. Think of all the places it could lead: Bogus links, false sources, biased "authorities."

The inventory of crap could go on forever, but also be a valuable tool to debunk the junk.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I grew up in the Vietnam War Era. Nothing has changed.

Then we were told that:

The oil would be completely gone by now.

All sources of Uranium would be depleted by now.

We were the final generation before Armageddon.

We were heading into an Ice Age which would kill all plant life in 30 years (that was 39 years ago).

The Communists would rule the world.

Drugs and Sexual Promiscuity would bring down the United States allowing the Soviet Union to take us over without firing a shot.

We would no longer be able to feed ourselves within 15 years.

All the Salmon and most of the fish would be gone by now.

There would be no drinkable fresh water left by now.

China is the Sleeping Dragon and will be the army that destroys the rest of mankind.

....and on and on and on.

Nothing changes but the calendar. Every generation thinks it is the last.

What did happen?

The Soviet Union collapsed and many were freed from their tyranny.

Our life expectancy went up by a large number of years.

Our standard of living increased dramatically.

We now know there are still huge reserves of oil, natural gas, oil shale and oil sands that can now be recovered.

We never used the Uranium because we did not build the Nuclear Plants.

China is becoming a Capitalist Society.

Farmers can now produce so much more per acre and in so many diverse environments that the only reason people go hungry is their Governments.

The trees are still with us and in fact there is more standing timber in North America than when they landed on Plymouth Rock.

The Salmon runs in many rivers have returned to large numbers despite the predictions of the doomsayers.

There is no hole in the ozone layer over Kennebunkport.

Most people don't believe this stuff even though proponents lie and say they do. Its like the current financial problems. 90% of us are still at the same jobs making the same money and the glass is mostly full. Wonder why there is no panic? That's why.

We will recover just like we have in the past, during far worse times and hand off the ball to the next generations to carry on the "End of the World" is coming tradition.

As long as there is money to be made from spreading fear there will be those inventing things like Niburu and fake people predicting all sorts of doom. Besides it keep the Discovery Channel and authors and writers in pocket change.

Since the first Tribal Witch Doctor discovered he could live the good life by scaring people with mumbo jumbo and they would shower him with all his wants and needs, this has been a tradition.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Most people don't believe this stuff even though proponents lie and say they do. Its like the current financial problems. 90% of us are still at the same jobs making the same money and the glass is mostly full. Wonder why there is no panic? That's why.

Yep, the Australian "All Ords" even went up $98.00AUD yesterday!!! And the local economy has just recieved a boost with the go ahead for a new natural gas rig out on the ocean. Hundreds of jobs are being created with that

As long as there is money to be made from spreading fear there will be those inventing things like Niburu and fake people predicting all sorts of doom. Besides it keep the Discovery Channel and authors and writers in pocket change.

Agreed, although you did forget the orgon chemtrail buster

But there are people that will buy these things....and continue to think the worst of the worst

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I get great pride in a post when no one replies to it. It means I did my job and hopefully spoke some truth.

People don't want their fantasies taken away.

Here is my opinion about the demographic here on ATS.....
-We are disproportionally more intelligent than most of the rest of the population (mostly)
-Our membership is disproportionally less employed than the rest of the population
-We are typically of a nerdier variety (I'm a bit of a nerd, even with my impeccable social graces, hah)
-We tend to be apathetic when it comes to action, but our words flow freely
-We are disproportionally more prone to anarchy (I know I am, even ignorantly)
-We spend too much time in our own head, thinking of what could be, connecting dots that aren't there

I could go on, and its massively fun to make broad generalizations about my peers, but my point is this: We are intelligent nerds with lots of time on our hands who speak without censorship and love wild speculation.

As I said, this is a place where the conspiracy people go and create even more of their own. Its easy to get caught up in it all, I know I am probably more than most.

But the bottom line is, as history has showed us, we are probably wrong about most of what we perpetuate here on the site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join